Where does The Edge fit on the Pantheon of Guitar Greats?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jimmy Mac, Jul 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

There's a quote from Bono where he openly says, he's spent hours with Edge, trying to copy his sound, playing Edge's guitar, and he just can't seem to do it or get anywhere near it. Edge might not seem like an amazing player, but the economy in his style - knowing when and when not to play - makes him so good.

But here's the thing, and I think we can apply this to many other players : The Edge is a great songwriter and musician who happens to play guitar as his primary instrument to write songs, rather than be a guitarist who writes songs as a byproduct of his guitar abilities.

2. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

In the post that asserted his value, that was what was referred to.

3. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

We can't compare U2 to Pink Floyd, or The Edge to David Gilmour. The only way to compare them would be in album sales or longevity.

From this thread it has become apparent that only blues, jazz and hard rock guitarists can be deemed 'any good' and that all pop/rock/alternative guitarists are amateurish.

U2 would have gone onto being a bigger, better band if Edge had been a blues widdler or possibly even a shredder.

The end.

Gavaxeman likes this.
  4. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

I don’t think they could’ve gotten much bigger sunking! With all due respect they’re one of the biggest bands on the planet with Edge’s current style.

5. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

That was my point mate.

6. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Yes, Dave Gilmour seems a peculiar choice of stick to beat the Edge with.

7. RedRoseSpeedway

Oh sorry, you said they “would have gone on to be a bigger, better band” so I guess I got confused

8. Hardy Melville

I did not mean for this to go off on a DG tangent, while I would like to discuss much of what you say here about him. The main point considering this thread is I do think he is an interesting comparator since (imo) he combined the "economy of style" approach The Edge has with other occasions where he exhibited an impressive facility with the instrument. That makes him great. The Edge? Not so much because he didn't show that range of capability.

9. Hardy Melville

You have absolutely no evidence that MY favorite "blues-rock shredder" would be incapable of imitating The Edge. Or that matching his tech guy to someone with greater facility would be a disaster.

10. Hardy Melville

Oh? Why's that?

The Edge has never and I mean never played a solo with the facility of Comfortably Numb for only one example. Not even close.

11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Well, you have no evidence that another guitar player could do the Edge's job better than the Edge does either. You probably just don't like U2 [Moderator Edit].

12. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

"Why would Radiohead want to be the next Pink Floyd? I'd much rather Radiohead be the next Radiohead.", as David said ages ago.

13. dkmonroe

The two are not in competition.

14. RedRoseSpeedway

Yes I agree, it does no good to either of them to compare

15. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I have no idea if the Edge could play "Comfortably Numb" or not, it could be that he could play it in his sleep and he chooses not to, who knows? Go on YouTube and you will find hundreds of bedroom guitarists who can though - bumping the Edge down a couple of hundred places in the pantheon in the process.

monotone likes this.
  16. Greg braun

Greg braun Forum Resident

About 762nd. Sorry U2?

17. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

He has his own distinctive sound, so a great guitarist in my book.

My favourite Edge playing, is that shimmering solo on In Gods Country. Beautiful stuff.

sunking101, dkmonroe and Gavaxeman like this.
  18. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Don't jump me on this, but I wonder how he would sound if he didn't pack the studio rig to play. YES....they all use effects, gadgets, but his is overboard.

19. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I wonder if he heard this Byrds song when he was a nipper:

RedRoseSpeedway and GlassPepper like this.
  20. RedRoseSpeedway

Bet you can’t even name 100 guitarists without using google so kinda moot don’t you think?

21. dkmonroe

If you like U2's music, then you like what is largely The Edge's creation. How you can slight him as a guitar player while enjoying his music is a mystery to me.

It has been suggested that The Edge is an inferior guitar player, even that he doesn't merit being called a "guitar player", which implies that he's not playing his own music competently. That's ridiculous. You called him "mediocre." That's ridiculous, unless you can suggest another player who can do his own music better than he can.

Oliver and Man at C&A like this.
  22. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

Welp. my first post after lurking a lot. hi :)

The Edge for me is next to people like Keith Richards, George Harrison, Hendrix, etc. Not because of his skill or talent, but due to his unique sound, you hear it, and you know it is The Edge, As with those I listed, Keith has his own sound, George did, Hendrix too.

Those cats all have their own Mojo that is instantly recognizable.

23. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

No worries.

He isn't going to get it.

24. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I wouldn't either . . . but that's not what this thread is about.

25. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

I believe I've already posted this video earlier in this thread, but I never get tired of posting (and watching) it. The Edge without his effects (and then telling a bit how the discovery of delay changed him).

(His smile when he shows the riff he's playing is hilarious)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.