Which Beatles LPs were pressed in these countries?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by socorro, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinio65

pinio65 Forum Resident

Please add scans of side B.

2. VinylAggression

VinylAggression New Member

Hello Everyone!

I'm a newbie to this forum. I've been collecting records for... well, let's just say a VERY long time. When I first started collecting, my main interest was in old punk records, rockabilly, and (having spent the past 22 years in Seattle) a lot of NW rock and grunge. I even got my Dad (he lived in New Hampshire) hooked on collecting them about 20 years ago. I know... yadda yadda yadda, YAWN...nobody's interested. LOL, in any case (to finally get to the point), my Dad left me his collection when he passed away a little over a year ago. Not that I really needed any more vinyl (or even had room for more)... but for my addiction to records I found myself hauling about 1200 lbs of them from NH back to Seattle.

I realized, after 2 recent moves, that I needed to start weeding out some of them. While going through the Beatles records he had acquired from who knows how many yard sales, I ran across one that I was unable to find any information on... and no history of sales on Ebay. That's how I ended up at this forum.

With all of that said, here's the info:

Abbey Road (Nigerian Pressing on Parlophone: 1969)
    PCS 7088

Notes:
    THE COVER is laminate. It has the "offset" apple on the back, and is "Printed by Garrod & Lofthouse International Ltd". "Her Majesty" is not listed on the back... or on the record label.
    THE LABELS are black with silver print. It's Stereo, as apparently all of the Nigerian releases are. Around the rim it says "E.M.I. (Nigeria) Ltd." and near the bottom says "Made in Nigeria by R.M.N. LTD". According to the info in this thread, that would mean it was pressed post-October 1969. Since the label states the year as '69, I'm assuming this was pressed between 11/69 - 12/69 ???? Perhaps one of the earliest releases from one of the newer plants?
    Side 1 label says YEX 749 and the matrix trail-off is stamped YEX 749-2
    Side 2 label says YEX 750 and the matrix trail-off is stamped YEX 750-1

I'm getting ready to list this on Ebay, but wanted to share the info before I do. If there is any other info that I can provide, please let me know. Hopefully the pix will upload properly. Happy hunting everyone! Cheers!

label1 copy.jpg label2 copy.jpg frontcover copy.jpg back.jpg spine1 copy.jpg

mc7t likes this.
  3. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Welcome to the forum VinylAgression! Anyone who hauls over a thousand pounds of records coast to coast is going to fit-in here just fine:)
    I'm no expert, but as a long-time collector of foreign Beatles pressings I don't think I've seen any from Nigeria. Adding to the interest of your copy of Abbey Road is that most countries issued the album on Apple, much less so on Parlophone. You don't mention how the record sounds. You should probably give it a spin and note whether or not it plays through without skipping and what the noise level is like. That's going to play a big role in the value of the piece. Good luck with it, and thanks for the cool photos.

4. VinylAggression

VinylAggression New Member

Hey forthlin! Thanks for the welcome... and for the additional info. Much appreciated! It's now listed on Ebay, curious to see if there is any interested in it. Thanks again!
    Cheers.

5. socorro

socorro Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can add some new ones also:

Bolivia: Rubber Soul, BOLP 250
    Thailand, Help, PCS 3071

6. Jacques Gautreaux

Jacques Gautreaux Well-Known Member

Meet the Beatles was also pressed in Jamaica. I have the one that is featured in the Bruce Spizer Capitol Records book. The label is black rainbow Capitol except that the oval logo is to the side of the play hole like the late fifties style. The perimeter print says press in Jamaica. The cover is a standard US version.

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

VinylAggression,

Welcome aboard to the forum. Anyone who moves an over 1,200 pound record collection is one of us for sure. You share the enthusiasm for music we do. So, you are truly one of us. Interesting photos, thanks for posting them. Jacques Gautraux, also welcome to the forums.

8. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I have a couple Beatles from Uruguay
    Popsike is a great place to look.Here are two countries I pulled up at random.

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksea...tles+angola&thumbs=&currsel=&sortord=&x=0&y=0

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksea...les+nigeria&thumbs=&currsel=&sortord=&x=0&y=0

9. EasterEverywhere

I have an original pressing of Ram from Nicaragua.It's on a red Odeon label,not Apple,but it does say it's an Apple recording on the label.

10. EasterEverywhere

What Beatle records looked like in the 60s when first issued in Korea,not mine.Seen it elsewhere on LKL,who pressed the record in my avatar.

[​IMG]

11. socorro

Most of the UK Beatles LPs were eventually issued in Nicaragua on a wide variety of label styles. I've never seen Nicaragua versions of With The Beatles or Help. In addition, two non-UK LPs were issued: Hey Jude and Por Siempre Beatles (first issued in Argentina).

As near as I can tell, the first Beatles LP issued in Nicaragua was Oldies, on a black old-style Odeon label. Before that, the Central America EMI affiliate was located in Costa Rica, where several of the early US LPs (plus the UK Beatles For Sale) were issued.

The old-style black label was used in Nicaragua until about 1970, at which point it kept the old-style layout but switched to a reddish orange color. From your description, this sounds like the label style on you copy of Ram.

Nicaragua later used Apple labels and a plainer new-style black Odeon label. I'm not sure of the order in which these two label styles were used. These label styles are the only ones I've seen used for the pre-Oldies LPs.

