Where is the "Strawberry Fields" Mellotron today?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiodrome, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pronghorn

pronghorn Forum Resident

Occam's razor. It states that among competing hypotheses, the one that makes the fewest assumptions should be selected. The mellotron went back to the rental joint, and they continued renting it out until it wore out, then they threw it away. Worm food.

2. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

3. fifth beatle99

fifth beatle99 Well-Known Member

I found about three clips where McCartney gives the same asides about Strawberry fields and plays the intro! Forget the tune, he just wants
    to play that intro he wrote! But none of them were the clip I was looking for. The Chaos and creation at Abbey Road is the wrong clip, then there
    is an earlier clip that looks pre Anthology, that wasn't it. I think maybe there is a clip somewhere in Anthology where he says, that the mellotron
    is the actual Abbey Road mellotron he used on the record. It's difficult because he has done that same bit with a mellotron and the Strawberry fields
    story, in a number of different interviews and clips. He always seems so off the cuff, but he has done this Strawberry fields mellotron bit, many many
    times apparently. If anyone knows which interview has him saying this is the actual mellotron I used on the record, please offer a link!

4. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I hope whoever has it has gone to the trouble of making digital copies of all the tape strips on it.

5. Yes, and on Mind Games and Unfinished Music No. 1: Two Virgins as well. Apparently no mellotron at all on Imagine. More info here:

http://planetmellotron.com/revl2.htm#john

6. MarkTwo

MarkTwo Forum Resident

I'm with you on this one!

7. jimcdenco

jimcdenco Forum Resident

Found this on youtube today with the newly released British Pathé News archives, interesting

Hall Cat and petem1966 like this.
  8. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

John plays the mellotron on the Christmas tapes- 1969.

9. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

That is such a classic clip and so "of its time" and I love that Eric Robinson has a late '50s T-Bird in his driveway! I can't remember if this was included in the Mellotron documentary. Ill have to check again.

BrianKehew likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.