Which beatles albums are better in mono and which ones in stereo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Shady24, Mar 31, 2017.

1. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

To my ears the Bass guitar on all the Beatles remixes, sounds very similar and nothing like it sounded on the originals. Whatever Giles has used, whether a plug in or not, appears to be routine for him. I personally don't like it, you don't hear the strings resonate.

I don't mind the White Album remix, its good, at least the Hi Res version is (that's all I've listened to). How does it compare to the original? Not sure from memory, I've just picked up a 1970s Japanese pressing in near mint condition, so I will get back to you. That brings me to "height" in the soundstage. When you're sitting back facing your speakers or listening with good headphones, close your eyes and imagine the music as a big stage or painting. There's stuff in the middle and to the left and right. There is also a height. Some things to the right. left or in the middle will appear as coming from a more elevated point. Its more noticeable in more dynamic recordings/masterings. I particularly noticed this when starting to listen to vinyl again and in well mastered real Hi Res. Its an image that you don't really get on CD or at 16/44.1. You get the width but not as much height. The White Album remix to my ears is like that.

I've only listened to bits of the Abbey Rd remix on Youtube. It sounds like a nice mix, competent. Unfortunately, the original when heard properly, is magnificent. For so long I'd gotten used to the CD versions. The 1987 version and then the 2009 which I found uninspiring and sterile. I managed to find a first Australian pressing (vinyl) in reasonably good condition. Wow! Its a thing of beauty. And McCartney's bass on that, that's how it should sound, it sings on Something.

2. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

What do you mean by that, do you have any examples?

3. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

But I am NOT the member sir that believes that. It is our host, The Honourable Steve Hoffman that called the mono mix the "correct version."
    I believe that is because it was done first and the stereo one was done last. Except 15 % of the British population purchased the stereo mix back in 1965 and to them the mono mix wasn't even a thought. Besides both mixes were release at the same time. Sure, The Beatles wanted "What Goes On" to end the way it did on the mono mix but; so what? Sir Paul thought LET IT BE NAKED was a good idea. LOL.

Mickey2 likes this.
  4. john morris

Ok....OK I give up, you win. Thanks a lot. Now all I hear is that stupid cough.

Mickey2 likes this.
  5. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

Regarding the "correct" ending of What Goes On, it would be nice to see some proof.

Mickey2 and Onder like this.
  6. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Of course how a specific piece is produced. But mono is single sourced, like listening to an AM radio no matter how great. While stereo is like y0u are sitting in front of the band, with some of their amps and instruments to one side or the other. Or in the middle.

Mono fans in general seem to be saying that even if you want to call it an illusion are discounting the experience of the musicians themselves in a physical array in front of you.

john morris likes this.
  7. Dan The Man1

Dan The Man1 Never Could Be Any Other Way

Mono is more musical, cohesive, fuller and literally rocks and reaches out of the speakers. Stereo is great for the details and separation of the vocals and instruments. Each have there merits and demerits.

john lennonist and Crimson Witch like this.
  8. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I prefer mono on all except Help, which sounds like absolute crap. 65 Stereo for that one. I think the mono and German Hor Zu stereo versions of Magical Mystery Tour are equally great. That is the absolute best sounding Beatles album, IMHO. I just love the sonics of that one in mono and stereo.

I mostly prefer mono because I grew up on the garbage US stereo nth generation mixes, and hearing the original UK monos in 2009 was a revelation. It was like hearing most of the songs for the first time. Especially Sgt Pepper. The mono is THE version of that album, so said George Martin. Who am I to disagree?

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

This is a ridiculous point to debate...they haven't released Hamburg in ATMOS yet-! :p

dlokazip likes this.
  10. john morris

Actually both John and Martin said it. But that was back in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Martin dropped his "Mono Pepper is the best" view when the CD came out. If this wasn't the case Martin would have insisted that the mono release of Pepper come out on CD. I don't base by opinions on The Gospel According To George Martin and the Beatles." This is music not scripture.