Sgt. Pepper was also issued in Nicaragua on a Mexican-style Capitol label (the dome logo is on the left, not on the top as in the US).

EMI shifted its Central American operation to Guatemala circa 1973, because a massive earthquake destroyed most of Managua (the capitol of Nicaragua), and the rebuilding was greatly hampered by the Somoza government redirecting most of the international aid money into their own pockets and those of their cronies, which then led to a civil war which resulted in Somoza's ouster.

12. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member

13. BrunoG

BrunoG Forum Resident

I have

Guatamalan pressing of the White Album Odeon 33145

Bolivian pressing of Help original on red vinyl

Barbados pressing of Let It Be box set although the packaging is a UK export with a Barbados sticker

2 interesting Nigerian 45's

There's a Place/Twist and Shout Parlophone DPN-306

Do You Want To Know A Secret/Taste of Honey DPN-305

socorro likes this.
  14. pierroferrero

pierroferrero New Member

Hi!
    I personally own LPs from more than 45 different countries in the world!

Here is my list (sorry all of the countries are in French ;) )
    Afrique du Sud
    Allemagne
    Argentine
    Autriche
    Belgique
    Biélorussie
    Brésil
    Bulgarie
    Chili
    Colombie
    Corée du Sud
    Costa Rica
    Danemark
    France
    Guatemala
    Hollande
    Hongrie
    Inde
    Iran
    Irlande
    Israël
    Italie
    Japon
    Malaysie
    Mozambique
    Nouvelle Zélande
    Nicaragua
    Nigeria
    Ouzbékistan
    Pologne
    Roumanie
    URSS
    USA
    RDA
    Rhodésie du Sud
    Royaume-Uni
    Russie
    Singapour
    Suède
    Taïwan
    Tchécoslovaquie
    Thaïlande
    Turquie
    Uruguay
    Venezuela
    Yougoslavie

So what I consider as my rarest LPs are

WTB and SPLHCB from Nigeria
    A collection of Beatles oldies from Nicaragua
    Rubber Soul from Turkey
    Red Album from Mozambique
    20 greatest Hits and Reel to Reel music from Guatemala
    Beatles for Sale from Costa Rica
    Rarities from Ireland

Here is a shape collage with some of my labels from worldwide that I found that get on well together as it is really colorful ;)

Attached Files:

15. socorro

I noticed in your collage you have a black & yellow copy of Sgt. Pepper, but I couldn't figure out which country it is from. It looks like the wrong layout for the UK, Finland, Australia, India, Jamaica and the Philippines, it has the wrong catalog number for Portugal or Venezuela, and I don't think Sgt. Pepper was issued on the black & yellow label in Sweden. Could it be Israel? I'm dying to know!

16. pierroferrero

pierroferrero New Member

Oh that s actually the mono version of SPLHCB from FRANCE! It must be the only one french LP with the black and yellow parlophone label. The catalog number is a British one as this LP was housed in a non french cover. Most of them were housed in British covers (so in order the cat number that were on the cover fitted with the cat number on the label they decided to give it the British cat number) and others were housed in Made In Germany sleeve as the one that I actually have. :D Hoping that i'm not mistaking

17. socorro

No, you are 100% correct. I completely forgot that the first French copies of Sgt. Pepper were on the black & yellow Parlophone label. I have a copy on the black & red Odeon label with the UK catalog number, which came aout a few months later. I don't remember if my copy is mono or stereo.

I'm pretty sure it was the only French Beatles LP ever made on that label.

18. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I love Beatles Worldwide books.
    Not sure how complete the are.

Darryl

19. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

Saw a documentary in North Korea and how they never allowed it's people to play or listen to "western" pop or rock music. However, in order to let the "high social class" Koreans learn English, they have to go to The Grand People's Study House Library. They have regular classes and they are only allowed to listen to Beatles cassette music tapes. The documentary showed students listening to old beat up early 80s Abbey Road and Hard Day's Night cassettes. In the documentary the North Koreans are Like "this is how we learn English...we listen to this music". Sad that the North Koreans were robbed of this music for the past century. I wonder if most would be able to use a turntable and listen to an LP.

20. socorro

The Maus book for the LPs is super useful but it has some holes, especially Central America and the West Indies.

21. pierroferrero

pierroferrero New Member

The Maus also has some mistakes for the French discography I think! A few problems concerning the OSXs!

22. socorro

The problem with the French discography in the Maus book is what the label colors mean. The book says that it shows when they were released, with blue older than orange. The problem, of course, is that two of the latest OSX LPs (Help, OSX 230 and 14 Greatest Hits, OSX 231) are much more common in blue, and one of the earlier ones (No. 1, OSX 225) is much more common in orange. I have never seen Les Beatles (OSX 222), 4 Garcons (OSX 226) or Beatles 1965 (OSX 228) with a blue label. Rubber Soul (OSX 232) is the last one and I've only seen it in orange, except for the super rare export copies (OSX HS 24001) that were on a blue label.

So I still have no idea why some were on orange labels and some were on blue labels.

Pierroferrero, do you know what the label colors are about?

23. pierroferrero

pierroferrero New Member

Actually I remembered that in the Maus "4 garçons dans le vent" OSX 226 is listed as being first pressed with a Blue Odeon label and then a few months later with on Orange label. I have never seen any of this LP with a Blue label. I think he must be mistaken when he says that the orange style appeared in late 1965 as for me it would be more the label style from late 1964. I would love to have more precision by an OSX collector.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.