Which Artist/Band’s Fans Are Such A Turn Off They Affect Your Appreciation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thnkgreen, Aug 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

Da Vinci was a genius. Look up the term "polymath". Bob Dylan is a (at times) great lyricist. Less of a melodist in my opinion. The Beatles (3 out of 4 anyways) were (at times) great lyricists/melodists. When I think of musical genius, I have to go with Bach, though even he wasn't a polymath.

barnabyjames1 likes this.
  2. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Beatles for sure!

Grateful Dead, but I was able to overcome the rabid fans and love the music.

John Shaft, searing75 and bzfgt like this.
  3. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

This sounds like almost everyone I knew in high school. You covered it all, but left out one thing they used to say (which I never understood): "Effin' A!" What did that even mean?

You'd say something like "Hey, so you bought the new Pat Travers album, huh?" And they'd respond: "Effin' A!" (I mention Travers because he was one of the few musicians these kids and I agreed on. They dismissed anything punk or new wave with words so politically incorrect Lou Reed would blush.)

I kind of miss these guys (and they were usually guys). You don't meet people like this anymore. They now seem like a relic of the distant past, like the "greasers" my parents knew in the Eisenhower Era.

I assume you've seen "Heavy Metal Parking Lot" where this crowd is immortalized on film. I spent my later teen years in suburban Maryland, not far from where it was filmed.

4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

There can't be many Rick Springfield fans still around and interested.

carlwm, Celebrated Summer and bzfgt like this.
  5. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

I just found out I have my own hate page on stereo. freeforums. net. Wow! Just Google Thnkgreen: A Man of Many Threads

6. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Well to me they are. Their legacy speak for themselves

7. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I just made that up

carlwm and Man at C&A like this.
  8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's a psychological condition if you anchor your life to a musical act. It ain't sound.

Vangro, thnkgreen and Man at C&A like this.
  9. Gabzi Nemo

Gabzi Nemo Forum Resident

You know you've made it in life if you have your own dedicated hate page.

One day, I hope to attain such greatness...

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

:laugh: I thought 'that can't be true' but then thought 'perhaps he has obsessive fans in the US and means nothing here' like Jimmy Buffet or something.

bzfgt likes this.
  11. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

Rick Springfield's fans tended to be the nice-looking girls when we were teens. They're now a bunch of middle aged moms.

Sad irony: You couldn't get with them in high school because you were the poolboy, but now you can't get with them because you're NOT the poolboy.

Rockerbox, bzfgt and Man at C&A like this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

:laugh: What a pack of wankers!

Gabzi Nemo likes this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They all liked Madonna when I was at school.

I don't know anything about Rick Springfield.

Celebrated Summer likes this.
  14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

My sister does, but she'd be the first to admit she has a psychological condition!

DTK likes this.
  15. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

This thread has me thinking of the inverse problem, regretfully

I can't recall specifics where I've been snarky or derisive toward people who didn't like one of my favorite artists, but I'm confident I have done so

barnabyjames1, bzfgt and Man at C&A like this.
  16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I know I have!

I'm not proud but it's part of being young and passionate about music. I haven't been like that for many years, but I can have my moments.

Uncle Miles likes this.
  17. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

How is it ironic? The comment on the thread-opening was true. Somebody even did an accounting. Then, there was a thoughtful response, albeit pretty much same as the old 'Most Annoying Fans' thread. Two totally separate issues.

18. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Haven't you heard "Jessie's girl"?

carlwm likes this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

No, I don't think it was a hit here at all, if it was it wasn't a big one. Either that or I've somehow managed to completely avoid it.

carlwm likes this.
  20. UlisesLima

UlisesLima Forum Resident

I understand, for me I don't have a problem when someone idolize certain artists, it is when they compare everyone else with these artists. They listen for same 4-5 bands as when they were teenagers. They never developed their musical tastes and explore other genres or bands for that matter. With those kind of people I really don't event want to go into serious talk about music.
    It is easier to talk about music with people who don't know anything about the subject, than with people who think they now everything just because they are listening to couple of most known groups.
    And that knowledge is based on hits and you tube. They don't have the passion or patience to listen to actual album.

barnabyjames1 and Man at C&A like this.
  21. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

If posters want the OP to stop his "Man of Many Threads" journey, replying to them [at least twice] has the exact opposite effect.

cdnostalgia likes this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Radiohead fans who think that you 'don't get it' if you dislike them. No, I do get it and think it's unlistenable depressing crap!

MortSahlFan, cdnostalgia and Sear like this.
  23. barnabyjames1

barnabyjames1 Forum Resident

Yeah, Totally agree. I like the Beatles actually, just not as obsessive as some here. Think their music is great & have all their CDs.

Sear and cdnostalgia like this.
  24. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Yes.
    For instance, I like Captain Beefheart. But Id never say to anyone "You don't get it". There's nothing to "get"! You either like it or not. Because it's absolutely normal that they don't like it.

25. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

OP, Aar Gal and Wildest Cat (and whatever other user names that they used to post under) can, and will, open all the daily threads that they want. Makes no difference to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.