Where true Audiophile Speakers starts $ wise

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by allied333, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Loud doesn't always mean quality. I can get my portable BT speaker to hit the same SPL as my big system when it's in the same room. But it doesn't have depth, impact, resolution, or size. I can also get my cell phone to drive my planar headphones to acceptable volume levels. But they don't have near the depth or resolution as they do coming from my headphone amp, even if I'm streaming BT to the headphone amp. Both are similar to what you are describing, which is why I think it's a power problem.

I think your sound stage issue and lack of "size" might be because the amp is not a good power match for the speakers, which is my I suggested more efficient options. I'm not down playing the quality of your amp either, please don't think I'm assuming it's a bad amp. I know there are some exceptional low power tube amps out there. But you can have two REALLY great components that are just a bad fit for each other, and I think that's the case in your system. Your 12W tube amp is just not a great fit for your lower efficiency speakers, especially in a large space.

If you're really sold on the amp, I think you start on the speakers hunt starting with some of the other options I tossed out.
    If you're really sold on the speakers, I think you start with a higher power amp, and possibly some subs. Remember a well integrated sub will blend discreetly. It should be hard to tell where the speaker is ending and the sub is starting. When it's done right it won't add boom, it will add the depth and impact, aka that "larger" sound you wanted.

Seems like we're getting closer though!

Helom and sturgus like this.
  2. allied333

allied333 Audiophile Thread Starter

Thanks. I have to consider all. How much amp watts with the Revel? I think EL34, KT88, etc are not fine enough tubes that makes 40-60 watts. It may have to be push-pull 845s, 211s, etc. I could build it.

displayname likes this.
  3. Helom

Helom Forum member

I doubt your volume control is linear. I wouldn't be surprised if 12:00 on your knob is full power. It's a tall assumption on your part that a vintage tube integrated performs as well as any modern offering. It could be, but based on your past posts, it appears as though you haven't experienced many modern tube amps.

IME, a wider soundstage can be achieved in one of 3 ways: the source (both media type and gear), the amp, and speaker placement/room setup. I can't say I've encountered any decent speakers that were the limiting factor in terms of soundstage width. The opposite has been true with some amps. For example, the Sphinx V2 produced a narrow soundstage in my setup, compared to every amp since. The Rogue ST-100 produced a very wide soundstage, even though it was driven by the SS preamp section of my Yamaha. My Rogue CMII creates a wide enough soundstage - about par with my A-S1100, which can play wider than any other SS integrated I've encountered. Play the Chesky recording of Meiko Playing Favorites - even the Spotify version should produce a soundscape well beyond the baffles.

displayname, Bananas&blow and pdxway like this.
  4. direstraitsfan98

direstraitsfan98 Well-Known Member

$15,000 imo. But this question is really subjective.

5. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

You have very nice speakers I think they would benefit from a pair of subs, How large is your listening room? In the terms of what is an audiophile speaker. IMO most well made speakers that have been correctly setup up, feed by matching electronics in a good room can be called Audiophile. Setup, placement, and synergy of components are #1 in getting great sound from your speakers.

pdxway likes this.
  6. allied333

7. ddd666

ddd666 Member

So it starts at the price this person is willing to spend on speakers. It could be $300...

On the other hand, some snobbish person might spend $100,000 on speakers claiming that they provide pure, crystal sound, while listening to Justin Bieber...

Rickchick likes this.
  8. allied333

I listen to the amp volume at 9 o'clock position and it interferes some with a discussion in the room at that volume.

9. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

LS50's were on sale for $999, so...

brew ziggins, rodentdog and bluesky like this.
  10. Giacomo Belbo

Giacomo Belbo Journalist for Rolling Stone 1976-1979

With 300-400 dollars you can buy a set of Fostex full range drivers and make a basic cabinet, the sound is going to be superior to most things in the market Multiple times that, a very musical speaker for someone that cares about music and not equipment.

11. allied333

This discussion is far better than Cost of Audiophile Speakers last week. I am getting some insight here. I might be better to pursue a more powerful triode tube power amp before considering new speakers. Perhaps a 25 watt push-pull 300B amplifier. I may just build it.

timind and displayname like this.
  12. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Those two kids up against the wall always ruined the 60s vibe that the movie was trying to go after.

13. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

It's a metaphor for how some of these threads travel.

14. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

This is a hard question to answer. I typically feel power is a more the merrier spec, but you also have to keep in mind that 80W from a good clean amp pumping out 80 without sweating is very different than an amp spec'd at 150W, but struggling before it's even halfway there.
    I'm also not a tube expert, so that's another big consideration.
    But with your room size, and the speaker specs I'd probably be looking at 100W, and I wouldn't consider anything under 80W.
    Your speakers are also rated at 6.4 ohms, so getting something rated at at least 80W at 4ohm would be my personal baseline.

15. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Quality Used, in outstanding shape... $1K would be a real nice price. $1.5K would even be nice.

timind likes this.
  16. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I wouldn’t settle for anything less than $300,000 speakers.

17. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

To my ears, any loudspeakers that nail the midrange, aka the voice of Margo Timmons, are audiophile. Paradigm Atom v.2 $55 on Craigslist.

18. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

An "audiophile speaker" doesn't automatically guarantee audiophile sound in my opinion. I'd rather have a lesser speaker optimally placed than a so-called audiophile product just plopped into a room.

It took me a great deal of time to set up great listening positioning with my inexpensive Elacs and they sound wonderful.

19. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident

[​IMG]

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Powerful-Sound-Hifi-Audio-10Inch-2-Way-Bookshelf-Speaker-Pair-For-Li...

868$ and free shipping to US.

Specification

Item Name: Bookself Speaker

Dimension: 38x32.3x55.7cm

Speaker Driver Size: 10inch (25.4cm)

Driver Cover: Yes/ Precision Mesh

Sensitivity: 97dB

Frequency Range: 28Hz ~ 24kHz

Peak Power: 250W

Recommended Power: 50W

Nominal Impedance: 4~8Ω

Net Weight: 16.95KG (37.36 lb)

Item Quantity: 2 Pieces/ Pair

Package: strong carton with wooden frame for protection

It has a 97db/w and could work well for tube amplifier and 28hz-24Khz.

It also looks good.

Will it be good enough for audiophile speakers?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. Roycer

Roycer Forum Resident

AND WHERE ARE THESE MADE?

21. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident

Not inside Yellowstone National Park.

lonelysea likes this.
  22. Roycer

Roycer Forum Resident

All your post consists of CHINESE makes me wonder what your motives here are

23. George P

George P Notable Member

It is entirely subjective. Each person decides this for themselves. Me, I have frequently found price to be a poor predictor of best sound. Sometimes, the more expensive option sounds better in my system. Other times, it doesn't. Still other times, it sounds better, but not nearly better enough to be worth spending double, triple or even quadruple the amount of money.

displayname likes this.
  24. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

If nothing else, they are very cool looking...

SandAndGlass and displayname like this.
  25. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

WTF does that mean?

lonelysea, SandAndGlass and rodentdog like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.