Which CD Player has the best sound quality?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Greenalishi, May 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DEG

DEG Sparks ^^^

What a loaded question! Whatever model makes your ears smile!

Fishoutofwater and George P like this.
  2. I always thought that Denon players handled PCM and all its forms (CD, DVD-Audio) better than SACD's DSD. Maybe look into a used Marantz for an alternative in that ballpark.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  3. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

Quad 66 is the best-sounding player I've ever owned. Single crown TDA chip. I still beat myself up for letting that one go.....what on earth was I thinking!?!?

4. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

Any of the TOTL audiophile players from the high-end companies will satisfy.

I'm partial to the Hegel Mohican player. Great name too, as in Last of the Mohicans for a format at the end of it's run.

3 reviews here:

Hegel Music Systems Mohican CD player

Hegel Music Systems Mohican CD player

Hegel Mohican CD Player

5. George P

George P Notable Member

6. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

I was having a discussion with a "penpal" in Japan who was implying the same thing.... but then there are others who speak highly of the Denon SA1, SA11. You know how it is.

By Marantz - what do you like? F1Nut pointed me at a nice SA8005 Marantz, that seemed to be a good one. That is "in the ballpark" price-wise, and still readily available.

Also, my memory might be failing, but I seem to recall from threads I've read in the archives that you are a XA5400es owner? I checked your profile...

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Did they bring that one back? I thought it was discontinued.

8. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

The best sound I have ever heard from a CD player is from an Aesthetix Romulus. It is $15,0000 though. Then, after it, are the various Audio Note reasonably priced models I have have now at home and work. I have not heard any other CD player in the price range of over $10,000, though, not even from Audio Note.

Greenalishi likes this.
  9. TheVinylAddict

No, it's discontinued, just saying they are still not that hard to get your hands on.... for instance https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-PM-8...ocphy=9030088&hvtargid=pla-571550466657&psc=1
    it's not in the "Currently Unavailable" state.

Plus, in that Amazon ad, notice Safe and SOund has them - I've bought things from them in the past -- my point is they aren't that hard to get still, and you can get a break potentially since they've moved onto the next model.

EDIT: to support at Safe and Sound, you have a choice between new and refurb:
    Marantz PM8005 Integrated Amplifier Factory Refurbished ($799.99)
    Marantz PM8005 Integrated Amplifier ($899.00)

The 8005 is readily available new, where something like the SA1, SA11 are used only.

Greenalishi and George P like this.
  10. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

I have a Marantz SACD player and like it quite a bit. Still made in Japan too. I had a Denon and
    Rotel, and the Marantz is much better. (to me anyway)

Greenalishi likes this.
  11. TheVinylAddict

What model # Marantz and Denon did you own? When did you own the Denon, and were you able to compare side by side with the Marantz?

Greenalishi likes this.
  12. TheVinylAddict

Whoops, I somehow put info in on the PM8005 instead of the SA8005... sorry about that.

The SA8005 is harder to find new, but if can be found is close to the $1199 price tag retail.

Again, sorry all for the erroneous post

Greenalishi likes this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks for explaining. I thought I was completely confused and just assumed that the conversation switched to amplifiers.

Greenalishi likes this.
  14. TheVinylAddict

No, it was just me being a bonehead.

Greenalishi likes this.
  15. For the most part, the Marantz players I've heard had a nice, smooth sound for both CD and SACD. This was the Marantz player I was thinking of -

The Marantz SA-14S1 SACD Player

Yes, I love the XA-5400's sonic signature. If Sony was still making them, I'd suggest it.

warp2600 and Greenalishi like this.
  16. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

I like my old Naim cd3.5. But it's *far* from accurate. Which is why I keep it!!

My daily is a new Schiit Bifrost Multibit. LOVE IT.

On the Rega Saturn-R mentions, I've never cared for it nor the DAC-R. But it does do a silky analogy bottom end, so perhaps that's the draw.

Greenalishi likes this.
  17. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

I personally love the EAR Yoshino Acute CD player. I have had 2 in the series (Acute 3, and the Acute Classic). They have 2 tubes for output, so can really tailor the sound the way you like - warmer, leaner, hyper detailed, etc. But overall, the sound is very warm/analog sounding I have heard for a digital CD playback, but still has great transparency and dynamics of great digital. The EAR sounds more analog relative to other CD players I've heard, so they do sound different.

Greenalishi likes this.
  18. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Whilst I usually don't listen to CDs these days (just sheer cussedness and hopeless devotion to vinyl), my Rega Apollo continues to astonish. It is just stupidly good given its relatively humble price point.

I've owned so many great classic CD players in my time (Meridian MCD, Meridian 200 series transport/dac, Micromega transport/dac, Naim CDX etc) but my Rega is easily as good, if not better, than all of them...

Rukiki, Greenalishi and maglorine like this.
  19. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I didn't read through this whole thread, so these 2 may have been mentioned already, but as far as current model players that I've been impressed with lately --

Marantz SA-KI RUBY -- Marantz US | SA-KI Ruby

Bryston BCD-3 -- BCD-3 CD Player - Bryston

PhantomStranger and Greenalishi like this.
  20. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

Echoing Moomaloo here. I’ve had a variety of CD players and transports over the years from modest to quite good but my current iteration Rega Apollo is a terrific value and wonderfully enjoyable.

Greenalishi likes this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Any of those 1980s CD players still have any value, or are they all junk?

Greenalishi likes this.
  22. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

The Sony 55 and 77ES Players are very desirable for a multitudes of reasons.

Greenalishi and alexpop like this.
  23. alexpop

They came out in the 1980s?

Greenalishi likes this.
  24. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Greenalishi and alexpop like this.
  25. alexpop

Laser parts still available?

Greenalishi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.