Which frontman was the best at interacting with the audience between songs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rufus rag, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits and Abbie: Best Dogs Ever

I've tried to remember memorable comments Mick made at any of my 50+ shows... and came up short.

Due to a mix of luck and strategy, I had front row center seats for my very 1st Stones show in 1989. It was a chilly night for late September, and I saw Mick say to... ? off-mic "it's cold".

Not a funny comment, but it stayed with me because I was so excited to be close enough to read Mick's lips! :D

In Philly circa 2002, I was close to the B stage, and when Mick came down there, a very attractive woman in front of me flashed him. I'll never forget the look of stunned awe on his face when he saw her boobs. Not a comment, but at least it was memorable! :)

In terms of actual comments, I loved his pre-written spiel about "Wawas" in Philly this year, but that was more because it was so dopey. People who go to Wawa know it's not called "Wawas"! :laugh:

KeninDC, Fullbug and Zack like this.
  2. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

Jesse Malin usually spins a good yarn between tunes

vamborules likes this.
  3. Zack

Zack Forum Resident

Were you there for the "health care for the elderly" joke about Bill at RFK in 1994?

And about the boob flashing. A more pertinent question is did you see them?

4. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Forum Resident

Johnny Thunders...

AZRunner and ralphb like this.
  5. detroit muscle

detroit muscle Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Alex Harvey - he was sensational

6. Oatsdad

Yes - I was at both RFK shows (and another 5 that year).

Don't recall that comment, but I admit my memory for specifics like that tends to be terrible. I go to so many shows that it's tough for specifics to stick!

Unfortunately, no. She was in front of me and the angle wasn't conducive! :cry:

Across my 1000+ shows, I think the only time I've actually seen flashing from "the correct angle" was when Foo Fighters played VA in 2003. I wasn't as close as I was at the Stones show, but I got a good look!

She was very attractive, but Dave made some snarky comments - an attempt to squelch more flashing, I think.

I wasn't too happy, but hey, the guy's mom was at the show! I think she was like 5 seats away from me!

She didn't flash! :D

Zack and Fullbug like this.
  7. hammer99

hammer99 Forum Resident

Mick Jagger pre-1989.

8. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Forum Resident

Nial from Sultans Of Ping FC

9. Macman

Macman Forum Resident

Jeff Tweedy is quite funny.

Leonard Cohen was charming.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  10. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

Agree to the point that I wish his VH1 Storytellers was several hrs longer :D

Rooster_Ties and Oatsdad like this.
  11. Oatsdad

I remember a 1997 show in DC where he mentioned he always gets a "Mr. Anger" at his shows - some guy who feels the need to give him the finger through the show for no apparent reason.

Much funnier as he told it. I was always tempted to flick off Bowie after that but was afraid he'd think I meant it for real and not just referencing "Mr. Anger"! :D

12. boe

boe Forum Resident

Jazz guitarist Russell Malone is great at this. He could do a straight-up comedy act. The late great sax player Eddie Harris actually put out an album on Atlantic “The Reason Why I’m Talking S—t” that was 47 minutes of live recorded X-rated comedy /banter in the Redd Foxx vein.

Hamhead likes this.
  13. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Hands down for me, Ian Hunter.

14. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Tom Verlaine.
    :laugh:

Patti Smith always had good rapport with the audience.

15. donl

donl Well-Known Member

Richard Thompson, Ray Davies

16. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Ozzy. Not close.

I mean ‘70s Ozzy, btw.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  17. Adam9

Adam9 Senior Member

A few years ago, I saw a double bill consisting of Herman's Hermits and Paul Revere and the Raiders.
    Peter Noone was hilarious with great self-deprecating quips and a spot-on spoof of Mick Jagger's strut while the band kicked into a few bars of "Jumping Jack Flash". He took some good-natured jabs at the late great Paul Revere too who himself was no slouch with very entertaining between-song banter.
    Of course, hard to beat Springsteen in this category - the ultimate concert experience.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Rufus rag likes this.
  18. TonyG

TonyG Forum Resident

Dave Alvin - Great storyteller, great sense of humor, doesn't take himself too seriously.
    Richard Thompson - So good, I wish he did more.
    John Prine - Is he considered a front man, when his band is a just a bassist and guitarist? He may be the greatest of them all, and I've got close to 45+ years of going to see him to back me up on that.

19. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Forum Resident

Not front men, but great at banter -
    Pete Townshend, especially when he and Keith went at it.
    Jon Povey of the Pretty Things
    Front men and women -
    John Kay of Steppenwolf
    Richard Thompson
    All four of The Four Bitchin' Babes
    Annie Haslam of Renaissance
    Terre and Suzzy Roche

Les26 likes this.
  20. Platterpus

Platterpus Forum Resident

Freddie Mercury

Complier and William Mortimore like this.
  21. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I haven't seen every front man perform but when I went to a Humble Pie concert in 71 Steve Marriott interacted with the audience the whole concert. Between songs, during songs, you name it. Jagger is great too. CSN&Y have four front men and the time I saw them they were fairly chatty.

munjeet, tages and Evethingandnothing like this.
  22. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Yeah, Marriott was the best I've seen. Very inclusive and unpretentious, and darn funny too.

23. Oatsdad

Garbage's Shirley Manson is always entertaining when she chats with the crowd.

She tends to be pretty unfiltered - definitely no canned stories ala McCartney!

24. sleepjar

sleepjar Forum Resident

Leo Kottke - not a frontman, but great stories between his solo guitar pieces.

Dok, Fender Relic, Jazzmonkie and 4 others like this.
  25. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Jim Morrison - he was hilarious and thought-provoking

2trackmind and mr. steak like this.