Which boxset was the biggest disappointment to you?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zambon12, Mar 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

And they still haven't corrected the speed of his recordings either.

I agree too about Join Together - I saw them on that tour and thought they were great - and that set is horrible.

Walt, Mark J and Humbuster like this.
  2. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I loved a lot of it, but, the overdubs didn't work, some mixes were wrong, etc. But what was really annoying was finding out later that it was originally going to be an 8 CD, 128 song box. Then it was going to be around 100 songs as a 6 CD set.
    Both times, "It won't sell to the hardcore fans" says Landau.

Brilliant....:rolleyes:

3. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

and Carefree Country Day.

4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

One of the worst ever.

5. PacificOceanBlue

Live material as well.

ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. PacificOceanBlue

Aside from the creative packaging, the bonus content for Springsteen's Darkness box set was largely underwhelming and disappointing with a significant amount of material containing modern-era overdubbing and the vintage '78 era live show being a copy of a jumbotron video.

Guy Smiley, supernaut and bobloblaw like this.
  7. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Bax: The Symphonies on Chandos with THE BBC Phil and Handley.

I really enjoyed the orchestral works volumes, but I just couldn't get into these symphonies.

supernaut likes this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yea, a missed opportunity.

Dave112 and Detroit Rock Citizen like this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Because it's not a disappointment in any way.[/QUOTE]
    except for A Hard Days Night...the highs went bye-bye...

Dave112 likes this.
  10. Linda Ronstadt-Lots of stuff from her relatively mediocre 90's albums while a lot of the classic 70's Peter Asher albums were dreadfully underrepresented eg my favourite Linda album,Hasten Down The Wind,was nearly completely ignored.
    Eagles-Lazy ,unimaginative track selection with lots of empty space on CDs and lots of great tracks omitted.
    Then there are those that sort of had the right intention but execution was poor.
    The Doors-much unreleased music but most of it was rubbish.
    Tom Petty Playback-The 4 discs of the 6 that had previously released album tracks on them had 25-30 minutes of unused space.I could easily find 4-5 tracks from each time period that belong there.
    The Clash Sound System-Nearly all the unreleased music should have stayed that way.A lot of the trinkets in the packaging were just junk.
    Midnight Oil Overflow-Not out yet and no track listing but the price is extortion for the amount of content.The $150 plastic water tank!
    Finally any box set that includes both CD's and vinyl in the same package.

supernaut, Galley, Mooserfan and 3 others like this.
  11. Unlistenable yet I listen to it all of the time.

12. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I agree, the packaging is terrible. The bootleg concerts also sound terrible.

13. ranasakawa

That box is actually one of my favourite box sets.

14. ranasakawa

Sadly I think they have lost the master tapes of the original extended versions, I'd love to hear the Hi Honey Hi extended version again. I remember 3EON FM used to play that version a lot.

15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Come Back Again is on the remaster of 'Daddy Who' and Hi Honey Ho is on one of those 'Greatest Aussie BBQ Songs' or something like that.

ranasakawa likes this.
  16. ranasakawa

I have 100s of box sets. I have been thinking which box set really was the worst for me. I decided to vote for Pink Floyd Immersion Wish You Were Here.
    For starters the discs were all scratched and damaged from the crap packaging.
    Then the clear marbles had to be the biggest insult, but that's not all, the BluRay had a serious mastering fault, had to be replaced, lastly the actual bonus material was not that great.
    It was a huge lemon. I eventually returned it for a refund. Huge disappointment.

17. ranasakawa

Thanks I'll check that out.

18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The 6 minute + version of Hi Honey Ho is, allegedly on
    "On the Prowl-Australian Pop of the 70's Vol 2" - Various (Sony)

ranasakawa likes this.
  19. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

CSN box set. Too much Crosby and Nash and not enough Stills and Young for my taste. Now, we know why Neil Young was limited on the box set but it seems like Stills sorta got the short shrift compared to Nash in particular IMO.

psubliminal, Tim 2 and ExHead like this.
  20. paulbright81

paulbright81 Forum Resident

Yeah this. Its just not on the same level as Dylan and The Beatles ones that are among my prized possessions. Not terrible but just not as good...

21. zippy

zippy Forum Resident

Nirvanas Deluxe editions are my my disapointing- Theres hardly any chance of other Proshot concerts ever being released and the deluxe editions gave us a chance to see some rare amateur footage from many of their shows but sadly no DVD's were included :(

22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

go to the corner lol

23. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

:) I have no interest in the stereo version, but the sessions tapes are absolutely fascinating to me.

chacha likes this.
  24. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I find them to be more inconsistent than outright detracting from the original sessions, and you always have the original album to listen to standalone if you want. The In A Silent Way, Jack Johnson, and On the Corner boxes have a lot of great individual tracks and moments I hadn't heard before, it's simply that listening to them straight through is maybe not the best strategy. I see the point of the comment of the BB Box, though. As for the best Bootleg Series Miles Davis box I'd have to go with Seven Steps to Heaven for the resequencing of the live My Funny Valentine and Four and More.

supernaut likes this.
  25. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

To each his own. :)
    I purchased the stereo mix and was more than satisfied.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.