Which big bands never made a bad album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits and Abbie: Best Dogs Ever

"Long Run" definitely isn't a great album in my eyes, but it's also not a "bad album"! :)

The OP does make things confusing by adding the "great album" part of the post. Doesn't seem clear if he REALLY only wants bands with nothing but great albums - which narrows the thread tremendously - or if we're fine with the ones who just managed to avoid bad albums...

2. Jim B.

Jim B. Forum Resident

I think if you were young at the time then BFS is probably a favourite as you were caught up in the excitement and everything, and I get that. But it was clear they were running on fumes at this point and their was obvious pressure to get more product out so they released an album when they were not ready. AHDN and Help, the albums either side, had zero and two covers. BFS has six covers, no way they should be looking at so many covers at this stage, and the original material is very variable. I think there are four good to great original songs on the album. An EP would be a better way of releasing them, or they could have waited until they had some more material.

LIB is about half an album of good material and it's mostly ruined by the production. Compare it to Abbey Road and it is poor in that comparison.

These two are pretty universally accepted as the two weakest Beatles albums.

3. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Yup, got 'em all. I'd say none of them are "bad", but the string to which I referred to me is stellar.

If it's "never did anything but a 'great' album", that's a lot harder. Maybe Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Harry Belafonte, Aretha.

4. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

The Go-Betweens never made a bad album. Too bad Grant isn't around today.
    The Chills, excellent band.

5. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

Fair enough, however IMHO, Calling All Stations is not a bad album. Songs like Congo, Dividing Line, Shipwrecked and the title track make up for the weaker stuff on it.

6. Claus

Claus Restaurant Critic

No bad album....

Nirvana
    Nick Drake
    Tommy Bolin
    Frumpy
    Jimi Hendrix

7. Oatsdad

Given that I wasn't born until 1967, kinda hard for me to be swayed by what I thought of it in 1964.

Oh, and being American, I wouldn't have gotten "BFS" anyway...

If that's your measure, then 99% of all albums will be "poor in comparison". Seriously - if an album isn't as good as "AR", it's bad? :help:

Perhaps, but "weakest" and "bad" aren't the same thing...

GimmieSomeTruth and Tristero like this.
  8. Oatsdad

Aretha? I'm not a fan but I gotta imagine she had some rough patches. Does anyone view stuff like "Who's Zoomin' Who" as great?

9. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

I'm beginning to think this is the correct answer.

All Down The Line likes this.
  10. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Forum Resident

What tells one if something is a good or bad album if not whether one likes it?

thematinggame likes this.
  11. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

Jimi Hendrix

Though i wish he had gotten the chance. The man had so much left to give, which too many people wanted a piece of.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  12. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I'm guessing you're referring to the 2 post-Morrison albums. I agree that they're not as good as the ones they made with Jim, and there's a certain something missing, but I wouldn't call them bad. The other 3 Doors were much more than just Jim's backup and they maintained that level of musicianship. There are some good songs there and they explored some different directions. Pretty polarizing albums.

13. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a copy of Full Circle on vinyl that someone must have given me, and I find it's nearly impossible to listen to all the way through.

14. Chrome_Head

The first 3 are marvelous, but if we're counting Goodbye, that is a bloody terrible album in just about every way.

15. jl151080

jl151080 Forum Resident

I wondered how long it would be until someone mentioned Hot Space :D

I would have agreed with you years ago but my opinion of Hot Space has totally changed since the 2011 remaster.

I’m not including The Cosmos Ricks - it’s not a proper Queen album.

16. jl151080

jl151080 Forum Resident

Any album with ‘Badge’ on it isn’t terrible.

Terrapin Station and Folknik like this.
  17. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

The Rolling Stones

18. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

To my ears, they almost sound like they're channeling Morrison's ghost on "Verdilac", "It Slipped My Mind", and the cover of "Good Rockin' ". I also really like "Piano Bird" although it's not a very Doors type of song, but I could never hear Jim singing about molesting a mosquito and eating a burrito. On "The Peking King and the New York Queen", it sounds like Ray Manzarek is trying a little too hard to be Frank Zappa.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  19. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Heh. The Soft Parade is my favorite Doors album.

Hombre likes this.
  20. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Forum Resident

I like the post-Morrison Doors albums. Not as much as the earlier stuff, but I like them.

Folknik likes this.
  21. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Zeppelin and the Beatles are the only two I can think of.

22. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I didn't even keep Whistling Down the Wire. The back cover pic mirrors the mediocrity and overall downer vibe of the album. Nash looks like he's forcing a smile and Crosby looks like he's either stoned or throwing up.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  23. Chrome_Head

Too bad everything else on it is mind-blowingly awful.

It's not my favorite, but I like it quite a bit. It's like the culmination of their psych sound, which they would largely abandon for good after that album.

mbrownp1 likes this.
  24. Chrome_Head

Yeah, there's not much on there I like besides "Foolish Man" by Croz. His song on there "Dancer" is terrible. I noticed they used co-writers on some of the other songs like "Spotlight" (which I guess is kind of rousing).

The whole thing just has a thrown-together (and throw away) quality.

Folknik likes this.
  25. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Since he went solo, everything I've heard by Mark Lanegan has been excellent. To me that includes Mark Lanegan, the Mark Lanegan Band, and his collaborations with Isobel Campbell and Duke Garwood. Great stuff, all the way through.