Which David Bowie album got you into him?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Exitmusic, Nov 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

The 2010 Station To Station box with that unbelievable Nassau show from ‘76. Never looked back.

JeffMo likes this.
  2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It wasn't an album. I hooked up with Bowie largely through the single release of Life on Mars, which my sister purchased and I overheard. This was the original single release, so early 70's. From there I grew into his works, I think Ziggy was the first album I bought.

Weird to think that since Ziggy, I was alive and around for every single release as they happened. It was quite a ride with Bowie as he moved from Glam to White Soul, to R&B, etc. He and I fell out only once - I loved the Let's Dance single, but didn't like the album. So I ignored Tonight when it happened (I've come to really enjoy the album these days), and Outside was also a problem (great songs, but all the story bits sounded forced and silly - it might have turned out a whole lot better if they had gone with their instincts and made it at least a double album, letting the thing breath.) But mostly I went alone for the ride and had a great time. The most exciting first time play for me was Lodger. Coming off Low and Heroes, I was ready for anything he wanted to lay out. I've loved every minute of that since, such a great record (not a huge fan of the remix, though).

Still a bummer to know we'll never get any more new Bowie. I received an email from the Bowie web site today pushing cups, fridge magnets, and T-Shirts, and it all felt really cheap and nasty. But I guess he's the new cult hero.

RIP Mr. Jones.

Man at C&A, JeffMo and fishyboots like this.
  3. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I bought Ziggy Stardust around 1972-73. I became obsessed with that album.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  4. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

I was always aware of Bowie. I have vague memories from when I was a kid hearing Space Oddity in the late-90s and liking it a lot. I probably didn't really start to get into Bowie seriously until after his death in 2016 when I got the 2 disc version of Legacy. I think Bowie is the artist I have gotten the most on CD this year since this year is the year I got the bulk of the catalogue on CD (still need 3 more studio albums though)

JeffMo likes this.
  5. duggan

duggan Senior Member

It is a fabulous album - I prefer it over Ziggy and prefer The Slider over Electric Warrior.

healter skealter likes this.
  6. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

I was seven/eight years old in 1973 and was crazy about pop music and especially Glam Rock when I first became hooked on Bowie.
    First single I bought was "Life On Mars" followed closely by "The Laughing Gnome" and "Sorrow". The same year I picked up "The World Of David Bowie" with the Ziggy cover from my local Woolworths and fell in love with all those childish pop songs - to this day that album (along with the 1967 debut) has been played more often than a lot of the classics lol! I also got "Pin-Ups" for Christmas 1973 from one of my aunties. Around the same time an older brother of one of my friends loaned me all the albums pre-"Pin-Ups" and I bought almost everything Bowie released from then on the week of release - right up to "Blackstar" and beyond.
    Still waiting for "Metrobolist" from Banquet Records - so hope I get a gold one!

Duncan Day likes this.
  7. fishyboots

fishyboots Forum Resident

The Man Who Sold The World aka METROBOLIST

8. parman

parman Music Junkie

The single Major Tom

9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

My first Bowie album was Let's Dance, with the huge hits on the radio all the time.

10. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Was that the first album that you got into, or just the single?

parman likes this.
  11. Young Americans was the first album of his that I bought. I liked it as a kid but I came to love it years later. I then bought Ziggy, Aladdin Sane, and The Man Who Sold The World after that. Let's Dance was the album that got me excited about his music. Maybe it's because it wasn't a depressing album....Bowie was capable of making music that people wanted to move to.

12. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Believe it or not.....Images. Back in '71 I was in 10th grade but knew a senior who was totally into alternative sounds and Bowie of course. I remember him playing me the first few RCA lp's which I liked (particularly Man Who Sold The World) but I'll always remember when I first heard Side 4 of Images in summer '72. Let Me Sleep Beside You totally blew me away. I bought that double album over that weekend. That track still remains my #1 all time Bowie favorite.

fishyboots likes this.
  13. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Pin Ups. My dad had it on 8-track in the car and I loved it, including the picture on the front! From then I only really knew about the stuff he did on TV etc until Scary Monsters, and from there I wanted to know all about him.

14. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Let's Dance. I was 15? Saw him at Hartford Civic Center on Serious Moonlight tour. But honestly it was MTV, seeing the videos from Scary Monsters and Lodger (amazing to think they played that stuff). But soon upon getting Let's Dance, I bought Ziggy then all the 70s records very quickly.

15. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

The first one I heard at 13
    Diamond Dogs when it came out
    One of the most dynamic artists of all time

Sight sound and high art

Moving in immeasureable ways

Quantium leap

16. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I'd call myself a mild fan but Hunky Dory is a great listen. And Aladdin Sane is a great rock n roll record. I don't get all the fuss about the Berlin albums. They don't do it for me.

17. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I loved the singles (and videos) for Let’s Dance and read some articles about him that talked about how influential the Ziggy Stardust album had been. I’d never heard of it, but I thought it sounded like it must be amazing. And it was. I spent my third and fourth grade years obsessed with Ziggy Stardust.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  18. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Ziggy

19. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

Ziggy

20. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Started with Space Oddity. Great album with Cygnet Committee being one of my favorite Bowie songs. Then Ziggy and Aladdin made me a big fan.

21. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

Bingo. You can add "Five Years" and "Soul Love" too.

The first one I bought when new was probably Pin-Ups, though. I loved it then and am still very fond of it. Bowie introduced me to a few classics I'd never heard before.

22. Driver8

Driver8 Forum Resident

David Bowie - The Singles Collection (2cd) set

I still enjoy that collection

23. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

Bowie* - The Singles 1969-1993

My mom would blast this during the day while she did housework while my sister and I were young. I was a bit creeped out at first but I slowly came around to it. Listening to this set I was hooked. I would steal this set and go into my room and listen to it on headphones instead of doing homework sometimes lol. Even at a very early age I was drawn to Lodger and Earthling mainly because I got obsessed with this 2CD collection. When the 2002 Best of Bowie collections came out I was initially disappointed that none of the iterations had everything on this set.

JeffMo likes this.
  24. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Aladdin Sane.
    Heard Jean Genie on the radio and that's all it took.

duggan likes this.
  25. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

Amen to TM. My parents had ChangesOneBowie, and I loved it...but it was their Bowie. MTV and movies made me love the ‘80s Bowie...but he was our Bowie, like our Phil Collins or our Tom Cruise.

But no one I knew listened to or liked Tin Machine, so I finally had my Bowie. And once I had my Bowie, I went forward and backward from 1989 and loved it all, every Bowie one could imagine. (Yes, even Tonight, which I won on LP from a local radio station.)

BluesOvertookMe and Zongadude like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.