Which beatles albums are better in mono and which ones in stereo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Shady24, Mar 31, 2017.

1. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Question. Why do the last two Beatle albums as a fold down get a pass? Abbey Road was meant to be heard in stereo and so was Let It Be. They were never mixed in mono so I think we should leave them out. We are talking about mono mixes here not fold downs. Seems like even when an album is only mixed for stereo you prefer the inferior fold down. So I gather you are a big mono fan? Or did I misunderstand your post?

Each to his own but putting the last two Beatles onto the list is silly. So you prefer the mono fold down drums on "The End" to the stereo miked drums on Ringo? Really?

2. john morris

And that is Ringo screaming in pain after drumming way too loud. Real pain on the tape. How much more real can you get with that?

Exotiki likes this.
  3. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Angelo73 does have the two last albums on the stereo preference list, doesn't he?
    He just adds that the two albums were released in stereo only except for the fold downs...
    So I think you just misunderstood his post.

4. john morris

Ahhh, then everyone just disregard that post of mine. Shame. I was hoping I ran into a genuine
    Monomite. I was hoping to have a dialog about why the member hates stereo. Oh well.

Onder and Crimson Witch like this.
  5. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

You may have partially misunderstood my comment. I listed Abbey Road and Let it Be here to indicate that I prefer their intended mixes as they are presented in stereo. Since the Brazilian fold-downs exist as the only alternative to the stereo lps from the time of those titles' initial release, I mentioned them for comparison as such.

*The OP stated nothing about mixes.
    Only mono & stereo are mentioned in the opening post, which is why I pointed out that I was comparing only mixes, with the exception of Abbey & LIB, for which only the Brazil pressings serve as any alternative.

6. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

Are you sure Michelle is the only song that got a reduction? I thought that Run For Your Life did as well since the bass guitar was overdubbed after the vocals and guitar overdub were already finished.

7. Onder

Onder Senior Member

I thought that Run For Your Life had reduction mix too but it's most probably not like that.
    This is how the instruments and vocals are spread over the 4track tape:

Track 1: drums, acoustic and electric guitar, tambourine
    Track 2: Bass Guitar
    Track 3: Lead and Backing Vocals
    Track 4: El. guitars, Lead and Backing Vocals double tracking for the chorus

What confused me initially is that the vocals and guitars on track 4 come from a different stereo placement. So I assumed they must be on their own track. But they were most probably just panned left/right for the stereo mix. The vocals and guitars are not overlapping on the track, so seamless panning was possible.

Gila likes this.
  8. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Let me just add that the track 4 of tape 2 also has the guitar solo. Amazing how effective the production was with just the four tracks.

9. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

To make it simple:

Mono from PPM to Pepper.
    Stereo from MMT onwards.

10. john morris

Ahh, you should see what I can do with an 8 track! On the Chritsmas song I did for a friend's movie I shoved 22 parts onto 8 tracks. God what a mess. But....I only bounced down the vocal parts. Go figure that out. They are a total of 13 instruments over just 6 tracks. The remaining two tracks were 5 and 4 part harmony sung real bad as only I can do it.

Back to the Fab Four....Best group like ever!!

11. john morris

Yea, it was the 60's and even the rules of physics were different. Yep, MICHELLE is the only song off of Rubber Soul that got bounced down. Although it doesn't sound that way. Leakage might be the issue. They are several fans on here that know this stuff in their sleep. One of the nice members here might know....

12. john morris

Yes my apologies sir.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  13. Revoxy

Revoxy Forum Resident

John B likes this.
  14. Revoxy

Revoxy Forum Resident

John B likes this.
  15. Iamtheeggman

Iamtheeggman New Member

Hi,

Track 1 Rev
    TAXMAN (REVOLVER) CD MONO BOXSET *

I have a Beatles in Mono set so can only give you a response track by track. For example not all of Sgt Pepper was recorded at Abbey Road. Different techniques were used for different songs. Please Please me was recorded in full in 13 hours etc etc.

In terms of Taxman I am very disappointed with it in the Mono CD set. I have an original and I can hear distortion at the end of each Lennon vocal line in the two striking chords which follow. This does NOT appear on any of my other recordings. I am much more satisfied with the stereo version issued around 2009 for this track. It's a shame because Geoff Emerick who masterminded the Beatles recording sonics and new ways of recording (and not George Martin) would say the Mono version should be best as that's what the recording was supposed to end up with. Further getting stereo from sounds recorded on a 2 track doesn't leave much room for improvement or inventiveness. The second track was often used for harmony vocals or Ringo's bongo's or some obscure sounds Geoff had come up with(they often recorded these sounds, cut up the tape, threw them into the air and spliced back together in random order; slowed tape down for vocals then speeded up for the master, (did that lots to make voice sound brighter); putting Lennon's voice through Leslie organ speakers (e.g. Tomorow Never Knows); reversing loudspeaker/mic inducers to get a fuller brighter bass sound for Paul (Paperback Writer), etc etc etc all Geoff's ideas and why it's so compelling to assess different versions in how that sound came out.

