Which big bands never made a bad album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Forum Resident Thread Starter

Even lesser ones that've never grabbed me, such as Beat and Three Of A Perfect Pair have their charms, and are certainly by no means bad whatsoever.

Vanja and mark winstanley like this.
  2. Tristero

Tristero Forum Resident

At the time, I remember being disappointed that they seemed to increasingly eating their own tail and recycling old ideas, what with "Fractured" and "Lark's Tongues, Part IV", particularly given how forward looking they had been in the past. I agree that the follow up was far superior, a fine concluding statement from the band (assuming that it's their final studio album).
    It was hearing the live material from that era--in particular the Ladies of the Road compilation--that really warmed me up to the Islands band. Mel Collins is an absolute monster on the sax, a great foil for Fripp. I'm glad that he's back in the fold now. (Earthbound was a little harder to digest, given the raw sound quality, but I've come around on that one too, particularly in its expanded form now. The version of "The Letters" that they added there, in particular, is a mind blower!)

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Pick up a fast car, burn my name in the road

Unfortunately I just have the seventies studio albums. I haven't delved into the original live albums. I just have Monkey Mind and Mexico

4. Chrome_Head

Well, they had already went to the well of "Larks Tongues In Aspic III" on Three Of A Perfect Pair. You could even argue that Poseidon hews very closely to the format of In The Court Of as well. But I know what you mean. Really felt like they were digging the dinosaur bones on TKoL at times, to appropriate another Belew lyric.

Caught the Jakko-led Crimson live a couple summers ago, the triple-drummer beast that it is. Mel Collins wails and his presence in the band again is a very welcome one. The set list drew on a few numbers from Islands as well as (surprisingly) Lizard.

Tristero and mark winstanley like this.
  5. Jaycat

Jaycat Forum Resident

There were these things called "albums." They had cardboard covers and inside were a bunch of 78s, each one in a brown paper sleeve. I wish I weren't old enough to remember...

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  6. Muriel Heslop

Muriel Heslop Well-Known Member

Eurythmics
    [​IMG]

In my opinion,all nine of their LP releases were perfectly brilliant and continue to stand the test of time.

pwhytey likes this.
  7. Tristero

Tristero Forum Resident

Oh man, there's a goldmine waiting for you, my friend! Though I love their studio albums, King Crimson really shines live. That Ladies of the Road compilation that I mentioned is a great starting point for that era. They cut loose with gusto in a way that they didn't on Islands.

8. Thievius

Thievius Blue Öyster Cultist

Led Zeppelin. It pains me I can't mention any more of my favorite bands because all of them have had hiccups along the way. I think one could also make a case for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, but I haven't heard all of their records. Same with The Police.

Pink Floyd? Nope. Ummagumma and in my opinion The Final Cut are bad albums.
    The Who? Nope. Endless Wire.
    ELO? No, their last couple were pretty mediocre and Discovery isn't great.
    Blue Oyster Cult? Not with Club Ninja around.
    The Doors? When Morrison was alive, sure. But post 71? Nope.
    ELP? Nope. Love Beach. Even the Works albums were spotty at best.
    Rush? No, their mid 80s stuff is horrible,imo.
    Genesis? Nope. Calling All Stations, Invisible Touch, and We Can't Dance say hello.
    The Kinks? Amazing band, but there were some pretty mediocre albums, especially later on. I don't think Misfits is a particularly strong effort either.

Led Zeppelin albums are all great, however. I don't count Coda because its a post breakup comp of unreleased cutting room tracks. They were cut for a reason.

Crungy likes this.
  9. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Don’t look from USA only, they were definitely more popular in Europe and “Down Under”.

10. Chrome_Head

I don't think In Through the Out Door is very strong, but it's not bad I guess. Has at least 3 pretty great songs ("In The Evening", "I'm Gonna Crawl", "All My Love").

LongGoneBon likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits and Abbie: Best Dogs Ever

I need to spin their albums more. I own them all but never liked what I heard beyond the singles...

Muriel Heslop likes this.
  12. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Basso Profundo

Cheap Trick.
    And before anyone says The Doctor - the songs are OK.

13. But the term "album" wasn't used until the long player came out. A 78 was never referred to as an "album". A 'record' but not an album. An album is a collection of at least 10 songs. (Not withstanding long progressive rock albums). How many songs on an 78 at best? 4 tops.
    I could be wrong. I am often wrong. Could be wrong this time. But even if a 78 was called an album 4 songs is more like a EP than an album. It's easy to turn out 4 great songs. But try 8, 10 or 14 as the Fab Four did. It's just not the same thing. And I think everyone means the Long playing 12 inch 33 1/3 or the compact dick.

If you are old enough to remember the 78's then you must be at least 63. And I thought I had been around a long time. I started school the same year America pulled it's troops out of The Vietnam War which was the same year Bruce Lee died. I remember seeing the last season of B Witched.

What was the first 33 1/3 record you bought?

14. You don't like "Fool In The Rain?" That actually happened to me. I was the fool waiting for this girl (first date) on the wrong block. I figured it out and ran to the right block and there she was.