The following rant is not aimed at you sir....

I wish members would stop listing "What Paul likes or what John liked or what the Abbey Road janitor liked" as reasons for liking a particular mix. If you prefer the mono mix than stand by it god damn it. Don't use some Beatle as a reason for preferring the mix. Stop name dropping! It makes you look like a 13 year old teenage girl who prays every night to a poster of The Beatles on her wall.. (I stopped doing that in 1988)

And if you look closely The Beatles opinion on what is good is pretty shabby:
    i.e. the four songs: It's All Too Much, All Together Now, Northern Song and Hey Bulldog were originally going to be released as a 7 inch 33 1/3 EP. (I think with Across The Universe. Not sure about the last one.) But they didn't. When the film company needed Beatles songs for the movie, YELLOW SUBMARINE The Beatles said sternly, "We are not writing any new songs for the movie..." And gave them 4 songs no one had ever heard before. All new stereo mixes. Except for "It's Only A Nothern Song." For some reason The Fab 4 thought these songs were not very good and were throw away tracks.

Move ahead a year or so and it is the release of The Let It Be single. What is the B side? One of the worse Beatle songs ever, YOU KNOW, MY NAME, LOOK UP THE NUMBER. And a mono mix to add insult to injury. Here was John's opinion at work.

Funny, after listening to Anthology 3 I had realized that, YOU KNOW MY NAME, LOOK U0 THE NUMBER in it's unedited form wasn't half-bad and with the stereo mix it was pretty good. But instead we got the crappy edited mono mix.
    This was John's choice for a B side. And this is why I don't really care what any Beatle has to say about a mix or album.

11. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

Paul actually spoke fondly of that track, too. It appears that it was fun to fool around and record that one for both of them.
    Not sure about it being a good choice of a B-side. Surely would've been nice to have a properly finished Beatles song by George on that single instead.

john morris and john lennonist like this.
  12. john morris

No argument there. A stereo mix of the full version would have been good too.

13. john morris

Well mono lovers will say every album is better on mono. Honestly. And I prefer stereo so you can trust my opinion.

Best in mono:
    Please Please Me
    With The Beatles
    A Hard Day's Night
    Rubber Soul

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't seek out the others in mono. Although MMT mono does not impress me. Download Mono Past Masters. But download the stereo mix as well. The mono mix of The White Album is inferior to all the stereo mixes but it is a must to have.

For Pepper you need to hear all three:
    1967 mono mix
    1967 stereo mix
    2015 new stereo mix

Just my Canadian nickel.

14. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I don't usually like mono but I must agree that the mono mix of Rubber Soul sounds better to me.

dlokazip, DK Pete and john morris like this.
  15. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I just wish when they released the mono set in 2014, they didn’t follow the mastering notes from the 60’s. Today’s equipment can obviously handle much wider frequency ( bass, etc) which is severely lacking (especially TWA) in the mono set. That’s why I love the remixes. ADITL now has the power that is always deserved and was lacking on previous issues. The final note, the orchestra on the part after the aah’s, is now fitting in terms of power on a majestic song just as this.

16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

For me, Rubber Soul wins out in mono by default..it has less sibilance and sounds far more cohesive than the very inconsistent stereo mix. But in and of itself, it's no more than 'ok'. I think a well balanced stereo remix. would give it quite a run for the money.

17. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I have the 2014 mono and several copies of the German Die Beatles. I know the wide stereo mix bugs people, but the tonality is so much better to my ears with the German stereo that's what I always prefer. Never heard an original Parlophone mono, though.

Again, for me tonality trumps mono or stereo, and for me the 1978 Canadian wide stereo is pure sweetness to my hears, far beats the UK stereo EMI one box I used to have (the Canadian prompted me to sell it). I haven't listened to my 2014 mono in a while, so I have to revisit...

