Which big bands never made a bad album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Forum Resident Thread Starter

Absolutely +1 on this, and I've heard all of his released work. The man hasn't made a bad album or even a bad song with anyone else.

2. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

This will probably get me in trouble, but I was never a huge fan of Screaming Trees. Other than that I agree 100%. I don't know what demon he sold his soul to in order to keep turning out such great stuff, but here's hoping he keeps renewing his subscription.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  3. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Forum Resident

That may be, but are these bands really classified as "big"?

4. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Forum Resident

Slayer
    Nirvana
    Motorhead
    AC/DC
    Wildhearts (not "big" in the US, but are in the UK, so I'm including them)

5. Does this include the soundtrack album More and UmmaGumma? Both pretty weak studio material (but not without some redeeming tracks). AIMHO.

6. I can't go this far because I think Islands is a pretty dreary album. I like the rest of their 70s albums.

7. Chrome_Head

It is. And there are moments that sound particularly uninspired. But I personally don't find it to be a bad album, and it has some great cuts.

8. Yeah, I can see your point. It has its moments.

9. Chrome_Head

It's also the band's lowest point in the 70's by a wide margin. Fripp even said the album's opening cut, 'Formentera Lady', "sucks"!

10. As long as I live (56 and counting) I'll never completely get the dislike for Beatles For Sale. Yes it has a bunch of covers, but they are well done and inspired choices. The originals are almost all excellent and the Dylan-inspired darker songs are unique in their catalog. It is also about the best recorded album (excepting Abbey Road) and a fun album to play on a Sunday morning while you are cooking breakfast with your significant other (did this yesterday!). It is my favorite album by The Beatles.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  11. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Forum Resident

What am I supposed to dislike about the other tracks on Goodbye?

:hide:

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  12. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

I forgot about another band besides Beatles and Zep: XTC.

13. Chrome_Head

Honestly I don't think I've heard a bad Trees album, even going back to the really early SST stuff.

14. Chrome_Head

I love More, but yeah, I find Ummagumma to be very weak.

15. Tristero

Tristero Forum Resident

It took me a while to warm up to Islands, but I now think that side one is pretty amazing, particularly in glorious 5.1 (including "Formentera Lady"--it takes a while to build, but I love the second half and the way that it transitions into "A Sailor's Tale").

If there's a dud in the Crimson catalog, it has to be The Construction of Light. I've grown to appreciate the live performances from that era, particularly their return to improv territory, but I still think that the material is weak by Crimson standards, with Belew's lyrics verging on self parody.

mark winstanley and Judge Judy like this.
  16. Tristero

Tristero Forum Resident

Absolutely! Beatles For Sale was a key transitional album on their way to a more mature sound, particularly with John's more introspective songwriting. I actually prefer it to most of their other pre-Rubber Soul albums with the exception of A Hard Day's Night.

the Mac and AudiophilePhil like this.
  17. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

If I'm not mistaken, they included nothing from The ConstruKction of Light on the 21st Century Guide to King Crimson, so it would seem they agree with you.

18. Tristero

Tristero Forum Resident

Agreed. The studio album is redeemed somewhat by "Grantchester Meadows" and "The Narrow Way". I still tend to think that they should have combined the best of these two albums into one powerful statement, a la "The Man and The Journey".

Chrome_Head likes this.
  19. Tristero

Tristero Forum Resident

Some of their albums are better than others, of course, but they all have memorable highlights. Yes, that includes the unfairly underrated Go2! To me, it feels like a natural bridge between the debut and Drums & Wires, brimming with ideas and increasing confidence.

20. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

I actually like Go2 better than the first album. Deliriously insane music.

Big Express is probably their biggest quality dip.

21. O.K. wait ...hold up...Stop the presses! There were no long playing 33 1/3 records before the 50's.

22. The song was good. so the rest of the album is bad then?

23. Chrome_Head

Islands was the last of the Crim 70's albums I bought on CD in the late 90's (even back then I knew of its weak reputation), and it was also recently the last of their 70's albums I re-bought on vinyl.

I took someone's advice here on the forum, and put the Islands record on, dimmed the lights, and listened to the whole thing with my full attention (not reading or fiddling with my phone as I sometimes do while listening to music). My estimation of it went up a bit (the used pressing I got was an 80's EG Editions reissue that was in great shape), particularly the Fripp orchestrated track "Prelude: Song Of The Gulls". I think this incarnation of the band with Boz on vocals is an interesting one (as evidenced on the boombox-quality recording of the live album Earthbound), but it's still my least favorite album of the band pre-Discipline. Doesn't have the raw power of the first two studio albums, the trippy eccentricity of Lizard, or the bruising interplay and intensity (and the sheer inventiveness) of the Wetton/Fripp/Bruford/Cross (& Muir) years. Islands is just kind of there.

I've yet to hear the Wilson remix or the 5.1, but have heard from certain corners on here that it is indeed great.

I have a soft spot for this album, as I bought it on CD the day it came out, and this was the album the band were touring for when I first saw them live way back in 2000.

Had it on a couple summers ago, and there is a bit of an annoying elastic sound to the whole thing (the V-drums were a novelty at the time, but they have not held up well sound-wise). But I found Belew's lyrics and antics on it to be charming for the most part, though it's not his best work (the stacked vocals on "Into The Frying Pan" are fantastic, IMO--great tune).

The follow up, 2003's The Power To Believe, improved on TKoL in nearly every way. And it seems like it will be the final Crimson studio album proper.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    mark winstanley and Tristero like this.
  24. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Pick up a fast car, burn my name in the road

Islands was my favourite for a long while ... so far I haven't heard a Crimson album I would call bad ... there are a couple that seem less inspired, but not bad

Vanja likes this.
  25. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I rather like the 9-minute live "I'm So Glad" but overall, those live cuts lack a certain energy, and Clapton in particular sounds like he didn't want to be there. It was during this time he was getting burned out on playing those long jams night after night. I'm quite fond of the 3 studio tracks. "Badge" is pretty classic, and the other 2 songs remind me of early Traffic. As an overall album experience, I place it in a class with the Beatles' Let It Be. Some good songs there, but as an album, a not so grand finale.

Chrome_Head likes this.