Which albums bring back the happiest memories for you

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by evillouie, Aug 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey all,

It's well known that there's almost nothing that brings back memories like a song (or an album!).

With that in mind, which albums bring back your happiest memories, and why?

For me, I'd say:

Asia's first album: It came out a couple of months before I graduated from high school, and it was everywhere. Nothing takes me back to senior year and graduation like this album does. I think a close second might be Heart's "Private Audition", though.

Gary Moore "Corridors Of Power", Thin Lizzy's "Thunder And Lightning", and Motorhead's "Another Perfect Day": They all remind me of an awesome 1983 spring quarter in college.

Tom Scott "One Night/One Day": I had just bought this when it first came out and was playing it a lot at the time. It was also at this time that I met my wife, so the album reminds me of that.

Wang Chung "Mosaic": Reminds me of when my wife & I started dating.

Soundtrack, "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade". Just a reminder of an awesome weekend we had when we saw the movie.

Larry Carlton "Christmas at my House": This came out a week or 2 before our wedding in 1989, and to this day whenever I play it, we're right back there. Also, his second Christmas CD came out the week of our 25th anniversary, so that brings back some great memories as well. And, just a few weeks ago I met Larry Carlton, and he was kind enough to sign both Christmas CD's for me!

It's amazing. If I play any of these, they take me right back, as if I'm right there all over again.

Does anyone else have any albums like this? Do tell...

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Born to Run, Bruce. Pirates, RLJ

Time and place.

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

'Voyager' alone, can bring me to tears

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

strangely enough, one of them would be Cacophony - speed metal symphony .... My best mate, and drummer in bands we were in, were sitting smoking some magic 'erb and listening to music ... we listened to a few things and i put that album on. when the song desert island came on, near the end the singer lets out a monstrous and long "aaaaaahhhhhhhh" ... i had a cd player with a very smooth skip on it. needless to say the singer (on cd playback) didn't breathe for about five minutes ... and we laughed and laughed and laughed.
    I can't hear that song without smiling since.

5. GroovyVinylDood

GroovyVinylDood Forum Resident

Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell. I wore that 8 track out the summer /fall it was released. Good times in great places :)

6. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

The Police - "Synchronicity"

Met my wife the summer it came out. We saw them live. Still happily married.

RickH, CBS 65780, andrewskyDE and 4 others like this.
  7. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

Three from my (pre-teen) childhood, right off the top of my head:

Dave Brubeck's Time Out album (with the Take Five track)
    An old recording of Bizet's Carmen
    The Nutcracker Suite

My parents were not musicians, but I grew up with classical, opera, jazz, folk, blues, standards and a little mambo thrown in. :)

8. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Cat Stevens got me through the trials of secondary (high) school.

CCrider92 likes this.
  9. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

[​IMG]

The Muppet Show on Pye Records, 1977.

"Good grief, the comedian's a bear!" / "No he's a-not, he's a wearing a neck-a-tie!"

"Doctor Bob, the patient is sinking!" / "I vonder vot he iz sinking about!"

"If you remain callous and obdurate, I" / "What's 'obdurate'?" / "I don't know, Sam." / "Hmmm..." / "Shall perish as he did and you will know why."

I could go on. (Sorry!)

Killer version of Randy Newman's Simon Smith And The Amazing Dancing Bear, too.

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Not so much happiest memories.
    But The Yes Album.
    Is like a time machine adventure.

11. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Duran Duran's Rio would make me a bit emotional.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Meet The Beatles! 1964 was magical...still get much joy when I play this!

RickH, John B, maui jim and 4 others like this.
  13. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident

George Michael “Faith” and “Older” and Basia “Time and Tide” all in the mid to later part of 1996, the year I turned 16. Older was just out and the other two I discovered at the same time. A fantastic, positive year. I had yet to experience pain and disappointment in life. There is nothing like music to take us back to happy times.

14. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Maybe it's Talking Heads '77 debut. It was so energetic, straightforward, positive and smart.

searing75 likes this.
  15. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black: when this came out and the singles were everywhere, I was 8 years old, we had a rough time as a family and every time I hear the album, I'm taken back to this difficult, but at the same time also very interesting and even beautiful time.

Genesis - Selling England by the Pound: 1st time in love, of course this is always an emotional memory. It didn't work out but made me appreciate - and love - Genesis. Same thing could be happening with 'Songs of Leonard Cohen' right now.

Wanda - Bussi: austrian band that were HUGE three years ago. This was their second album released in fall of 2015 and somehow this will likely always be connected with me turning 16, starting to enjoy cold beers on warm, breezy evenings, thinking about the world around me... as it goes.

vivresavie likes this.
  16. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

"Seven" by James bring me the memories of playing Wolfenstein endessly with my brother. The game and the record had become forever tied in my mind in a strange connection.

In the same way but much more well connected is "richard's Strauss elektra" by sinopoli and Wiener philharmonic and the game half-life. That was a really creeping coupling.

17. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

Abbey Road - got it for a Christmas present in 1969 to play on my new stereo, also a present … a GE Wildcat. I only owned two other albums, Meet The Beatles and Led Zeppelin II. Such simple days.

18. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

the stone roses! first album! the greatnest of this album makes you feel like a king!! at 20 it's was great pop music is!

19. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Wall
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a few albums that I have happy memories with.

Rad Dudeski likes this.
  20. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Any of the collections by the Everly Brothers, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, and the Kingston Trio and the Tom Rush Live At The Unicorn album. these were all the people I listened to in addition to all of the do-wop groups in a time where I was carefree and before life got too serious. I've all very good memories there but not so much after those days.

21. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Fun LP fun times

22. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

I’ll choose Beatles 2nd for that time period. Side two played the grooves off. Have bought several replacements and now
    CD too

Teenage me is DSOTM

College me is Born to Run cause that’s how I got my girlfriend now wife up to my dorm room to hear it.

Adult me would choose Elvis’s TYM. Love the anger and energy and intelligence over other punk of the era

Old Man still enjoys Raising Sand by Alison& Percy. But I do spend a lot of time with the 60+ yrs music I have lived thru
    Like all of the above

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

There are so many in my later years it's impossible to list them all...

maui jim likes this.
  24. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

The ones that remind me when I was young and full of life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.