Which airs first? Jeopardy or Wheel Of Fortune?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, May 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

Here in the US, these two shows that were created by Merv Griffin have aired back-to-back, usually in the 7PM or 6PM hour, depending on time zone. They are syndicated shows, so it's up to the local TV stations as to which airs first.

I live directly in between the Tampa and Orlando markets, and Tampa starts with Wheel Of Fortune and the runs Jeopardy. Orlando starts with Jeopardy and then goes to Wheel Of Fortune.

The Tampa channel is the CBS affiliate, Orlando is the ABC affiliate.

Use the poll to tell us which airs first in your market, and if you know, let us know in the discussion which network affiliate airs the two shows.

2. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I am in the Birmingham, AL, market, and Jeopardy airs on the CBS station at 3:30 pm (with a repeat episode at 3 pm). Wheel of Fortune airs on the ABC affiliate at 6:30 pm.

3. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

In Fort Wayne, Wheel airs at 7:00 and Jeopardy airs at 7:30. Both air on CBS.

Rich-n-Roll and BeatleJWOL like this.
  4. HGN2001

I spent much of my life up in Philadelphia, and the big ABC affiliate there has run the two game shows for all of these years, always JEOPARDY first, and then WHEEL OF FORTUNE. It felt odd when we moved down here to Florida and Tampa aired them with WHEEL first.

altaeria, gabbleratchet7 and Davosco like this.
  5. Davosco

Davosco Senior member

I am in the NYC area where the WABC 7 affiliate airs Jeopardy first at 7pm followed immediately by Wheel (just like Philly as you say above).

In addition, most or all NYC area contestants film a special solo Jeopardy ad that runs throughout the day touting their appearance on that night's episode.
    Its usually -"who is John Doe from Brooklyn? That's me!"

altaeria and HGN2001 like this.
  6. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Living in the Philly market(WPVI-ABC6,Disney O&O),currently in a 55 age+ three story apartment building and can assure potential burglars not to enter during 7PM-8PM-folks are battened down with that duo,with extra credit if you can sing the Empire Flooring jingle- and count the animated non- union workers before the phone number,1-800-588-2300,Empire Today,is finished. Add Philly's Action News & ABC News and old folks glued to 6 from 4PM to 8PM. Visiting my mom years ago,taking her out to Red Lobster for lunch and talking till early evening. At 4PM,the Action News theme came on,usually followed by a chaulk line murder early AM outside a West Philly bar. One would think that murder happened nest door to my mom with her attention glued to Action News:" Move closer to your world,my friend,..."(but don't enter the chaulk lines)

MikaelaArsenault and altaeria like this.
  7. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

What is Jeopardy?

MikaelaArsenault and cathandler like this.
  8. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Around here, they air 'Jeopardy' first, then 'Wheel...' at 6:00pm and 6:30pm respectively... They air on the local Fox affiliate, but the 'Daytime Jeopardy' repeats air on their sister station at 4:00pm.

If anyone from WI is a contestant on 'Jeopardy', they'll usually do a little bit story about it on the evening news and then tell you you can watch 'Jeopardy' at 6:00pm right there on Fox-11.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  9. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member

Here in New England it's typically Wheel/Jeopardy in the 7PM-8PM time slot, but there have been exceptions in the past.

DISKOJOE and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  10. AKA

AKA Senior Member

KHQ, the local NBC affiliate, airs Jeopardy! at 7 and Wheel of Fortune at 7:30. For the most part, it's been that way since the shows launched — other than a brief period in the late '80s when the station dropped both because they felt the distributor was charging too much for them. They were replaced with Win, Lose or Draw and the short-lived Relatively Speaking. Surprisingly, none of the other local stations swooped up J! and Wheel during that period, and both returned to KHQ after about a year and have remained there since.

11. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Here in Toronto, it's the Yes network. Wheel of Fortune first.

12. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

WBZ (CBS)

Wheel Of Fortune - 7:00 PM

Jeopardy! - 7:30 PM

Here in New Hampshire, it’s on channel 4.

DISKOJOE likes this.
  13. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Being syndicated(and not a network show), it will vary from market to to market.

Dan

14. Rob P S

Rob P S Senior Member

WPXI (Pittsburgh) has aired Jeopardy and Wheel from 7 to 8 PM since 1987.

15. HGN2001

Which is why I asked the question and started a poll.

MikaelaArsenault and OldSoul like this.
  16. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Whoops, missed that part.

Dan

MikaelaArsenault and HGN2001 like this.
  17. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Seems weird to run Jeopardy! first. Wheel is a good warmup for the mental gymnastics of Jeopardy!

18. HGN2001

Seems just the opposite to me. Jeopardy is the more serious of the two, and Wheel then lets you relax with a less challenging half hour. Of course, that's the way I've always been exposed to it. Even though the Tampa affiliate goes Wheel then Jeopardy, we tend to tune in to Orlando's Jeopardy and then Wheel. It just feels right to us, coming from Philly.

MikaelaArsenault and OldSoul like this.
  19. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Jeopardy! first at 7:00 in the Bay Area. On ABC.

20. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

WBZ 4 in Boston has Wheel first at 7, then Jeopardy at 7:30

21. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

ABC airs ‘em here.

22. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

The ABC O&Os (WABC, KABC, WPVI, etc) air “Jeopardy” first at 7:00 pm and that has been the traditional pattern on those stations.

23. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident

Here they've run Wheel of Fortune first for quite awhile. I used to work at the station and back then KingWorld would feed them back-to-back on the satellite, Wheel first, and we would record and play back the two shows on a single one-hour tape (we would always record a back-up copy as well).

24. HGN2001

A few weeks ago, I actually saw an on-air hint that perhaps the powers that be have designed the shows to be JEOPARDY first and WHEEL second. The on-air hint was an opening where Maggie Sajak came in to tell her dad that the show was starting. Behind him was a wall clock that read 7:30.

25. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

They alternate between Baltimore and DC. I used to watch Jeopardy by myself on Baltimore's station, then watch it with my wife on the DC station. She thinks I'm brilliant and should go on the show, since I get almost all the questions correctly.

Mark B. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.