There may/will be benefits in re mastering through a much advanced desk and maybe tweaking the mix from the original tapes but I think this Mono v. Stereo thing they've got everyone believing (just to sell more units in my view) is baloney. It's the mastering technology and mix tweaks which make the difference along with the cutting technology at whatever plant the sound was transferred, I believe for better or worse.

I would be very interested if anyone else has picked up this distortion in Taxman?

Track 1 SP
    SERGEANT PEPPER CD MONO BOXSET (SGT PEPPER) *****

Mono set version sounds great with levels of attack and gain not causing distortion. Great attack lead guitar played by McCartney.

Track 1 SP
    SERGEANT PEPPER CD 50th anniversary STEREO Giles Martin (SGT PEPPER) *****

No complaints. Great re-master.

Happy to continue advising you of this appraisal as I build up a list of all Beatles tracks if it helps?

16. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I don't know if I am hearing the same sound you are hearing, but there is a slight fizzing sound (easily audible on headphones) during those two chords, but I hear it both on the mono and the stereo 2009 masterings.

Tim

Gila likes this.
  17. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Thanks for your perspective. I think you mixed up some things that happened though.
    All of the albums after With The Beatles and up to Magical Mystery Tour were recorded on 4-track, not 2-track.
    The tape that was cut up, thrown into the air and the pieces put back together in random order was for Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite from Pepper and it was George Martin who did that as the Beatles wanted a carnival sound or something.

john lennonist likes this.
  18. john morris

You are both wrong. Everyone knows all The Beatles stuff after 1966 was recorded on a Scully 1 inch 8 track (284-8). And that all the drum parts on Magical Mystery Tour were from the first Ampex drum machine.

Please insert Poe's Law for entire post....

Adam9 likes this.
  19. Frankly, I prepared my own version of Pepper, which is mono most of the way and then crossfades to stereo during the intro to "A Day in the Life." It seems to me that you absolutely need the orchestral intervals of that to be in stereo to be truly overwhelming. Plus, and I'm not saying this was the intention of the creators, it sets up for me an interesting narrative, where everything from the first rendition of the title tune to its reprise is a fantastical dream ("...and somebody spoke and I went into a dream...") featuring a concert by the Lonely Hearts Club Band, and the final track is the dreamer awakening and looking over the real/unreal world of London in 1966-67. The switch to stereo, for me, brings that "reality" much closer to the listener.

20. john morris

You are being charged with violating Beatle Law 2345-7 which states, ...."No fan shall make an album mixing stereo and mono together..." LOL

To me that would just sound wierd but each to his own.....

Upsiditus likes this.
  21. john morris

I think the 2 track must have been a typo. I am sure the member meant 4 track.

22. john morris

Funny. Mexico and Brazil were still into mono until 1974 where Canada went stereo 1967 and Germany in 1963.

Iamtheeggman and Crimson Witch like this.
  23. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Well, the member refers to the 2nd track in his post, but not the 3rd or 4th.

Gila likes this.
  24. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I've occasionally wondered, though never inquired, as to why Brazilian pressings of otherwise stereo-only releases were folded down to one channel while other South American countries received distribution of two-channel stereo mix pressings. I had guessed that perhaps, for whatever reasons, the majority of Brazilians may have only had access to
    mono phonograph systems on which stereo records simply did not sound as good. (?) I can't think of any other reason why countries like Argentina, Chile, and Venezuela would get stereo editions while Brazil alone would get only the fold-downs.

john lennonist likes this.
  25. john morris

I think most of South / Central America, and Mexico were stuck with mono until the mid 70's.
    I know: America, Canada, Europe and Japan stopped making dedicated mono mixes of long playing records back in 1969. But considering the millions (100 million or more in Latin America) of people in Latin America who could only play mono records you would think the record companies might have offered a special Latin America only mono mix available to just the specific region.

Think of it. Real mono mixes of:

NO ANSWER
    ELO II
    ON THE THRID DAY
    ELDORADO
    LED ZEPPELIN
    LED ZEPPELIN II
    LED ZEPPELIN III
    LED ZEPPELIN IV
    HOUSES OF THE HOLY
    GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD
    DARK SIDE OF THE MOON