Where The Hooters an overlooked/underrated band ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sean monaghan, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

Why not? That's one of the best things about the Hoffman forum. It makes me re-examine and re-discover half-forgotten artists all the time.

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Bought their first indy live 45 of All You Zombies
    Bought their indy LP Amore with studio All You Zombies
    Bought Nervous Night with new stridio version of All You Zombies

Have any of these been used on Walking Dead yet?

Comet01 and JDeanB like this.
  3. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

I'm sure I will but the next thing you know someone will tell me Hootie & The Blowfish were underrated.

4. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Or The Spin Doctors. :)

5. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

That show is pretty funny. There was an episode where the daughter got into Rush for a phase and was really into them and then at the end of the show she went into a goth phase and said Rush was so 1984 or something like that. It was pretty funny.

The Hooters were pretty good imo. I know they’re only really known for their song And We Danced over in America but whenever I hear that song it always gives me great feelings about my youth.

spsimmons and ceddy10165 like this.
  6. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

thank you.
    yeah I liked Day By Day but I really don't want to hear it now.

7. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

It seemed like they were inescapable in Philly, but I was never a fan.

rockerreds likes this.
  8. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Yes...growing up in Bucks County, they were everywhere for a while...they actually played at the Community College during my freshman year ("1980-something")...I remember them with some affection when I hear various songs, but underrated...? Not sure I would say that today...

Culpa likes this.
  9. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yeah I'm from Jersey and I didn't realize they transcended being a regional phenomenon. Not my cup of tea, either.

Culpa likes this.
  10. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Big fan. Saw them perform once in Charlotte and was mightily impressed. Was surprised by their version of Lucy In The Sky...different, but terrific.

JulesRules and Chazzbo13 like this.
  11. blehman

blehman Forum Resident

I believe that many of the bands mentioned here provide a nice tidy snapshot of the era in which they were most popular. I saw them I believe in 1986 at The Metro in Boston with their opening act, The Outfield(!!!). Great show, both bands were really good to great. Nevertheless, it would have been hard to imagine The Hooters becoming a huge "Stones-esque" type band. Nevertheless, as previously mentioned at the time they did have enough cache to be asked to play Live Aid, so that must count for something?

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  12. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

I think they were popular in their day and not overlooked. I don't see them being one of those bands that becomes more popular now than when they were in their prime (i.e. Big Star).

13. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

The US portion of Live Aid was held in Philadelphia. As a thank you to Philadelphia for hosting the event, the Hooters were given the opening slot (due to their status as Philly's most popular young band).

30 Facts for Live Aid’s 30th Anniversary
    Geldof was irritated that the Hooters had gotten a prime spot on the Philadelphia end of Live Aid. Geldof famously remarked, “Who the f*** are the Hooters?” in a Rolling Stone interview. The irony is that, in 2004, the Hooters’ opening act during a tour in Germany was none other than Bob Geldof.

Currently, the Hooters' popularity in Germany is far greater than in the US.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    JulesRules, serj, Galley and 4 others like this.
  14. bxbluesman

bxbluesman Forum Resident

I was 10 years old at Christmas time of 1961. During that Christmas season, the Tokens' "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" was getting HEAVY radio play. So, ever since, I associate the song with Christmas and always include it when I put together a Holiday play list.
    By the same reasoning, the Four Seasons' "Big Girls Don't Cry" is a Halloween song. :)

JDeanB, rednoise and fishcane like this.
  15. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

I lived in the Philly area in the mid 80s, they were all over the radio, it was horrible.

shirleyujest and rockerreds like this.
  16. swedwards1960

swedwards1960 Forum Resident

I saw them many times in Philly clubs before they were signed and thought they had great potential and a sound of their own. Unfortunately, the label took much of that away and gave them a generic arena rock sound, making their own indie releases the better choice.

Fromod and rockerreds like this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's better than the "they suck ass" that my friends opined in 1985! ;)

18. Nope. They were a bland MOR radio band, and very much of their era.

Oatsdad and DTK like this.
  19. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

The Hooters were not Bazilian and Hyman's first brush with fame. In 1976/1977 they were in a band called Baby Grand on Arista. They didn't have any success with either of their releases.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Available as a 2-fer:
    https://www.amazon.com/Grand-Ancient-Medicine-Digipak-0001-01-01/dp/B014I3JAIW
    Both albums can be heard in full on YouTube.

Lead vocalist was not Bazilian. Drummer was future Platinum producer David Prater. I like both of the albums.

JDeanB likes this.
  20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

How do you know you should ditch your girlfriend? She likes The Hooters.

21. jfp11801

jfp11801 Forum Resident

I loved the Hooters in their day and still re-visit the indie LP release - great live band

22. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Terrible band.

shirleyujest and rockerreds like this.
  23. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

As soon as I heard that Hootery instrument I had to change the station.
    [​IMG]

24. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

A guilty pleasure of mine. They can be a bit too high school puppy love (especially their early stuff). But Zig Zag and Time Stand Still are masterpieces IMHO. They really only play in Europe and select dates on the East Coast these days. Last November I bit the bullet and flew into Philly for the last night of the tour. Expensive as heck, but worth it. They are playing and singing as good as ever. If you can catch them live, do it.

It seems like a lot of the comments reflect familiarity with the first two records, 80's music videos, etc. only. These guys are much more than that. Time Stand Still (2007) is a mature well written and well recorded album. If you haven't heard it, you probably shouldn't make sweeping comments like "they suck." I mean, you can do that. I just can't respect it. Also by any objective measure they are a fantastic band live.

25. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

wonderful little flashback to 1985-1986. My parents bought me my first Walkman (it was a "Realistic" knockoff from Radio Shack) AM/FM Cassette player. Switching between stations in the Los Angeles radio market, I immediately became infatuated with Mike and the Mechanins, Once Upon a Time-era Simple Minds, Mr. Mister, The Call, Hooters, .38 Special, Invisible Touch-era Genesis, Brothers In Arms-era Dire Straits.

Obviously, there's powerful nostalgia at play to add bias to my recollections of the era. I remember Bon Jovi breaking big in 1987-1988, and rap and hip hop beginning to take over the Top 40 Charts (Los Angeles was likely heaviliy attended to the "Urban" format, once they realized the sales potential).

1985-1986 remains a time capsule for me, one of great bands that shaped my love for rock music. Heck, even the pop of the era (Mad About You by Belinda Carlisle, Madonna's Papa Don't Preach and True Blue album, Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam) are still wondeful listening experiences for me, nearly 35 years on.

Then came Bon Jovi, a year or so later Guns 'N Roses, then Grunge, and of course Gangsta Rap.

Needless to say, the 1990's didn't make much sense to me, at least from a rock perspective.

Purple, CybrKhatru and OptimisticGoat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.