Where do you have Joni Mitchell among the alltime greats?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Dec 7, 2021.

1. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Joni Mitchell is simply

fab4ever and Gasman1003 like this.
  2. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

She was mad at the world at the time of those interviews, sometimes with good reason. And very uncomfortable interviews they were… I’m glad she has since thawed and has so many music-loving friends as part of her support system. Generations of talented people join in on her jam sessions. She really has learned to enjoy music again.

Kundalini, misteranderson and Armjim like this.
  3. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

Joni's guitar work is incredible. Whether or not due to the tunings, she is a very gifted guitarist. Hearing her double tracked guitar on Cold Blue Steel & Sweet Fire made me a believer for life. And that is just one exquisite example from that one incredible album.

Kundalini, AC1, scousette and 2 others like this.
  4. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

I want the whole world to enjoy being together. That is what makes our time on this earth matter. I am glad that she seems to be so much more at peace. She deserves it.

Kundalini, jlf and danasgoodstuff like this.
  5. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Joni's not bad, but she's no Adele. :D

RSteven and Gasman1003 like this.
  6. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

:laugh:

rlj1010 likes this.
  7. Joni can't quite live up to Adèle because Joni hasn't yet had the privilege of recording a song for a James Bond movie.

All jokes aside, her songwriting speaks for itself.

Kundalini and Gasman1003 like this.
  8. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Between Charles Mingus and Hank Mobley in my collection (I don't separate jazz from rock, pop or folk, only classical music is separate). As for ordering the greats, she is up there, probably #1 among the singer-songwriters, slightly ahead of Bob and Laura. But I don't rate her as high as the greatest rock bands or the top jazz performers.

9. somnar

somnar Senior Member

In the top five along with the Beatles, Steely Dan, Elvis Costello, and Stevie.

Kundalini and Vinyl Socks like this.
  10. jonnyhambone

jonnyhambone Forum Resident

Blue is in my top three albums ever with Hejira not far behind. Stellar artist and guitarist.

Kundalini, Gasman1003 and Paul Gase like this.
  11. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

in my top 5

Gasman1003 likes this.
  12. In my top ten favourites of all time, which puts her a long way above The Beatles.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  13. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

THE GREATEST singer-songwriter

Kundalini likes this.
  14. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

I love her but Mingus is the last album that I liked. In other words, everything before Wild Things Run Fast* is a must. Also, in her later career, Joni's voice has become smokier and somehow I can't get past that.

* Chinese Cafe / Unchained Melody is great though ...

15. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Up there - but I agree with the local critic who said that Stevie Nicks music is more real than the jazz mama ******** of Joni.

16. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

That’s because she’s old. There are people I see every day who are probably ten years younger who look older.

Joni looked amazing, and defied her age, for decades. She’s been through a lot since the aneurysm, and was a chain-smoker for a very long time. Takes its toll, eventually.

17. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

True, but it's still sad. Saw live in the 90s and she looked so good.

18. misteranderson

That very same charge has been leveled at David Crosby. Whether it's for good reason or not is almost entirely based your preconceptions about Crosby.

Brandi Carlisle comes off as honest in her love of Joni's music.

Kundalini and scousette like this.
  19. misteranderson

Well, apples and oranges regarding standard vs. alternate tunings. It's funny, 'cos people love to rag on Joni's "jazz explorations," but jazz guitarists generally stick to standard for almost everything. It's rock and folk players who get into the alt. tunings - Nick Drake, Stills, Jimmy Page, Crosby. Elliott Smith used a few different tunings. I think Joni might be at the top of the mountain for the sheer number of tunings she's written in.

She's a great rhythm guitarist, and even before she got into the alt. tunings, the Early Joni portion of Archives Vol. 1 proves that she was excellent at accompanying herself in a traditional folk style.

Kundalini and jlf like this.
  20. misteranderson

What does "more real" mean?

somnar likes this.
  21. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I have no interest in ranking musicians or songwriters. I do have quite a few Joni albums because I like her music. But I also have none by other good songwriters due to the fact that I don't like their voice or musical styles.

misteranderson likes this.
  22. violarules

violarules Senior Member

True. I believe Brandi became a fan of Joni, thanks to her now-wife, right around the time of Joni's stroke. I can see Brandi's fan-girling as taking every opportunity to tell your idol what they mean to you before it's too late, after thinking initially that you would probably never have that chance.

Kundalini and misteranderson like this.
  23. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

I
    I take it to mean less calculated.

24. misteranderson

It would be difficult to get to where Stevie and Joni are without some level of calculation. I'm not a mind reader, so I have no idea which of the two is "more real."

Kundalini likes this.
  25. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

Nor could she do what Brian does. It’s all opinion, mate.