Which did more harm to Peter Frampton's career, I'm In You or the Sgt. Pepper movie?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Say It Right, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired Thread Starter

Spillover from side discussion in other thread. Was curious to find out what more people think.

I'm In You came first. Definitely made to play up the teen idol image. Likely had some residual success fro Frampton Comes Alive with new audience, but alienated millions more.

The Sgt. Pepper movie did the practically irreplaceable harm. Nobody else, associated with suffered anywhere near the backlash. The Bee Gees had nowhere else to go but down after "Saturday Night Fever," and still had hits left. Steve Martin did just fine, even if he'd rather forget. Aerosmith actually did a respectable turn on "Come Together." Meanwhile, Frampton became practically persona non grata with endless comeback attempts through the 80's.

Both definitely did significant damage, on which we can probably all agree. Personal opinion is that the movie caused the hole that was too deep for him to dig himself out.

2. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Gotta be I'm In You — if only because I don't know anyone who actually saw the Sgt. Pepper movie! (I was 19 or 20 when it came out.) And as you probably know, the soundtrack album hit the cutout bins in record time.

3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I don't think I've ever known anyone who saw that movie either.

unclefred, audiotom and The Gomper like this.
  4. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

One-two punch.

Strong left jab followed by an overhand right!

5. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Saw the movie as a tween certainly no big deal. Change of the times likely did it - birth of new wave.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  6. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I think the movie did more damage in the end. In all honesty, I think he could have overcome one disappointing album if he had followed it up with something strong, and not had that albatross of the Sgt. Pepper film around his neck. But once the movie came out, there was no turning back.

People will point out that the film didn't really do much damage to The Bee Gees, who still had hits afterwards. I suppose that they didn't have any kind of rock street cred, and their fan base would almost have expected them to star in such a movie.

7. Say It Right

Not disagreeing. A little younger here, and confess to having seen it. Was around 10 or 11. Recollection was that association with the Bee Gees was harmful.

Just felt that an artist can recover from an album setback and image issue. Obviously, this is more true today with PR.

joy stinson, majorlance and ODIrony like this.
  8. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

I vote stupid movie ... :cool:

J_D__, LoveYourLife and Guy Smiley like this.
  9. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

Big dilemma rwally. But Peter as well had not much left musically in him anyway IMHO.

VinylSoul, sotosound, Lonecat and 2 others like this.
  10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The only good thing about that ridiculous project. Excellent cover.

11. FredV

FredV Senior Member

The movie is a guilty pleasure for me, but have to agree it didn’t help Frampton’s career.

12. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident

I saw the movie upon its release. I believe that the movie, combined with being associated with The Bee Gees destroyed any standing he had with rock fans at the time.

D.B., powerq, audiotom and 9 others like this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I’m In You, though successful, didn’t do him any favours. I don’t recall anyone clamouring for a new album after that. The Farrah Fawcett style cover was nice though.:D

I don’t think Sgt Pepper hurt him. It came and went in a flash and I don’t know anyone who saw it. It certainly didn’t harm the Bee Gees who had hits before, during and after it.

14. Say It Right

Yes!

15. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Your right, didn't even know there was a movie.

16. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

17. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Looking through a vinyl bin with my wife last week I came across bare chested, satin draped Peter Frampton staring at me with the caption "I'm in you" and I said "oh no you don't, get out of me. At least buy me dinner first."

18. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Bingo. Disco still sucks.

19. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

She gave him the love, the love that he'd never had.

20. Say It Right

He still made albums after both of these fiascos: Where I Should Be, Breaking All the Rulesz etc. The long road to recovery didn't begin until he displayed some decent chops on Bowie's Glass Spider Tour.

longdist01 and Tingman like this.
  21. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I'm In You :thumbsdow

vonwegen likes this.
  22. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

He has a net worth of 30M - I think he did OK. Very transitional time for sure.

23. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

I have to say “ I’m In You” because when it was released I remember that the cover photo of the album was an immediate avenue of attack as trying to capitalize on his sex symbol status thus changing the focus away from the musical achievements he had achieved from “Frampton Comes Alive”

24. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Being a teen back in the 70’s I can assure you the I’m In You album killed him. At least in my circle of friends. All credibility was gone.

25. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

Both hurt but "I'm In You" did the most damage.

Dumb song, dumb album cover - silk pajamas, like Billy Squier seven years later.