You know a lot of people laugh when I say,
    "Hot Dog" is one of my favorite Zeppelin songs. Funny how the fans have short memories. Led Zeppelin only performed three song on their last tour: "In The Evening," "All Of Love," and "Hot Dog." This was to the band the best off their new album. Although I don't know why they didn't perform , "Fool In The Rain."

LongGoneBon likes this.
  15. There is no Doors without Jim Morrison. This isn't Chicago we are talking about here or AC/DC where getting someone else to play drums or guitars doesn't alter the sound of the band. Sorry gang but Terry Kath was pretty much in a drug filled haze the last few years before he shot himself in the face by accident while high. And he wasn't really on those last two albums. He was there just not really pulling his weight. I miss him, big fan so don't get me wrong. But the days of his great wild guitar solos were way behind him.

The doors sound was: The great playing of the band, Jim's voice and poet words. A new singer is not The Doors. When we mean The Doors everyone on here knows what is meant.

For example the last Who album was NOT a Who album. Anymore than "Free As A Bird" was a Beatle song.

Hombre likes this.
  16. I love Zep but do you really think that last album was good? I don't. Every song as tonbe good. Question. If you had never heard Zeppelin before and you heard "In Through The Outdoor" would you say it was good?

17. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Lizard for me, sorry. But I would agree mostly.

18. Chrome_Head

I have to disagree here, as I count “An American Prayer” as a Doors album, because it has Jim’s spoken word and poetry over some great jams by the Doors. Similarly, “Free As A Bird” and “Real Love” count as Beatles songs, because that’s Lennon singing with the three other guys present, and it doesn’t matter to me when Lennon’s portion was recorded.

Folknik likes this.
  19. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

More's a brilliant album in every way, and the live album of UmmaGumma is a classic. You're correct the studio album of UmmaGumma is hit and miss, it had Grantchester Meadows and The Narrow Way which were great songs but the rest of it is throw away. I think the good on that album out weighs the bad in all honesty. I wouldn't say UmmaGumma is a "bad" album, it's an experimental album for sure, but bad?? Probably not.

Polyscias and Chrome_Head like this.
  20. Jim B.

Jim B. Forum Resident

Then the question of the thread would be 'For what artist do you like all their albums'. But that is not the title. It is 'which band never made a bad album' which, I think, introduces a level of objectivity to the issue, above merely 'I like it so it's a great album'. There are many albums that I love that I admit are not 'great' albums, I can separate the two.

DiBosco likes this.
  21. Jim B.

Jim B. Forum Resident

FWIW even during her 'golden' period in the late 60's she released some very poor albums. Aretha Arrives only has one or two original songs and pretty forgettable cover of things like 96 Tears, That's Life and You Are My Sunshine. What were they thinking (well, it was unit shifting). In 2004, Q ranked the album at number 1 in its list of "20 Forgettable Follow-Ups to Big Albums" which says a lot.

Soul '69 is perhaps even worse, no original material and 12 cover versions of variable quality.

Fantastic musicians on both albums but even that can't elevate the material. Both those I would only recommend to hardcore fans. And I'm a big fan.

22. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Pick up a fast car, burn my name in the road

Probably my least favourite, but not sure I would call it bad ... and then it's a matter of degrees ... who knows lol

23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

As an example...Allmusic gave Lizard a 9/10 and 1105 posts of this album on their site also average out to a 9/10...this is one of my personal favorites from the band (nice Jazz flavor). This is one thread that can go all over the place very fast...

24. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

It's all subjective, but In Through the Out Door is one of my favorite LZ albums, and I personally like it much better than Presence. Sure, it's a different sound with John Paul Jones and his synth experiments coming more to the forefront, but that's one reason I love it. Led Zeppelin III is my favorite of their albums but I remember it getting a lot of hate for the acoustic folk of Side 2 by people who couldn't handle such a radical deviation from their hard rocking blues-based signature sound. The Beatles and (after some initial resistance from his folk purist fan base) Bob Dylan were lauded for departing from "the formula" , but when Led Zep and certain other artists decided to branch out a bit, many just didn't want to hear it. It's hard to accurately rewrite our own listening history, but I really believe I would have liked In Through the Out Door if I had never heard Led Zep before. To me, it has a really nice melodic vibe with "Hot Dog" adding a touch of variety without clashing with the rest of it, and I love the hypnotic prog of "Carouselambra."

LongGoneBon and Terrapin Station like this.
  25. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

If you re-read Jaycat's post, it defines the 78 RPM album as a case of "a bunch of 78s." One 78 record is not an album in and of itself, but a single. However, due to its 3-minutes per side time limitation, albums were cases of several 78s, usually in a hard cover book type of form with 6 or more 78s inside in attached paper sleeves, totaling 10,12, or even more songs, depending on how many records were in the set. This was called an album (with "pages" much like a photo album) before the 33 1/3 LP was developed in 1948. One example: Woody Guthrie's 1940 Dust Bowl Ballads (widely considered the first concept album) was originally released as a case of 78s before it was re-released as one 33 1/3 LP. Being born in 1953, I don't remember the heyday of those cases of 78s, but I caught a few of them on the rebound in thrift stores.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019