Where's a good place to buy Jolida stuff? Is Jolida's stuff good?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by fjhuerta, Jan 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

Well, I must accept it now... my ASL pre is broken down, and until I decide what to do with it, I must *not* use it (I installed it here at the office yesterday, and nearly blew my speakers when the pre started emitting weird noises... again) :)

I was checking out Jolida. They have a pretty 30Wpc hybrid integrated I could try. Problem is, I have no clue as to where to buy the stuff. I already e-mailed them (at www.jolida.com) but got no answer.

Is Jolida a good choice? Do their products work well (well, better than Antique Sound Labs, at least?) Do you think I'll have a good experience with them this time?

Considering I'll be in Orlando in 3 weeks (and am thinking to have the amp sent to my hotel), where could I buy their stuff? I was looking at Response Audio. I don't know whether they are a good company to deal with, or not. Their modded Jolidas look very pretty, though.

Thanks for any help! :)

Javier.

2. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Try these guys
    I have been to there showroom and it's stunning!
    :edthumbs:
    Cheers-
    Norm

3. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

This is where I got mine. Underwood Wally
    I have the 502B and have been extremely happy with it. Shopping around I found Walter to be about the cheapest and have bought a couple other things from him too.

4. Alan G

Alan G More A Lurker Than A Poster

I had my 502B modified by Response Audio and they did a great job and were easy to work with. I would have no problem recommending them if you are looking into JoLida equipment.

5. audio

audio New Member

My dealer pack is on the way. Send me a PM and tell me what you need. I'd be happy to take care of you.

6. fjhuerta

Hey, if Prix sells it, I think I'm all set up! I'm sending you a PM! :)

7. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Jolida 302B is a great amp!

8. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

9. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Javier, if you don't mind my asking, how is the audio situation there in Mexico? Do you have any local dealers? Or are any of the online dealers ever willing to ship to you? (Not just for Jolida, but overall in the better, non-mass-market audio and video market.)

10. fjhuerta

Rudy, there are a couple of dealers that will send stuff to México. AudioAdvisor is one of them... Headphone.com is another... elusivedisc.com would ship out stuff too, if asked.

BUT - taxes will kill you. I can expect to pay around 100% in import taxes for anything I buy on-line that is electronics related.

There are local dealers for the usual stuff - Yamaha, Pioneer, Sony, etc. Prices are about 33% higher than in the States. There's also B&W, Energy, Rotel and Adcom, but it's not that easy to find them - and taxes are a bit a higher on them.

Then, there's Margules Audio, a company I love. Sad thing is - their cheapest amp starts at $1,400 dollars. So much for buying a little stereo system for the office!

So, whenever I try to get something special, I'm out of luck in México. I have to get it from the States. Since I'll be there shortly, and I can bring back $300 USD worth of stuff without paying taxes, I can get an amp and bring it back here without any problems (considering my wife can also bring back the same amount).

It's kinda hard, trying to get specialized stuff around here. :(

11. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

That's what I wondered...what with import duties, taxes, shipping fees, etc., it can't be easy to buy a lot of this stuff!

12. fjhuerta

More like impossible, Rudy!

There are virtually no places to buy tube stuff. Vintage stuff is non-existant - I have an old Philips radio I got as a gift, but is non-functional, and I haven't found anyone that can fix it (a darn shame, since the radio is virtually flawless). You get the idea...

You can get mid-fi (at hi-fi prices!) stuff around here, but whenever I want something special... well, I have to get it from the States.

13. Steven Hen

Steven Hen New Member

I'll second the recommendation for Underwood Wally, excellent service! If you are thinking of Jolida integrated amp, you should check out the Cayin TA-30 . With a base price of $599 + mods, it's a bargain!

14. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I understand that Underwood Wally does modifications on Jolida amps. Are these really necessary or worth the extra money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.