Which actor could replace Daniel Craig as the next James Bond?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bherbert, Aug 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

He also looked effective wearing a wig ala Revolver.

2. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

3. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Paul Reubens-hehehe!!

4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Gee why would it be ridiculous for, say, Al Pacino to play David Ruffin vs it not being ridiculous that Bond could be played by Idris (age issue aside)?

Unfortunately, Rick Moranis is out. He's retired. Don't think he could pull off Curly, a 6ft tall black basketball player anyway, but he could do a pretty good Malcolm X if you ask me.

5. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Didn't say it was "ridiculous". Actually, I'm waiting for stuff like that to happen, someday.

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Honestly, Idris Elba would be a perfect new Bond. I am among those who don't think he's the greatest actor in world (or maybe I'm the only one?). He's a mediocre actor (best role lately: "Molly's Game" he was very good in that movie, I actually believed him in that role, so maybe he's improving) in my book -- although he is a great screen presence. He wouldn't be the first actor in the world to be on top with that sole strength. For that reason, I think Idris Elba is the perfect Bond: And he has the physique, looks, and presence needed to play Bond, but he's also just MEDIOCRE enough of an actor, to make it seem all perfectly fit. Bond needs to be a little plastic to be superhuman - he's a bit cyborg. And look at those who have slipped into his robes: Connery (Dr. No aside, good actor, who later became a great actor), Moore (mediocre - plastic ), Lazenby (mediocre to good), Brosnan (Mediocre - plastic), Craig (mediocre - one note.). Bond is the spokesmodel of superheroes, maybe he needs a touch of Vanna White-in-the-head to feel right.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  7. alexpop

Wonder if Boyle mentioned him as a possible replacement?

8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yeah, I'm thinking Jack Black. -No, wait, that was a terrible choice. I mean...Nicolas Cage. NO!-Halt, waitaminute...Charleze Theron...mmmm, Seth Rogan....?

This is fun - let's play, "Make The Bad Casting Call Before Tom Cruise Jumps in And Buys His Way Onto The Marquee...!"

9. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident Thread Starter

What about Jake Gyllenhaal?

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

Like him, but too weirdo.

bherbert likes this.
  11. alexpop

Hugh Jackman ?

bherbert likes this.
  12. Idris Alba
    Henry Cavill
    Ewan McGregor
    Tom Hardy
    Hugh Jackman as alexpop recommended would be a good choice as well.

alexpop likes this.
  13. Looks like they've gone in a fairly radical direction:

Scarlett Johansson Cast as First Black James Bond

The Hard Times, Aug 22

LOS ANGELES —
    MGM Studios announced today that Scarlett Johansson has been cast to play the first black James Bond, taking a groundbreaking new direction for the classic spy character.

“It’s such an honor to help breathe new life into this historic franchise,” said Johansson during a morning press conference. “As an actress, I’m always trying to challenge myself and really push the boundaries of acting. I’m ready to show the world what it really means to be a black British superspy, and I can’t wait to hear all the positive feedback from my fans.”

[​IMG]
    An image from Scarlett Johansson’s audition tape as ‘Black James Bond’ leaked onto the web.

bherbert, razerx and PH416156 like this.
  14. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Close but no cigar. To make it 100% politically correct, they should hire Portia de Rossi or Ellen Page.

If whatever age is right to show a fully experienced Bond, let's get rid of that make up and hire veteran actress Wanda Sykes instead.

At the moment, I can't think of better ways to screw the franchise up :D

15. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Michael Fassbender or Henry Cavill.

PH416156 likes this.
  16. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Would be really nice, but not going to happen. Too famous.

[​IMG]

17. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

..or Bret Baier... :)

[​IMG]

Time Is On My Side likes this.
  18. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I am surprised a female agent character has not popped up in a 007 film to make a spinoff franchise. Much like Catwoman to Batman.

19. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Craig Ferguson.

20. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Bruce Dickinson.

21. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Double-standards aren't anything new. It's utterly ridiculous that a character would be fundamentally changed in its nature for the sake of being "in" with the ludicrous narrative we're all too familiar with nowadays.

22. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident

How about this guy? Hes British.
    :biglaugh:

23. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

He's already been in a Bond movie as a supporting character, Never Say Never Again.

Although its not a movie, Mike Grell did a comic book miniseries which is supposed to have featured a Bond that matches the look and personality of the Bond in the novels.

I think a better move would be: Wait until you have a good, solid idea for a movie...then do one.

Considering the way he handled Sinestro in Green Lantern (about the only thing I liked in the movie), I think he could come across as a credible Bond. The only negative is his age (since that seems to be an issue), since he's older than Craig is right now.

Reubens is currently 65 so it is unlikely that he would be able to do the role even if he were chosen.

Concerning the issue of age, I don't see it as an issue if you follow the "Bond is a position, not a person" view of the character. If they choose an older individual to be Bond, they could simply have him as an experienced agent who is approaching the end of his career. With that in mind, it would open up the franchise to actors who might have not been considered. One I thought of is Christopher Meloni (from Law & Order SVU) who could come across as a very credible Bond.

Michael and bherbert like this.
  24. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Kevin James
    Patton Oswalt
    Drew Carey
    Ryan Stiles

25. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident Thread Starter

What about David Beckham? He’s already done some acting. He was in the King Arthur film.

ggg71 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.