Where's my Nagaoka peeps at?!?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jelloalien, Apr 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I got to a point I ended the set up process of the MP-500 a few days ago. I'm back to the stock headshell and flat VTA since then.

It's been a few days since I don't listen to it anymore, just the music that flows and sometimes jumps from this amazing little thing.

I even changed my avatar to praise it.

2. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

And to think, it’s only a $650 MM cart that a lot of even very demanding ppl could probably happily have as their ‘end game’ cart. :)

Naga doesn’t advertise, and that’s just as well. If they went mainstream, chances are somewhere down the line the product would lose a step.

3. punkmusick

Including myself possibly.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  4. punkmusick

Technically not MM but Moving Iron or Moving Permalloy.

patient_ot likes this.
  5. Cyclone Ranger

Yah, I know.

‘MI’ is just not a popular term for some reason. I guess ‘cuz some ppl don’t know MI exists.

punkmusick likes this.
  6. mike.

mike. Forum Resident

Just wanted to chime in and say hello to my fellow Nagaoka freaks.
    I fear that the folks that are suffering from sibilance issues may need to go back and check their setup. I was having issues with my MP-200 during the break-in period and I went back to check and noticed that my azimuth was off slightly. After adjusting, the issue completely disappeared and SSss sounds are tracked smoothly with no distortion at all. I've found the MP-200 to be extremely sensitive when it comes to setup, VTA and azimuth especially. I track mine at 1.8g and it sounds amazing.

[EDIT]
    Forgot to mention that this thing tracks the inner grooves, on aggressively cut records, amazingly well with almost zero audible distortion.

I recently picked up a set of brass thumb screws on eBay, the Soundsmith EZ mount kit screws were, unfortunately, too short for the Nagaoka. These new screws add the perfect amount of mass to bring my resonant frequency down to around 10Hz. There is also a noticeable sonic improvement with brass hardware, tighter bass, and better separation. They also look pretty badass, if you ask me.

[​IMG]

7. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

My azimuth isnt 100% right either Im pretty sure, cant fix it though. But from others Ive heard that VTA and Azimuth doesnt make much difference on the Nags, which makes sense since its only an elliptical. So there should also still be some records with sibilance if you look long enough, but be happy till then!

8. punkmusick

I love my Nagaoka.

Truly.

It's impressive how the image gets tridimensional. I close my eyes and immerse myself in the music and I feel like I can raise my arms and touch the instruments.

Music is juicy, flavored and textured.

Jelloalien and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  9. mike.

mike. Forum Resident

I agree. The instruments don't appear in a 2D image flat in front of the speakers, but there is actual depth (bass in the back, drums in front and horns out front, etc) and this becomes especially apparent with mono jazz records. It's incredible.

10. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

I'm enjoying my VM540ML but at some point I would like to try an MP-200, I do like the Nag sound but found the 110 to be lacking on some records. Also the 200 can be bought at a good price straight from Japan.

11. Cyclone Ranger

Think the mp200's nickname should be 'The Purple People-Eater'. :)

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

MP-150 is about $250USD. Is the MP-200 worth the step up? And where's a reliable place to buy straight from Japan?

13. Leonthepro

Ebay:
    NAGAOKA MP-200 STEREO CARTRIDGE FROM JAPAN w/ TRACKING FREE SHIPPING | eBay

I got mine from There.

And the MP200 is slightly better, mostly from what I hear its in some imaging and shimmer of stuff like cymbals, especially on Jazz records. Check Ians review and comparison. Not too sure otherwise.

displayname, SamS and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Terrific, thanks! Now I just need one of those eBay sales/coupons to make it even sweeter :)

15. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

how does one come across those coupons anyways?

16. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I just sold my MP-150/200 Frankencart when I upgraded my turntable. The new one has an Ortofon 2M Bronze. I’m resisting the urge to get an MP-300 or 500, for now. I really like the look of the Nag carts. The 2M is kinda ugly :p

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Coupon is probably an incorrect word. Every month or so, eBay will have a 10% or 15% off "code" good for about 24 hours. If you're signed up to receive promotional messages from eBay, they'll email you about it.

displayname and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  18. mike.

mike. Forum Resident

The MP-200 sounds sweeter than the 2M Bronze, IMO. Better bass extension and better separation.

19. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

As a Green Bay Packers fan I take issue with this.

Cyclone Ranger and psulioninks like this.
  20. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

In sticking with the subject theme of this forum, perhaps "Purple Haze" is more appropriate. :cool:

weavzy, displayname and 33na3rd like this.
  21. Cyclone Ranger

Love the Hendrix ref, but these days, most ppl think Purple Haze is just a strain of marijuana. :(

#we-old

22. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I recall from a review by Ed Selley (possibly his cart shootout in Hifi Choice?) he said that although he'd been a long term fan of the MP-150, he felt surprised at the jump to the MP-200. He credited the improvement largely to the boron cantilever, which he felt he likely under estimated. Something along those lines.

SamS and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  23. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I made that jump. I liked them both a lot. I want to try the 300 and 500

Cyclone Ranger and displayname like this.
  24. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Having owned both, I can tell you that the MP-200 is very close to the VM540ML in terms of tonal characteristics. I prefer the MP-200, but they are REALLY close. Both have a little bump up high. The Nag just sounds better to me but it could be because I have gotten used to it. In terms of frequency balance, they are almost interchangeable.

displayname likes this.
  25. Leonthepro

Oh really. I was thinking of buying it because I thiught it would be brighter than the nags in general.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.