I have a UK EMI one box stereo and that's what I always listen to. Again, that could be because it has been my go to since 1974 and I never even heard a mono until the 2000s...but the air around the voices and acoustic guitars usually sells me over the monos...

I agree with the mono being better overall, but I grew up with the UK stereo and whenever I listen to the mono, I always "hear" what's missing in the mono from the stereo and that's always the air and extra detail in the quiet bits. Can't help it.

I sometimes concluded that I liked the rockier tunes in mono over the stereo, but I still prefer stereo if I had to pick just one.

I thought the new stereo mix was a fantastic step forward with regard to balancing the mix between right and left, but a giant step backward with regard to mastering. And turning that final piano chord at the end of A Day In The Life into a brick walled gun shot blast just threw it for me. I sold it. But I sure thought the re-balancing was the right move. Had it been mastered more to my liking I guess I'd have kept it.

Just my Jahn Kee nickel.

18. 80steen

80steen John McClane

PPM - Mono all day
    WTB - Mono all day
    AHDN - Mono (Although the stereo is pretty good)
    Beatles For Sale - Stereo (Although Mono isn't bad)
    Help! - Stereo: 65 Original, although the 87 remix I can deal with more than the mono
    Rubber Soul - Stereo: 65 Original even though it's a wider mix it's nowhere as bad as the stereo PPM or WTB. The mono of this is far better than the mono Help! and again, the 87 remix is somewhat acceptable.
    Revolver - Stereo, but again the mono is good and favored by many.
    SPLHCB - Mono, although the stereo is solid
    MMT - Stereo
    White Album - Stereo but some cool tracks are in mono
    Past Masters, if you break it up into Past Masters I and II like in the 87 releases I'd got I for mono and II for stereo.
    If forced with just the whole set as in the 2009 remasters, I'd lean stereo.

19. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

This is the best breakdown I've seen so far but I'd go for MMT in Mono as well.

john lennonist and 80steen like this.
  20. Ricky Minerva

Ricky Minerva Forum Resident

In many cases here for me it's track by track..rather than by lp
    e.g. I prefer "money" in stereo and the rest generally in mono on WTB
    and with PPme it's stereo except for the obvious love me do/ps i love you single in mono
    and mmt some mono and some stereo...

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  21. Raf

Raf Senior Member

The mono Beatles albums are better in mono, and the stereo Beatles albums are better in stereo.

22. BeatleBruceMayer

BeatleBruceMayer Forum Resident

It's too bad the rest of With the Beatles wasn't mixed like "Money."

23. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I agree that the Pepper stereo mix sounds better in stereo, while the Pepper mono mix sounds better in mono. :p

24. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

My preferences:

PPM: 1982 UK mono, I also love the -1/-1 stereo (I am musician and love to hear the instruments)
    WTB: early 60s UK mono press
    AHDN: -1/-1 UK stereo
    WTB: -1/-1 UK stereo
    HLP: -4/-4 UK stereo
    RS: 2014 mono, I am also fond of the 80s stereo -6/-5
    RV: German late 70s stereo Apple
    SGTP: -1/-1 stereo EMI 1 or 2 Box Gramophone Ltd. (I know I may be in the minority, but I love it), the -1/-1 mono is very special, too (you need both :) )
    MMT: German 1973 stereo Hörzu
    WA: German early SMO or early UK stereo -1/-1/-1/-1 or -1/-3/-1-/-2
    YS: UK early stereo -1/-1 or -3/-1
    AR: UK early stereo -2/-1
    LIB: UK early stereo -2U/-2U

25. john morris

We don't have a penny anymore. That is why I say, "Just my nickel."

FYI: The limiter only acts on transient peaks. The difference between the 1967 Day In The Life and the new mix is no more than 1 db. Your vinyl record probably has more compression on it.

I prefer all the mixes in stereo. But the word doesn't revolve around me. So although I may prefer the stereo mixes that doesn't mean that others will.

Adam9, EdogawaRampo and DK Pete like this.