Which David Bowie album got you into him?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Exitmusic, Nov 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Inspired by the Rolling Stones thread of a similar nature what was the Bowie album that was the gateway?

My first Bowie album was Low of all things after reading an article on Q about the making of it.
    It was soon followed by Hunky Dory (because I knew and liked Changes and Life On Mars?)
    Then it was Station To Station and then I was off to the races,constantly getting as much Bowie albums in the HMV 2 for £10 sale until I owned all the albums from The Man Who Sold the World to Let's Dance as well as adding Outside,Earthling,Tin Machine,Heathen,Reality and Black Tie White Noise over time too.

So what's the album and story that got you into the Thin White Duke?

2. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks

Ziggy Stardust, mate! The best offer that glam rock could ever make.

3. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Low did it for me too. When I discovered Joy Division and became obsessed with them, I read that they picked their original name, Warsaw, as a tribute to a track from Low. So I grabbed a used copy of Low from a cheap bin and dug in. Got Station to Station soon after that, and then I was off. That era of Bowie is still my favorite

4. The Dark Elf

The Dark Elf Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Diamond Dogs, freshman year of high school, 1974.

5. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

The Rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars.

Moonage Daydream, to be quite precise.

A real sonic masterpiece.

6. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I heard some of Bowie's songs as a kid, but I didn't buy a Bowie LP until the late 1980s. First up was ChangesOneBowie cause I loved Space Oddity so much, followed by Ziggy.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Let’s Dance in 1983.

Lord knows how I’d managed to avoid his albums before that, but I had. I liked the Let’s Dance and China Girl singles so thought I’d take a chance on the LP. It only had 8 songs so there wasn’t much to dislike.:D After this I picked up Tonight and Never Let Me Down. It was a good decade later when I decided to finally check out his 70s stuff. That was a nice period in my life.:)

Incidentally, a lad at work who was a big Bowie fan told me not to bother with Let’s Dance as it was ‘crap’. He told me to try Hunky Dory instead. While I agree the latter is the better album, I’m happy I started where I did.

8. pauluz

pauluz Forum Resident

Oddly enough.

The story goes back to 1985 when I attended my first record fair aged 15. I set my budget at £5 and after drooling over a copy of the Philips album on the display wall at £50, I went for this one as I liked the cover and it was exactly £5. My next Bowie album was Ziggy live. The rest is history.

[​IMG]

aravel likes this.
  9. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Sorry, never got into David Bowie-Bowie. ;) I do like some of the earlier songs like Space Oddity and Rebel Rebel.

hi_watt likes this.
  10. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Changesonebowie

It seemed everyone had a copy of it back in 1976/77. It was a mainstay at parties and a really great introduction to his music for many late 70s teenagers.

11. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ha nice catch! I've changed it now

Chemically altered likes this.
  12. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

A song: "The man who sold the world"

13. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

Ziggy Stardust for me.
    A friend put the album on at his house one night and advised us that this guy was going to be huge.
    He wasn't wrong. I bought the 8 track and played it non stop while travelling with friends from Toronto to Calgary.
    Still love it and play it start to finish when it goes on.

14. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

Definitely Space Oddity but mostly for the single. The album didn't do as much for me. Seeing "The Jean Genie" video circa 1974 melted my mind. But Hunky Dory was next (for me) and it is the album that got me - especially 'Queen Bitch"

longdist01, hi_watt and Chrome_Head like this.
  15. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Low

All those really cool sonic textures. It's one of those albums that floored me and got me deeper into more experimental rock music in general.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  16. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

But the first album I bought was "Station to station" (it was the only one they had in the shop) . I loved every second of it

DK Pete, Mike McMann and Man at C&A like this.
  17. bill44

bill44 Forum Resident

Same here, same year, same grade...followed quickly by those which had already been released, Hunky, Ziggy, Man, and Aladdin.

Michael D and The Dark Elf like this.
  18. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

bought a used copy of "hunky dory" on vinyl in '94 when I was 20. that did it.

DK Pete likes this.
  19. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

nobody around me had Bowie albums in the 70s

apart from top 40 play he wasn't a thing

i would guess Changesonebowie broke the ice for him, the kind of effect that Bob Marley's Legend had for those who just wanted the hits

hi_watt likes this.
  20. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

My mom had ChangesOneBowie and Diamond Dogs so it was those...I discovered the rest on my own.

21. aravel

aravel starchitect...then, father!

:: My brother had 2LP set 'Live At The Tower Philadelphia' and he recorded a sony tape for my walkman, but later I wanted to listen studio versions, 'ChangesBowie' Ryko 1990 was a great start.

DK Pete likes this.
  22. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

23. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Zig was the first one, when it came out. Then Man Who when that got the RCA release. Strangely, I did not purchase another album until Heroes appeared, just a few singles.

DK Pete likes this.
  24. robbieplatter

robbieplatter Forum Resident

For me it was "Heathen". It was the first Bowie album I listened to - there was a preview copy in the listening station at a record store I used to go to all the time. I liked it so much, I asked the person working that day let me take it out for a few hours so I could listen on my discman while walking around the city.

"Hours..." came out when I was in college, and one of my friends played the CD while we were hanging out once, but it didn't make much of an impression.

In some sense, "Labyrinth" got me into David Bowie as a kid, but I didn't really experience him as a recording artist until I was in my 20s, even though I knew all those songs by heart and watched the movie 100 times.

25. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I'm not quite sure. My sisters are a bit older than me and they bought the records. I think it was probably Ziggy Stardust (about the time it came out), though I think at the time I liked Hunky Dory more even though I think they bought it a tiny bit later. And then Aladdin Sane blew my mind not long after. I'd been weaned on The Doors and Alice Cooper so it seemed a natural progression.

Crimson Witch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.