Where's my Nagaoka peeps at?!?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jelloalien, Apr 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Just a heads up for Nagaoka MP-500 lovers, just got an email that the $250+ stylus I had browsed on ebay from one of these threads has now dropped to $229.74.

2. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Makes me wanna order even if mine is only four months old.

patient_ot and Davey like this.
  3. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Yup, that's yet another nice thing 'bout Nagas... reasonably-priced replacement styli. Even for $700 carts.

4. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Well, only if you order from Japan through ebay, if you go to your dealer or order from most US sources they are almost $500. But does kind of make you wonder why the cartridge costs $700 if you can buy the stylus for $230.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    bever70 and patient_ot like this.
  5. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Well, you had to work at it, but you managed to turn reasonably-priced replacement styli into a negative. At least for you. Congrats. :thumbsup:

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

In most (but not ALL) non-MC cartridges the majority of the cost is going to be in the stylus assembly, not the cartridge body. It is possible to automate the coil winding process for MM and MI cartridges, assuming the company has the scale and investment $ available to do so. Stylus diamonds usually have to be purchased from a third party pre-mounted on a cantilever from a supplier such as Ogura, Namiki, Fritz Gyger AG, etc.

See here:

[​IMG]

^That's a coil-winding machine at Ortofon.

We visited the Ortofon factory - Son-Vidéo.com: blog

So, yes you make a good point. That said I do not know how Nagaoka winds the coils for their MI bodies.

Davey and psulioninks like this.
  7. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie Thread Starter

This is just a thought, and I might be wrong, but I the jnp200 and jnp300 stylus might be the same, the main difference being in the generator (300 being a better body than the 200).

So I’m wondering if saving the money and sticking a 200 stylus on a 110 will yield the same results as the more costly 300. Just a thought if anyone wants to weigh in

8. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

Thank guys for yours inputs! Great results. I would probably buy just a stylus JNP-200 for ma MP-110 body from Japan seller.

9. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Around £100 for a 200 stylus, could be worth a try putting it on my 110 body?

10. Geoff Whiteley

Geoff Whiteley Well-Known Member

Jelloalien, that's a question I've been asking myself. I've seen several posts elsewhere, and it seems like a viable option. There are differences between the cartridge internals, improving as costs rise, but it looks as if there's not a huge difference in sound between an MP110/200 hybrid, and an MP200. Cost differences make it an easier decision.

Jelloalien likes this.
  11. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

That´s true !

12. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

It will not. It will actually make it sound worse:

The bodies are what Nag do best, not the styli.

Only interchange the styli in designated pairs:

• MP-100 / MP-110 Styli
    • MP-150 / MP-200 Styli
    • MP-300 / MP-500 Styli

13. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Killjoy!

Leonthepro likes this.
  14. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

While I would not argue that is better than a full MP-300, I can definitely say an MP-300 stylus does not sound worse on an MP-110 than the stock stylus. It sounds noticeably better to my ears.

Plus, I couldn't hear any differences on that video through headphones.

Jelloalien and punkmusick like this.
  15. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie Thread Starter

I'm not sure I believe it would sound worse, that doesn't quite make sense to me. What I more mean is the jnp200 and jnp300, I’m pretty sure, are the same stylus....

Since you have the 300 now though, I would def look for a used mp30 or mp300 body, that should be your next upgrade :)

punkmusick likes this.
  16. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

I purchased a JNP200 stylus to put in my MP110 cartridge and it doesn't sound worse. Although I can't honestly say it sounds much better, but I haven't tried changing them out and testing in one sitting. I wish I had a MP150 cart to try out instead.

Either way I'm happy with both the 110 cart and stylus and the 200 stylus on the 110 cart, I love their sound signature and tracking. Some day I will most likely upgrade to a 300 or 500 if funds allow.

Jelloalien likes this.
  17. Leonthepro

There was another video before with clearer differences. The soundstage becomes all wrong when you put on the wrong stylus.

To me its quite conclusive that its a bad idea. Nagaoka would not be fooled so easily.

18. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

The earlier video is no longer available, but the soundstage sounding wrong is also something I did not hear in my trials with the MP-300 stylus. Often times the soundstage sounding off implies a phase issue of some sort. Is it even possible to internally wire a cartridge out of phase? I doubt that Nagaoka would be that devious. It seems more likely they are just offering a wide variety of price/performance points to their customers, in that they let you upgrade the stylus, and they let you upgrade the body to get the most out of the stylus.

19. Leonthepro

But when the 150 stylus was put on a 110 body it sounded worse on Vinyl Rooms video which is now gone. Why is that by the way?

20. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Saw that video too, it sounded really bad in fact! I wonder if there wasn't a problem with his stylus or if it really just was the combination of both...

21. Leonthepro

Its possible, but the 150 body with that stylus sounded great when he compared it to other carts later, so probably not. Why did he remove the videos though, I thought he said that he would keep it up, just not continue the channel full time?

22. bever70

That's what he said yes, I don't know why he removed them. Too bad, as he had some great cart videos.

23. octavius

octavius Forum Resident

Here is a new Jeff´s youtube channel: Groove Extraction
    But I can´t understand why he deleted all his old videos... maybe some cut off... who knows...

bever70 likes this.
  24. bever70

Thanks!

25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Question about capacitive loading.
    What is the optimal value for the Nagaokas? The manuals that I have read say 100pF but my mp-150 sounds very veiled with 100pf and it really opens up with 300pf.
    Has anyone experimented with this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.