Which Chicago album do you stop at?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 905, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

... and another...

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  2. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

No. 11 is not even a David Foster -era Chicago song.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  3. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Well, post Cetera then. Who produced that anyway? I obviously stopped paying attention after 17 haha

daveidmarx likes this.
  4. AudiophilePhil

Me too. That's actually a Dianne Warren song, the same songwriter for the group Heart.

5. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

... and now for something completely different...

Imagine it is 1971, you are mired in the jungles of the Vietnam war, bullets flying past your head, bombs exploding all around you and the smell of napalm in the scorched air; and Watergate hasn't even happened yet...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  6. pablo fanques

Yeah I knew about that. She ruined a FEW bands that decade. They got their coveted top ten hits, but a part of their soul was traded away in the process. Glad to see both bands still out there today and rightfully celebrating their roots. The 80's hits will always be included but the meat and potatoes get some love as well again and that's just terrific

daveidmarx and AudiophilePhil like this.
  7. AudiophilePhil

To me, the real Chicago ceased to exist after 1977.

pablo fanques likes this.
  8. videoman

videoman Senior Member

i didn't know that they ever didn't play the full Ballet.

Nice to see some old classics in that set list. Almost makes me want to go see them. Street Player is an interesting choice.

9. videoman

videoman Senior Member

More than just "coveted top 10 hits"---they actually got to sell enough records to maintain a record contract and have a career. So on one hand she ruined a few bands and on the other she helped save them.

In either case, I think she only wrote one song for both Chicago and Heart? She wasn't "their" songwriter.

Comet01 likes this.
  10. pablo fanques

You may be right on the 'Ballet' but I know 'Street Player' was brought back due to a prominent sample in a Pitbull hit a few years back. Whatever it takes, I guess. BTW my loathing for the 80's hits has nothing to do with them being ballads or even 'typical' 80's production like synths and gated drums. Its the near ABSENCE of the signature horns on most of them. I know the band coveted the top ten hits but how do you sacrifice THAT if you're Chicago? Never made a lick of sense to me

daveidmarx likes this.
  11. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Yup.
    Diane Warren wrote dozens of songs that became hits. I'm not sure why she would be considered Heart's songwriter.

12. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I always thought many of those 80s ballads could and should have been arranged in a more "Chicago" style as well. Blame that on the producer though, not the songwriter. (Gee, now I sound like I'm defending Diane Warren! Lol).

But hey. The song went to #1, so what do I know. But I don't really blame them for playing a #1 single in concert. Even if they didn't write it and the lead singer is no longer with the band.

Although I don't believe that Heart ever does play THEIR Warren-penned hit in concert anymore.

pablo fanques likes this.
  13. Frawls

Frawls Forum Resident

Everything after the 1st couple albums are a mixed bag, in my opinion. The last one I enjoy is Chicago VII. Some of the deep cuts are great (Happy Man, Byblos, Woman Don't Want To Love Me).

SteelyNJ likes this.
  14. Soundsweep

Soundsweep Member

I recorded the whole Carnegie Hall quadruple lp then cleaned it up a bit, converted to .mp3 format, then stored it in my player. I have listened to it from start to finish twice already. It is a huge and satisfying listen I believe. Kind of a private pleasure, not something your mates may necessarily wish to share with you.

gregorya likes this.
  15. Soundsweep

Soundsweep Member

I looked at buying the Cd version but $84 on Amazon is a bit steep right now.

16. pablo fanques

WANT!

daveidmarx likes this.
  17. pablo fanques

Wouldn't find it surprising at all now but as a vinyl issue in 1975 it's a complete SHOCK. Wow

daveidmarx likes this.
  18. patel kismet

patel kismet Forum Resident

I began my Chicago's collection in the mid 70's with"VIII" . I have all on cd now, except the live & compilations. I stopped at "Twenty 1". My dream is to see Cetera & Champlin (+ Seraphine of course) comin' back together in the band but it must be too late now.

19. pablo fanques

Listening to as much Chicago as I have been lately, I picked up on a cool trend with most of their 70's singles beginning with 'Dialogue' - The Coda. Where 'Dialogue' is obvious due to the split parts, Chicago basically does the same thing with 'Feeling Stronger Every Day', 'Just You and Me', "Searchin' So Long', 'Old Days', 'No Tell Lover' and others. Often times the coda is the best part of the song and the listener is rewarded for sticking around. "Hard For Me To Say I'm Sorry' does it too with 'Get Away' but those have always felt more like two distinct songs strung together to me. This may be an obvious point to many of you but having gotten back into Chicago recently due to the Steven Wilson Remix of Chicago II, it's been a cool revelation for me

daveidmarx and OptimisticGoat like this.
  20. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

It was hard to listen to any of the songs on the CD.

21. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I purchased, at their time of release, Chicago I, II and Live at Carnegie Hall.

22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

"Beginnings" too. come to think of it.

23. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

Brian Wilson, when creating his mid-1960s masterpieces for The Beach Boys (like God Only Knows, Good Vibrations, Wouldn't It Be Nice) recorded the studio musicians first, separately. The lead guitar solo in I Get Around (No. 1 in 1964) was added to the final mix.
    After the Beach Boys returned from touring, they would record their vocals (again, separately). All of the recordings of the music and vocals would be mixed together, with many vocals double-tracked.

EdgardV likes this.
  24. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

Yes, Call on Me along with (I've Been) Searchin' for so Long are great. Can't understand the dislike for the latter.

25. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

It's hard to name ANY group from the 1960s (early, mid- or late) that were big in the late 70s and early 80s.
    The Moody Blues come to mind, but they didn't last (in terms of hits) much past the mid-80s.
    Starship, or Jefferson Starship (1970s) or Jefferson Airplane (1960s) still had hits, but was mostly a different lineup. Talk about smalzy '80s pop hits !!

The Beach Boys still released LPs, but they were sporadic and like Chicago at the time, not terrible appealing (the loss of Brian Wilson's songwriting/ producing hurt). The Beach Boys had small hits from 1977-1987 with Kokomo (surprisingly) hitting No. 1 in 1988.
    The Guess Who, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Mamas and Papas, Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons, The Hollies, Motown's 1960s groups, none of them were producing hits anymore.
    Most groups break-up after 5-6 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.