Where to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by beeliii, Jul 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beeliii

beeliii Member Thread Starter

Rega Planar 6 with Exact
    Harbeth P3ESR
    NAD D3045
    Rothwell Pre Amp

Where should I look to upgrade?

Thanks!

2. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

REL T/5x subwoofer

3. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Well-Known Member

Why would you want to? You should be able to enjoy music with what you have if it is not to poorly installed/set up in very non musical friendly environment.
    What is it you do not like about your sound?
    Can we see your music room?

there is one thing you could upgrade though, it is your equipment list in your profile information. :)

Francois1968 and timind like this.
  4. JakeMcD

JakeMcD Forum Resident

Strong vote for amplification. Your first two listings are from the A team.

popol_vuh, Dave and Strat-Mangler like this.
  5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Another vote for the amp. The NAD, IMHO, is the weak link in your system.

However, my question would be "What do you find is missing or that you want less/more off with the upgrade?"

Rick58 and Stanton56 like this.
  6. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Replace Nad amp with a tube amp.

Oddiofyl likes this.
  7. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Amplification... not to snub the NAD but the table and speakers warrant it. Its simple, take a great speaker and drive it with a very good amp. Then use the same speaker with a phenomenal amp. The difference should be pronounced.

8. beeliii

Thanks for the replies! any recommendations on an amp that would go well with the rest of the gear? Thanks again

9. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

Budget?

Croft phono integrated is a good pairing with the p3’s according to several users here.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  10. JakeMcD

JakeMcD Forum Resident

Budget allowing, I'd also say something British. Something classy. Rather, something Class A. SugdenA21. Smaller budget? You can't really go wrong with a nice Rega integrated like the Elex-R (plug and play with your P6). With a foundation like this, you can add in nicer carts and phono preamps as the budget and taste allow.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  11. beeliii

With the Elex-R, would the Rothwell do anything for me or that wouldn’t be needed anymore? Thanks!

12. P3ESRXD

P3ESRXD Arnaud, still enjoying...with what I have

Yes, with your speakers I think the amp can be an "upgrade".

I use with my pair one of the best SS small amp(I use two in two rooms) could be Lavardin ISx, subtle "memory distortion-less" amp which enhances Harbeth speakers very well.
    Good companion of the shoe-box Harbeth but lacks some refinement (I think) with bigger Harbeth C7.
    One ISx came with phono input option, though not great option, instead I use two phono stages, Aurorasound prima vida and Rothwell Rialto.

Coming to Rothwell ...I use happily with many cartridges Rothwell Rialto, it IS very good and when used in MM configuration, this phono preamp
    is far better than any of my (old) amp phono inputs, less hum more dynamic and nice transcription/transmission of cartridge in use.

So in your place I'd use (or try out) the Rothwell (which one ?) link to one "aux input" of the new amp.

Have fun.

13. Jazzabana

Jazzabana Qobuz all the way

Nad with a primare i15 or i15 prisma and u r set.

14. Hanks3

Hanks3 Forum Resident

Anything power related.

15. PhotoMax

PhotoMax Forum Resident

The Elix-R can be found for $1000 - $1200 on the used market. If possible I would try one…

16. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

I wanted to ask the same questions Cote dazur already asked.
    Without knowing what you are missing or longing for it 'doesn't make much sense giving advise. Maybe you are even missing something due to wrong placement of your loudspeakers.......
    People give you advise to replace this or that, all with good intentions no doubt, but in a way it's pretty random.
    Sure, the NAD amp you are using probably isn't able to get the best out of your speakers and without a nice subwoofer you are likely missing out on the lowest frequencies.......

17. P3ESRXD

P3ESRXD Arnaud, still enjoying...with what I have

I tend to agree that the speakers ( for me the best by now listening to every type of music ) need (or not ) another amp or maybe just move them around, for better sound.

These small speakers are very easy to move around, and it's free.
    In the user manual (Owner's Certificate tobe exact), recommendation of "trust your own ears!" is the best advice from the manfacturer.
    My experiences of moving the P3 in different places (even close to wall) told me that these speakers need to be placed where the sounding is best *.

Anyway, keep your P3ESR :wiggle:
    then "replace" if need be other element(s).

* this moment, I'm listening to K7 tape recorded "live" from France Musique broadcast, many decades ago.
    Never sound as good as with these P3, so clear that I hear the musicians when they change positions on their seats, without disturbing the music flowing.

18. beeliii

If I went with the Elex-R, would the Rothwell Rialto do anything for me...or it wouldn't be necessary anymore? Thanks!

19. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

For the money the Elex-R is a good performer. Reviews will tell you that. Everyone likes the sound of this amp. It certainly would be an upgrade to your NAD amp. You have to try both phono amps yourself to pick the best.
    A Tube amp that I recommended are kind of a pain needing the tubes changed for NOS to achieve best sound. Usually, the new power tubes perform well and do not need NOS upgrades. Your speakers and TT are certainly worthy of either the Elex-R or a tube amp with preamp tube upgrades.

20. Prighello

Prighello Forum Resident

Another vote for amplification.

21. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

Amp for Harbeth P3ESR

Some folks here talking about the Croft/harbeth love, it’s mentioned elsewhere on the forums if you search, some noted the elex-r did not pair well with the p3esr’s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.