Which "Aftermath"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Shoes4Industry, May 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoes4Industry

Shoes4Industry Senior Member Thread Starter

Being a very casual Stones fan, at best, I'd like some advice as to which version of this to seek out. I know I don't want to spend the time/$$$ to seek out an original UK, so after that, what's worth getting? Original London US? A reissue vinyl (or CD for that matter) or should I just buy the ABKCO CD?

Thanks

2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I have an "Aftermath" UK reissue LP, circa 1973-74 (?) with blue label. It's stereo. It's the only copy I've heard, but it sounds very good. I think I paid about $25- for it about 2 years ago. It's NM. If the price is right , I wouldn't hesitate getting one. I don't doubt that the U.K. original pressings are better. I've heard that the American ABKCO CD isn't good. Also, American versions, LP & CD are do not have the same tracks as the British "Aftermath" (although I remember reading that for a while there were U.S. CD's of this with the British running order).

BTW - Mono/Stereo - I remember Michael Fremer recommending the stereo version in his Stones article in "The Tracking Angle" about 6-7 years ago. It should be cheaper too.

MMM

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The London CD (previously available in Europe and Japan) was quite good. Hard to find, but...

Stay away from the US ABKCO issue. Paint It Black is mono and about half of the rest of the album is narrowed down.

It looks like ABKCO might be reissuing the catalog soon. We'll see where that goes...

4. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I just want to agree with both MMM and Lukpac.

Your best bet might be to find a NM UK or German reissue LP for about $25.
    On CD, your only good choice is the London CD that Lukpac recommended. However, I don't think $25 would be enough to win this baby on eBay.
    BC

5. hoboken lad

hoboken lad New Member

The "Aftermath" London Euro CD is very good (London 820-050-2). I also have the Stones vinyl box set from MoFi and it is also pretty good. I never had the original UK 60's release.

Please note that ALL US releases (vinyl or CD) are basically different albums from the UK/Euro releases. The orginal UK track listing (14 songs) runs approximately 53 minutes. The US is under 40 (10 songs? I don't have a copy handy). Most of the deleted tracks on the US release showed up on "Flowers." The UK sequence is, obviously, different and, to my ears, superior. However, the UK release doesn't feature "Paint It Black." And don't knock the mono version; it's about 30 seconds longer that the stereo version. I prefer it to the stereo mix, but that is just me.

And I still don't think we have heard the definitive mastering of the UK/Euro version.

6. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

SHOES - E-mail me if you'd like a CDR of the EURO "AFTERMATH". I'll be glad to send you a copy.

7. Shoes4Industry

Shoes4Industry Senior Member Thread Starter

JJ3810,

I sent you a private message. Thanks!

Here's hoping the new ABKCO remasters are good...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.