Which beatles albums are better in mono and which ones in stereo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Shady24, Mar 31, 2017.

1. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I’m such a stickler for mono that I stick by it where it exists, but I couldn’t live without the stereo to dig in to too. I played stereo Revolver the other day (a rarity) and was blown away by how good some of the tracks sounded (She Said being a key contender).

As an FYI, for anyone more curious I compared all the mono/stereo differences on Rubber Soul and Sgt Pepper on my podcast Mixology, here and here respectively.

domesticmachine likes this.
  2. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Not a single track from A Hard Day's Night album was recorded in 1963.
    All the songs from the album were recorded between January and June 1964.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the person who started this thread has not even been here for 2 1/2 years.

4. lahtbp

lahtbp Forum Resident

It’s impossible to say because everybody has different preferences. There are also different ways that people listen to the Beatles as well.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  5. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Didn't know that. Thanks. :)

6. john morris

My mistake. Yes, another member has mention this. For some reason it always seemed like a 1963 album to me. I Never said, "100 % the album is 1963." Let's not make this a major issue.

7. john morris

Agreed. And if you are wearing cans you are always the sweet spot..

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  8. john morris

The mono white was a big disappointment for me. No top end. The Studer J-37 / 4 track and the 3M M23 / 8 track are 30 - 15 000 hz +-2db. But the other albums have always had a nice easy top end even if there was nothing above 16 khz. But the mono white sounds congested and AM radio.

LitHum05 and Bingo Bongo like this.
  9. john morris

Point taken. But just because he hasn't listed his stereo equipment doesn't mean he doesn't have one. Just saying.. Some people feel that they will be judged harshly by their equipment. Everone is not comfortable with listing their system on here.

Let us all try and respect one another. Including me. I am not perfect and can be a jerk on occassion.

billnunan likes this.
  10. john morris

Very interesting.

11. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Sound wise you are probably right. But with the variations on the mixes, you really need both.

john morris and Dan The Man1 like this.
  12. john morris

The mono mix of HAPINESS IS A WARM GUN come to mind. That one is exceptional. But with a few exceptions it never sounds good to mix mono and stereo together. Ok. If you start with mono and then move up to stereo that is o.k.
    I am strange that way - I like my mono and stereo on their own.

13. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I notice the OP started and said on another thread (about mono v stereo box sets) the following:
    I'm about to buy one, and stereo has conviced me, but I may be missing something from the mono set? (Apart from the mono sound)
    He obviously wasn't listening!

14. john morris

I hate mono and even I purchased the Beatles Mono Box set on CD. It is worth the money.

15. john morris

Through speakers the mono mix rocks. If I was introducing someone to Rubber Soul I would play them the mono mix. But with cans I prefer the 1987 stereo remix.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Exotiki and tug_of_war like this.
  16. Kick

Kick Active Member

Well,
    Just purchased:

BEATLES Revolver UK orig Mono vinyl LP EX+/VG+ 2/2 matrix Dr. Robert twice on label and cover.

PMC 7009

Matrix: YEX 605-2 YEX 606-2

No, I didn't buy it for $5 at the flea market,lol! Paid $105, looking at comparable listings this was a fair deal.

john morris and billnunan like this.
  17. john morris

50 - 10 000 hz. Love those mono tube records. The whole last octave is gone! Well....Actually the Studer J-37 cut off at 16 khz so maybe half of an octave is gone. Still not great for bass either.
    A great find though sir at a good price. I know people who have spent $300.

Kick likes this.
  18. john morris

Agreed. The phasing effects on the mono mix of FLYING and BLUE JAY WAY sound horrible. As if there was something wrong with the record. The mono mix of REVOLVER is pretty good. I don't know if it beats the stereo mix though.

Besides the hard panned vocals on YELLOW SUBMARINE and the super-duper-loud hard right panned tambourine on TAX MAN, what is wrong with the stereo mix? Or did I just answer my question? But besides that, everything else is fine.....Right?

tug_of_war and billnunan like this.
  19. john morris

Agreed. They rock. But not always. Beatles For Sale mono mix is on example of too much studio crap. They compressed the life out of the drums. Just listen to "I Don't Want To Spoil The Party."
    George is only at the SOLO and the CODA. For the song to work the OPENING lead guitar riff, SOLO and CODA have to be there - It set the mood. And yet Harrison is missing from the opening and for the rest of the song. And no, The Beates were not present for every mono mix. This is a myth. And even if: John, Paul, George and Ringo mixed it personally so what?
    Some say, "I can hear Harrison a bit in the song"
    Nope. That is George's Guitar Amp leaking into another microphone. Harrison's lead guitar is only in two places: The SOLO and the CODA.

Look at the mono mix of the White Album. No top end. It sounds congested and AM radio like. All the other Beatle mono mixes have STONES.
    PPM, WTB, AHDN, HELP, RUBBER SOUL, REVOLVER and SGT. PEPPER all rock in mono. And the only true way to hear "Revolution,"
    "Please Please Me" and "I Call Your Name" is the mono mix. Thanks to Mr. Giles we now have a good stereo mix of "Paperback Writer" and "I Want To Hold Hand."

tug_of_war likes this.
  20. john morris

Actually I have been a jerk on several occasions.
    :) LOL

21. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

And Your Mother Should Know, most of all.

The mistake with the second vocal track in Eleanor Rigby (and the rest of the mix of the song itself is pretty bad IMO). Or the tiny percussion in Got To Get You Into My Life, which sounds wrong.

john morris likes this.
  22. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I’m a Sgt.Pepper onwards Beatles listener so my preference is:

Sgt.Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band - Mono

Magical Mystery Tour - Mono

The White Album - Stereo

Let It Be - Stereo (don’t like the mono)

Abbey Road - Stereo (not a fan of the Brazil mono)

Gila likes this.
  23. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

I don't think these two were mixed for mono, and the available mono versions were just a fold-downs of the stereo.

bherbert likes this.
  24. john morris

It was November 2009. I actually kissed my MONO CD BOX SET when I got it. Like a holy Relic. There I was riding the TTC train home. I had opened up the BOX SET and was marveling at it. Looking at each authentically duplicated mono mini LP. Even the folding of the cardboard on the outside
    I was kicking my feet back and fourth (you know when little kids are too short and their feet don't hit the ground..Like that.) Thinking, "Yea! My MONO BOX!" And it hit me.
    OH NO I HATE MONEY. Why did I buy this again?
    I will give the stereo mix of Revolver another listen when I get home. Most disturbing.

I just realized I didn't finish my MONO BOX story. It was wierd. But I just had to have it. And I am glad I did. I just wanted the mono mix of: Revolver, Pepper and The White Album. Glad that I got the whole thing. Even the mono mixes of the singles and EPs.

A well respected man likes this.
  25. john morris

How about the new stereo mix of the White Album - pretty rad huh?