Which Album Are You Most Sentimental About?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thnkgreen, May 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

For me it's Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys. I discovered this album at the right time, while I was a teenager. The first song I found out about was Sloop John B. Later, after reading Rolling Stone I noticed the album as being at the top of their 'Greatest Albums of All Time' list. I bought a copy at Best Buy on cd. This is in the early 90's. I really relate to the songs on the album. I met my future wife around the same time and songs like 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' and 'Don't Talk Put Your Head On My Shoulder' fit perfectly with teenage love. Many years later, after ups and down (like layoffs, the loss of parents to cancer and other setbacks) tracks like 'God Only Knows' and 'You Still Believe In Me' are still relevant, as is 'I Just Wasn't Made For These Times' and 'I Know There's An Answer', with a lot of the heavy things going on in the world. It is just a great, great album. I prize it above all others. A close second would be either 'A Love Supreme' (John Coltrane) , 'Kind of Blue' (Miles Davis) or 'Giant Steps' (John Coltrane)

2. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

[​IMG]

Not my favorite album, but the moment it comes on I'm thrown back to high school, roller skating class, and getting up the bravery to ask my very first girlfriend out while "Keep On Loving You" is playing on the gym record player.

3. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

This Desert Life by Counting Crows means a lot to me. I'm always transported back to a certain time and place when I listen to it.

hi_watt and thnkgreen like this.
  4. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

My grandma (who was my favorite person in the world) bought me my first LP when I was 5 or 6. It was Headquarters by The Monkees. She got it for me because she knew I loved their tv show. I had a little kids record player and played it over and over for months. Still my favorite Monkees' album because it reminds me of the thrill of discovering incredible music for the first time (outside of what my dad played on the AM station in the car) and because my grandma took the time out of her day to find me a record. She bought me many more over the years but I guess what they say is true, you never forget your first.

5. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

This is definitely one of them:

Igor Stravinsky - Orpheus & Jeu de cartes | Sir Colin Davis - LSO on Philips

Not only was it my introduction to Orpheus, which is my favorite Stravinsky piece, but I also associate this album with a particularly cherished former girlfriend.

[​IMG]

hi_watt, Braitman and thnkgreen like this.
  6. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

7. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Maybe The Beatles 67/70 blue comp

8. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

A multitude of Rush albums. Achtung Baby as well.

mark winstanley likes this.
  9. Freewheelin Bob Dylan. My gran bought it for me when i was 8yrs old. It changed my life; i had no idea that racism even existed at that time. I still play it with a lot. Thanks gran RIP

10. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Depends...there are many for many different reasons, but the one that sprang to mind first is this one...for reasons I won't go into:

[​IMG]

blaken123 likes this.
  11. papatwo

papatwo Abiding Member

[​IMG]

In 1970, I graduated from high school, set out on my own to far away places. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere became my go-to listen whenever I got homesick and needed comfort. Later, I came to appreciate Neil's music on subsequent albums, but this one forever holds a special spot in my heart.

blaken123, hi_watt, keyse1 and 6 others like this.
  12. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

Buckingham/Nicks. One of the nicest things my girlfriend (who was, at the time, my future ex-wife) picked up for me.

The Wall. Dad wasn't in the military when it came out, but he was across the country and largely absent. I'm convinced Roger Waters knew my mother. The first record that ever spoke directly to me.

The Division Bell. A record that I largely ignored when it came out became the soundtrack to my divorce. Love the record to this day, but parts are very difficult to listen to.

Point of Entry. I'd heard metal before on the radio, but this was the record that "clicked" for me and sent me into the metal abyss.

13. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

All 3 Buffalo Springfield albums resonate heavily with me.

14. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

How come I didn’t get to take roller skating class at my school?:(

hi_watt and schnitzerphilip like this.
  15. angusyoungfan23

angusyoungfan23 OOOH BABE

Tommy. Reminds me of some good times.

lightbulb and thnkgreen like this.
  16. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

[​IMG]

"The first original genuine no money back guarantee Muppet Show cast album."

Accentuated further by the fact that I later got Frank Oz to sign my copy.

hi_watt, Uncle Miles, oxegen and 5 others like this.
  17. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Nice question. This...

[​IMG]

hi_watt, Folknik and thnkgreen like this.
  18. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Well,for me it's Temptin Temptations..not only my first Temps album,but my first LP period,if I could keep only one of my albums this one would be it.

19. thnkgreen

For me as well. I remember playing this album a lot in high school, trying to learn the chords to 'Cinnamon Girl'. Great memories

hi_watt, papatwo and Day_Tripper2019 like this.
  20. thnkgreen

Me too :righton:

angusyoungfan23 likes this.
  21. thnkgreen

Awesome. I loved the Muppet Show as a kid, and this album as well.

22. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

A handful of Adam and the Ants ones, crystal clear memories..

..hearing the Kings of the Wild Frontier album for the first time on my Aunt Julie’s record player when I was 7 (1980).

...the Prince Charming title track at the school discos, the boys earnestly attempting Ant’s dance from the video in order to (but failing to) impress the girls (1981).

...listening to the Friend or Foe album with my friend Grayham when we were 9 (1982). We’d been best friends since age 5, he died in an accident in 1986.

23. thnkgreen

Thank you for sharing

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  24. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

why that would be my favorite album of all time - Surrealistic Pillow.

Old Rusty likes this.
  25. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

The ones of my mother's I first heard as a kid:
    THE BEATLES 2ND ALBUM
    THE VENTURES PLAY THE CLASSICS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.