Which did more harm to Peter Frampton's career, I'm In You or the Sgt. Pepper movie?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Say It Right, Dec 9, 2019.

1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I don't disagree at all, but others in this thread don't seem to realize that he still had his new music on the radio and drew in big crowds through 1979.

Terrapin Station's post sheds more light on what was really going on from 78-79.

2. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired Thread Starter

It was lights out on superstardom. Frampton had the golden ticket after FCA. One of the articles explained that Zeppelin had a subpar '76 tour, and Frampton was ready to inherit guitar god status. Granted, this was one person's recollection, but a star, who appealed to both the cheerleaders and the metal shop boys was a unique cross-section.

This whole career would make an excellent case study. He repeated himself three times. He was teen idol with The Herd and then with the dealings of Dee Anthony. He was a respected guitarist in Humble Pie and then again as veteran rocker over the last 10 - 15. He gained a following from constant touring during the beginning of his solo career, and then through the last phases.

Hard to find anybody else, who's had a ride like this one.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Bluesman Mark likes this.
  3. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Lol, I dont know whether to be impressed or completely appalled you remembered that!

"She's got a spot of malaria...." Just horrendous. But this is where Frampton's head was at during the time.

Fullbug, KeninDC and jwoverho like this.
  4. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

They didn't tour in 1976. Plant had a broken ankle so they were idle until 1977. The 1977 tour was problematic in a lot of ways, but it certainly sold well.

Fullbug likes this.
  5. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I’m not disagreeing with you, just adding a little bit to your thesis. It wasn’t just the follow up album and the movie. That’s all I’m saying.

6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I really dont buy into the narrative that "respected lead guitarist with rock credibility" is a better career path than "one of the biggest pop stars in the world".

What level of success has Jimmy Page had post Zep?
    Frampton sells way more concert tix than Jeff Beck.
    Clapton made himself a lasting career as a pop star with singles that did not feature a whole lot of ripping guitar.

Ok Garcia had a huge lasting career based primarily on guitar chops, but that's about it as far as I can recall.

Cachiva likes this.
  7. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Well if it is only a spot of malaria.
    I thought Black Sheep was set in the south pacific, during WW2.

Efus likes this.
  8. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

According to Wikipedia:
    "When asked about the film in a 1979 interview, George Harrison expressed his sympathy for Stigwood, Frampton and the Bee Gees, acknowledging that they had all worked hard to achieve success before making Sgt. Pepper. He said of Frampton and the Bee Gees: 'I think it's damaged their images, their careers, and they didn't need to do that. It's just like the Beatles trying to do the Rolling Stones. The Rolling Stones can do it better.'"

bekayne, Zack and Bluesman Mark like this.
  9. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I wouldn't feel sorry for Stigwood. It was his deal. (esp. if you believe the Bee Gees when they say they begged to get out of it.)

10. Efus

Efus Senior Member

It was.
    It ran for 2 years, Sept '76 to April 6, 1978.
    In fact, the Frampton episode was the last one shown before it got cancelled.

Apparently, a pilot bails out over an island, Frampton plays a British army officer, and thats his native aide and his sick daughter.
    (And I had to look all that up, though I do remember the series.)

For reference, the Sgt Peppers movie was released in July of '78.

11. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

I think it was being overexposed, appearing on The Mike Douglas Show.

12. Say It Right

Does anybody believe that they begged to get out of it? :laugh:

13. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Totally agree.

I'm In You sunk Frampton like a torpedoed ship. The Sgt. Pepper movie was the wreckage sinking to the bottom.

Bluesman Mark, Say It Right and Efus like this.
  14. Zack

Zack Senior Member

I wonder what if anything specific George might be referring to there.

15. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Im looking at some numbers.
    5 weeks after release, IIY, peaked at #2 on the charts.
    15 weeks after release, it was #37.
    So the fall of '77, after headlining stadiums during the summer, that album isnt selling.

What may have saved the Bee Gees from signifigant damage from the Sgt Peppers debacle was that SNF movie had just been released in December 1977.
    So the country, at least the mainstream, was still in the grip of disco fever, and that helped the Bee Gees overcome that.

Frampton's issue was worse.
    He purposely went after the teen idol market, missed, made a bad movie (and he canned his manager Dee Anthony after the movie bomb), and suddenly Shaun Cassidy and Andy Gibb were the teen idols of the year with records high on the charts.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Bluesman Mark and Say It Right like this.
  16. Say It Right

Everything that happened is enough material for a damn good book!

17. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

His autobiography would be killer. He was so broke in Hollywood. He'd come on Rockline with that always "a great album" Bob Coburn homer and rave about his new release which would tank.

Say It Right likes this.
  18. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

The Bee Gees also had a solid follow up album after SNF, Spirits Having Flown which also spawned a couple of hit singles.

Efus and Bluesman Mark like this.
  19. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Three #1s to be exact. And nary a disco tune in the bunch, although Tragedy is often mistaken for one.

20. Say It Right

That being the case, the Bee Gees had their mega blockbuster in SNF, and had plenty of chart chart strength on the follow up. If Frampton had half of that follow up action, he'd have been poised for more sustained success.

Efus and Bluesman Mark like this.
  21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

You don't like Earth, Wind and Fire's cover?

22. Lorin

Lorin Senior Member

I remember the out-of-the-blue success of "Comes Alive" and thinking WTF...it's OK but why is it selling like it is?

Then Sgt. Peeper oozed into theaters and I thought WTF...how is this a good idea.

Then I heard the title track from "I'm In You" and just thought WTF...

Had to be one of the weirdest periods of any artist...

23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

It's good, I had forgotten about it, but this thread brought it back to my memory.

24. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Pales compared to the original. I hated it then as now.

25. Say It Right

Cut him some slack. It wasn't easy trying to recall all exact details from 41 years ago.

Rne likes this.