Which gigs would you travel back in time for ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeMusic, Jul 27, 2020.

1. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Allman Brothers Fillmore shows.
    the final Allman Brothers show

2. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

VU - plastic exploding inevitable shows
    VU - matrix 69 - san fransisco all shows
    VU - max's kansas city - night of the recording

band of gypsys - NYE fillmore east
    grateful dead - fillmore 69
    the who - live at leeds

the jam - rainbow 1979

i'd like to go back and see a show up close, that i was sitting in the back of the club for .... and that was for PINBACK at the Horseshoe here in toronto ... some time in the 90's i believe lol they sounded so good ... even at the back of the club!

SG47 and razerx like this.
  3. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Oasis
    Maine Road
    "Den Bosch"
    (Den Banbrathallan, Bosh, Holland)/Be Here Now Tour
    Gurtenfestival Gurten, Bern, Switzerland / Heathen Chemistry Tour

INXS
    Wembley Stadium

Audioslave
    Live In Cuba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHBzO71HNGM - Oasis, Be Here Now, Den Bosch
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKxB2RXEiis - Oasis, Better Man, Gurtenfestival

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2fl3ek2v5s&list=PLX4rW_BIe9FAIcmtAWlNszcxbkCPIyjoJ&index=18 - INXS New Sensation, Wembley
    Probably only a matter of time before Eagle Rock Entertainment takes this one down, too, due to copyright. Seems this has recently occurred; I'm guessing b/c this concert is now available on CD, as well as DVD; prior the Live Baby Live CD was a comp. of tracks from various live shows; not Wembley as is the DVD. One of my prized bootlegs has been the Wembley show on Kiss The Stone label's Somethin' Xtra CD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYg7gLDi_3k&list=PLTweeRwzkpTUPZFBe8fn5f-0RtVFG161y&index=1 - Audioslave, Like A Stone, Cuba

P.S. Anyone know how I can change my settings so uploads will appear in text rather than code (so I don't have to type in titles) please PM me. Thanks! :tiphat:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  4. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

I Got Timed Out...adding:

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
    I don't have any bootlegs to be more familiar, but will choose a gig from Into The Great Wide Open tour:
    San Diego, November 12, 1991, b/c I just think that'd be a good period & anything to revisit San Diego, again, too! :cool:

5. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

John Coltrane Quartet at the Village Vanguard, 1961

6. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

Good question. Off the top of my head, I'd really like to go to that Queen gig at Milton Keynes. I love watching the opening bit in particular. Its hairs standing up worthy.

7. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

King Crimson. Fall 1971. Any show.

8. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

King Crimson, any gig 1969.

9. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Any R.E.M. date during the Murmur tour but especially

9 July 1983 - Larry's Hideaway, Toronto, Canada or

13 July 1983 - The Paradise, Boston, MA

as I have heard both of those on boot and both shows are incredible.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  10. Spastica

Spastica Run aground on the floor for you....

Guns N Roses - Live at the Ritz 87 and 88

11. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I wish I could’ve seen Floyd at UFO prior to spring ‘67.

FredHubbard likes this.
  12. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Hands down the The Cure's 2000 Dream Tour stop in Salt Lake City. Epic & intensely dark setlist and I hear it was the highlight of the tour.

13. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

Beatles at the Cavern Club.

Michael likes this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

any Hank Williams performance...

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'd love that as well!

16. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Big Star at the music writer convention thing.

Any show Danny Whitten was playing at.

17. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Face - always wonderful
    Marquee my favourite. Well before Rod became the centre of attention

18. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I am going to rule out any stadium and arena shows. I would love to see Springsteen at the Stone Pony, Talking Heads and the Ramones at CBGB.

19. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

I would have liked to have been in the crowd when Elton debuted at the Troubador.
    Sinatra at The Sands
    Stones in '73
    Allman Brothers with Duane

RunningWithScissors likes this.
  20. RunningWithScissors

RunningWithScissors Forum Resident

Hendrix at Monterey Pop
    Zeppelin at MSG, June 1977
    Any Stones show from the 72 or 75 tours
    Allmans during the recording of Fillmore East
    The Beatles last show
    Any Turnpike Troubadours show since it appears that they've packed it in
    Thin Lizzy during the Jailbreak tour

Just the tip of the iceberg...

21. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

And the shows I was going to see this year, already passed

Doobie Brothers
    Avett Brothers
    Black Keys

22. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Will there be a mosh pit?

23. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Beatles in their last performance at the Cavern Club, August 3rd, 1963. Only performance ever of When I’m 64.

24. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Gosh, I'd love to revisit some of the shows I worked and people I worked with and take some photos. Hardly anybody carried cameras with them back in the 70s.

There were so many amazing moments that these days exist only in my mind. Interestingly enough, I got a phone call from my old boss last week and we talked about all of the stuff we did. It was so nice to have him verify all these stories, some of which seem hard to believe.

Tops on the list would have been taking a photo from the Songs In The Key of Life sessions, working with the LA studio musicians including the Toto guys, David Foster, Chick Corea, Michael Sembello, Lee Ritenour, live shows I worked with Billy Joel, Yes, Linda Rondstadt, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, The Beach Boys, The Kinks, Smokey Robinson, and I'm sure there are others that escape me at the moment.

I was really blessed to see and work with so many of these great acts back in the 70s. The odd thing is that since I was working for most of these shows, I didn't pay as much attention or appreciate them as much as if I paid for a ticket since I was concentrating on what I was doing. I also was not at all impressed what what we were doing, because it was simply our job. Even though I really enjoyed what we were doing, it was a heck of a lot of work.

Oh, there were also a lot of comedians I did sound for and there was not a whole lot easier than that for a sound guy, considering they were mostly one or two mics. Tops among them were George Carlin, Cheech & Chong and Richard Prior.

I also recorded a lot of shows at SDSU, and once again I was so concerned with what I was doing, that I really didn't enjoy the shows as much as I could have. Tops among those was Rahsaan Roland Kirk. Those recordings were eventually released and I really enjoy listening to them. Sadly, I wish I would have paid more attention to what he was doing on stage. He may have been the most amazing performer I ever saw, let alone worked with.

It was only long after those days that I was able to reflect back and realize how darn cool it was to be a part of all of that.

Oh one more show that I did not work, but was very lucky to attend was Frank Zappa at the Roxy. I'd love to go back to that one, especially considering that I became friends with Ralph Humphrey a few years after that when we were both touring with Seals & Crofts.

25. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

I found out this epic concert has not been released as a single CD and/or vinyl... sadly.