Where does Steven Wilson rank?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by popeofcabinets, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I'd rank Porcupine Tree as some of the finest modern rock / experimental music of the last 20 years, easily.

His solo stuff is very good--to me, it's just a notch or two below PT.

Don't know how I'd rate him against Pink Floyd, etc. I don't think there's any group since them that rates up there with them, because they did it all first.

2. Shipped_It

Shipped_It Identifies as Musician

My post quoted Aggie87.

3. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I would rank Wilson miles above Giles Martin as a remixer of classic master tapes, that's for sure. :sigh:

4. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

He's not trying to be "Zappa-eque". Comparing them misses the point. Appreciation of music is subjective.

For you, Wilson isn't on the same musical level as Zappa's work. For others, it may indeed be.

They're simply different artists that inspire passion in their fans.

danielbravo and geddyfleaharris like this.
  5. Shipped_It

Shipped_It Identifies as Musician

OP:
    Once again, and lastly, I said I heard no FZ influences in SW's music and that I considered SW's music much simpler than FZ's so, no, I would not include SW in the pantheon of artists submitted by the OP.

Appreciation of music is indeed subjective but the music itself isn't. Millions appreciate Nickelback but no one's going to say their music is on par with Frank Zappa.

6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, the OP wanted to know if people felt that Wilson belonged in the pantheon of greats, so comparisons are inevitable. Of course these evaluations are subjective and his fans wouldn't be "wrong" for asserting that he was just as good as Zappa, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Yes or whoever, but I imagine that this would be a minority viewpoint. I guess that I don't see Wilson as nearly as much of an innovator as those others, more of a revivalist figure, and in a genre like prog, innovation counts for a lot. If we try to step back and view it from more of an objective viewpoint, I think it's harder to argue that Wilson has had the kind of widespread impact that those other artists did.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Shipped_It likes this.
  7. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

He is no Zappa. He is no Fripp. He is not any of the progressive artists mentioned. He is however unique, talented and blessed with the gift to stay ahead of the curve. Never stale! Never Bland! He is worthy to be counted among the greats previously mentioned! In my most humble opinion! Pax

8. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

When I first was getting into Wilson’s work, especially Porcupine Tree, I didn’t know exactly how to take the music. I mean I thought to myself “This is music you should love and are supposed to like!” but, for whatever reason, I just wasn’t making a connection --- he was so elusive. This was back in ’05. Let’s fast forward to late May of our current year. Something finally clicked with me. I’m not sure what it is exactly but now I hear the emotion in his music and I hear his delicate attention to texture and overall music arrangement. The Raven That Refused to Sing and Hand. Cannot. Erase. have impressed me to no end. Now, I’m able to go back, listen, and appreciate his Porcupine Tree albums like never before. I may even find myself becoming a “Steven Wilson fanboy”.:D I really should check out his other musical ventures like No-Man and Blackfield. I CANNOT wait to hear his next solo album, To the Bone, which he described as his take on the idea of progressive pop a la Talk Talk. If anything, it should be interesting.

As for whether he worthy to stand alongside of Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, etc., well I don’t see why not, but his career is still blooming, so it might be too early to tell right at the moment. If continues going at the rate he is, I’m certain he will be spoken of in the same breath as the afore mentioned bands.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    Leigh, Runicen, DaverJ and 1 other person like this.
  9. Mirror Image

No, I don’t agree. Dream Theater are overrated, but Steven Wilson is continuing to push the musical envelope while Dream Theater continue to dazzle people with the same old stuff that they’ve been trotting out for years.

Btw, I’m guessing you’re a Marillion fan by your avatar? I never understood how such a musically excellent band could have two poor vocalists to front them? Every time I hear say Clutching At Straws or Brave, I think “If only someone with a melodic, lyrical voice would be singing this instead.”

