Where to find non-standard M2.6 cartridge screws?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Oelewapper, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor. Thread Starter

Standard size is M2.5, but I need M2.6 for threaded Audio Technica cartridges.
    Tried some google searches but it keeps coming up with M2.5 bolts because google does "interpretation"...

Preferably hex DIN912 silver color stainless steel (A2 or A4), any of these lengths: 8mm, 10mm, 12mm.
    Does anyone know a good shop?
    Shipping from abroad is acceptable.

2. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

3. Oelewapper

Ah I think that's what I'm looking for.
    They must be very rare I suppose, since they're over 2 bucks each lol

4. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

McMaster to the rescue again! I work in the beverage manufacturing sector and they almost always have whatever weird bit I’m looking for.

Odd that they would require a non standard size though, that’s frustrating.

McLover likes this.
  5. Ingenieur

10 mm pan head slotted 100 for $7
    8 mm hex 50 for $16

6. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Yeah I don't get it, I have 2 AT carts with threaded tops and I didn't have to source a different set of bolts.

7. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

Yamamoto BT-1, BT-2, Die Nadel, Dormagen DE

Oelewapper and Bill Hart like this.
  8. Oelewapper

The OC9 series uses regular M2.5, but for example the ART9 series uses the Japanese M2.6.
    Some Japanese vintage cartridges also use M2.6.

Bassy Bavaria, Bill Hart and ubiknik like this.
  9. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

aahh, so.

10. Davey

Davey NP: Rosali ~ Bite Down (2024)

I'm not sure that is correct, did you measure them? All the AT screws I have seem to be M2.6, including the OC9XML, whereas my Benz Micro Wood is the only threaded cartridge I have that uses M2.5.

11. Oelewapper

Hmmh... 45 bucks shipping... I think I'll have to look for alternatives first lol

Well, the M2.5 bolts I have fit just fine on my AT-OC9XEN...

Anyways, it's not really the point.
    The point is, where can I find these M2.6 screws at a somewhat reasonable price...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  12. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

The Koetsu stone bodies I have use this size too. There were some platinum ones on E-Bay, cheap, but do you trust that they are truly platinum? Call me skeptical.
    If you do a search for TITANIUM Premium Cartridge Headshell Mounting Screws M2.6 Hardware Set turntable, you'll see them on E-Bay (I originally wrote Amazon, but was mistaken). I have to believe there are non-ferrous M2.6JIS mounting screws available at reasonable cost, maybe not titanium, but....

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    Oelewapper and ubiknik like this.
  13. Davey

Davey NP: Rosali ~ Bite Down (2024)

OK, sorry.

14. Oelewapper

Gave up on looking for M2.6 DIN912 hex bolts.
    Finally ordered the BT-1 titanium ones.

15. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

There was an interesting discussion on What's Best about all these different fancy mounting bolts- TechDas was selling them; Dieter Brakemeier (Arche headshell) had them, the Yamamoto was mentioned too. Good luck. I just used the hardware that came with my cartridges. I wasn't worried about mass. Some claimed sonic differences among different types. You know, the usual discourse.

Bassy Bavaria likes this.
  16. Oelewapper

Well, to me it's not about the proclaimed sonic differences, because I'm not able to hear them anyways.
    To me it's just those brass bolts that come with some cartridges... those are SO UGLY!
    The turntable is the main part of the system when it comes to interaction and the cartridge is the main part of the turntable.
    It doesn't have to be fancy, but to me it's important that it looks neat and tidy.
    And I prefer hex because they're easier to install than slotted screws.

Mr.Sign likes this.
  17. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I hear ya.

18. Ingenieur