DaverJ and William Smart like this.
  10. Mirror Image

Of course, he’s none of those guys! He’s Steven Wilson! :winkgrin:

11. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

The Raven That Refused To Sing! What a beautiful piece! Absolutely love it. Very impressed with Wilson. Not since Fripp has anyone moved and amazed me. Layers and texture, the phrasing. A Wizard A True Star! (sorry Runt, go bang your drum) Peace! Iam

DaverJ and popeofcabinets like this.
  12. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

So your defence of Wilson is really a gripe about Marillion? Like, I don't like your favourite so you don't like (ONE OF) mine?
    That's a weird way of going about it.
    Marillion's vocalists are excellent.
    You don't agree? Fine. I couldn't give a fat rat's clacker.

But why you felt the need to interpret my avatar and say that just cos I think Wilson is overrated is... Well, a bit school playground.

13. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

I think both are perfect for the band. I cannot imagine the same songs without their vocal signature.

14. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

:cheers:

15. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

I'm not sure about Fish too, (not that I appreciate his voice, I'm wearing A Feast Of Consequences Tour T-shirt right now) but H is one of the greatest singer that ever existed.
    Listen to their live performances. H ****ing nails it every time.

16. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

I still can't get my head round that he remixed Chicago 2. Chicago Transit Authority next..

17. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

In addition to my above reply, regarding Brave - try Brave Live 2013. You'll understand what I mean.

18. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Wilson is a genius in my book, and I find 80% of his stuff very enjoyable - solo, PT, Blackfield and his remixes are all great stuff. I didn't care for No-Man very much.

If there's a stalling point to his career and being considered one of the classic prog artists of all time, it must be his reluctance to do something outrageous to grab the spotlight. Pink Floyd were groundbreaking in their day when they incorporated all the sound effects into their music. They weren't the first to do this, but they did it most effectively. Peter Gabriel had all those crazy costumes and did outlandish stuff like shave the widow's peak out of his hair. King Crimson pushed the boundaries of popular music by mixing avant-garde, jazz and prog all together. Bowie changed styles and personalities on just about every album to keep listeners guessing. While Wilson is immensely talented, and his dedication to making great sounding recordings is about the best in the business right now, he needs something to make him unique.

On the other hand, after reading some interviews and seeing him speak, he might just like things the way they are. He seems to be a bit reserved and reluctant of all the attention.

geddyfleaharris likes this.
  19. Mirror Image

Ummm...no. This isn’t a defense at all. I’m just giving an opinion. I didn’t mean for this to turn into World War III, which I’m not going to allow. Carry on, good fellow. :)

20. Mirror Image

No argument here. The Raven That Refused to Sing is exquisite. It’s a nice bonus that Alan Parsons engineered the album. :cool:

Btw, I LOVE your avatar! One of my favorite Hackett albums for sure along with Spectral Mornings, Defector, Guitar Noir, and, more recently, Beyond the Shrouded Horizon. I couldn’t get into Wolflight and I haven’t heard The Night Siren yet even though I own it.

William Smart likes this.
  21. Mirror Image

I don’t know about anyone else, but I can tell you if Steven Wilson is involved in a piece of music from the get-go. I do agree that he hasn’t done anything outlandish or over-the-top, but he doesn’t really have to, does he? If he was just some fly-by-night artist, he wouldn’t be remembered, but, no, we’re still talking about him and his first project, Porcupine Tree, still gets mentioned all the time. Personally, I love that he’s about making great records and while he doesn’t take huge risks, he does make baby steps along the way and finds new ways of pushing the stylistic envelope.

22. Jimbo912

Jimbo912 Forum Resident

I got his autograph !!!

popeofcabinets likes this.
  23. Mirror Image

Well, I do find that Hogarth’s voice is better than Fish’s. I guess the problem I have boils down to the timbre of his voice and the kind of vibrato he uses just doesn’t really work for me.

Really cool! You’re lucky! I’d love to see him in concert, but other than the older generation of prog musicians, we don’t get guys like Wilson or Tim Bowness down here very much.

24. Mirror Image

I wish I could get onboard with them, but I just can’t.

25. popeofcabinets

popeofcabinets Forum Resident Thread Starter

Awesome! Very well said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.