Which KISS album is their masterpiece ? (POLL)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by S. P. Honeybunch, May 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

I think I know what you mean, but I’d never previously characterised classic era Kiss as blues based rock - I always thought their music specifically excluded the blues, and that lack of blues was almost a defining feature - instead, they copped their early inspiration from Chuck Berry rock’n’roll (his riffs at least) and the Who’s blues-less bludgeoning hard rock.

if you mean you prefer them when they played it straight, and with less attempted epic grandiosity or orchestration (relatively speaking, it’s still Kiss) or Queen-like accents, then I’m with you.

2. Goldtop33

Goldtop33 Forum Resident

I just look at the majority of their 70’s albums (except for Destroyer which is a Bob Ezrin creation) as basic blues based rock. The chords, the basic verse/chorus structures - all of Ace’s incredible guitar solos (which were missing from every song on Destroyer)

To me it’s all British Blues-Rock band stuff - their version of Stones, Zep, Who, etc...
    & more importantly - it seemed honest & heartfelt. It wasn’t contrived sounding (like Destroyer & everything they did after A&P left). The original band was never about pop music or progressive or metal, hairband or any of that stuff.

3. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

Rock N Roll Over
    Solid front to back

Haggis Wampovich and Curveboy like this.
  4. GuitarVR

GuitarVR Active Member

What, is this like Reddit, where going against the hive mind gets you banned?

carlwm likes this.
  5. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney Thread Starter

Surely, somebody has an argument against Hotter Than Hell being a masterpiece. I won't buy it, though. Ballsy mix: check. Wall to wall of killer no filler songs: check. Mix of Gene, Paul, and Catman vocals: check. Ace on fire and ripping away on the axe: check.

6. doity

doity Forum Resident

That “joke band” in their prime was eating up the UK’s Led Zeppelin in concert. Sure, they had bigger numbers but do you think that Zeppelin would had wanted Kiss opening for them in the 75-77 time frame? Kiss would had eaten their sloppy ass lunch.

Anthrax, Curveboy and carlwm like this.
  7. zipzorp

zipzorp Senior Member

Alive!

(Music From) The Elder

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    carlwm likes this.
  8. doity

doity Forum Resident

Do you think any touring band back in the mid-70’s would want to follow this? None. Except for maybe Wings and I wouldn’t really call them a “touring band.”

9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Great album! :righton:

S. P. Honeybunch and Doomster like this.
  10. I always heard this song as a mash up between Scorpions ‘Still Loving You’ and Humble Pie ‘Walk on Gilded Splinters’.

carlwm likes this.
  11. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

I hear the former, but not the latter {but then, I have only heard the Dr. John version, so perhaps Humble Pie's version is closer!}

12. Definitely need the edge and bombast of the Humble Pie version.

Doomster likes this.
  13. Goldtop33

Goldtop33 Forum Resident

perfect example of why Ace & Peter were so integral to Kiss’ success. Those guys brought it live

Old Rusty likes this.
  14. doity

doity Forum Resident

After slagging off Zeppelin last night I went and watched their London O2 concert. I was pretty impressed and it was much better than any footage I had ever seen of them......at least of them in their peak years. But I still don’t think too much of them regardless. I have always thought of the band as kind of a “training wheels” rock band. You like them when you are young but they don’t offer much past a certain age.

I think some people just look at the costumes and the show that Kiss puts on and think that they are just a novelty act or something. But think about the sheer number of books, movies, documentaries, retrospectives, etc., that have been done on Kiss over the years. There are not too many bands besides maybe The Beatles who have had as much ink spilt over, and every little bit of their history has been covered in the most minute of detail. I don’t think a “novelty act” would garner such attention over so long of time.

carlwm likes this.
  15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I revisited Double Platinum today; hell of a comp and the sound is SO much better than on my original CDs.

fretter and Curveboy like this.
  16. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

Honestly, if Eddie Kramer had produced the debut, it would be that hands down. Failing that, it’s Ace’s solo album. Not a bum track on it, and it has the strongest overall ‘KISS’ identity as far as I’m concerned. Destroyer is a close second due to the next strongest set of songs and great production, but Great Expectations and Sweet Pain hurts it. After that, the remainder of the makeup years up to Love Gun and COTN-Asylum era are all on equal footing.

17. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I think "Love Gun" is their stupidest album, it's a utterly stupid album even by Kiss standards, so I vote this one as their masterpiece.

carlwm likes this.
  18. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Not sure how it's stupid? I mean, there are some great tunes and playing on that album...I don't think Hooligan has aged well (it was fun when I was 9) and I never cared for Got Love For Sale...but the rest?

19. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

That has a been a frequent listen recently. I don't know if it is *the* masterpiece, but it definitely rips.

I would say the whole KISS catalog is a masterpiece.

20. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Love Gun ("You pull the trigger of my love gun.."), Plaster Caster, Tomorrow and tonight, Christine Sixteen.. are stupid songs, involuntarily hilarious..
    Anyway, I enjoy it. To like seriousness on Kiss is missing the point

Barnyard Symphony and carlwm like this.
  21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I don't listen to Revenge and I cherry-pick from Animalize, Carnival and Ace's solo record. Otherwise, I love their catalogue. :)

Johnny Rock N' Roll likes this.
  22. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

Exactly: no more (or less) stupid (or sexual) than rock 'n' roll ever was. Well, maybe a tiny bit more.

You're referring to lyrics, it seems, and not music, and focusing on double entendres, in order to determine your "masterpiece".

Given your determining criteria, I have to say, 80s Kiss lyrics are often whole new level beyond Love Gun, so maybe you should look there too.

Neonbeam and Curveboy like this.
  23. Motown Syd

Motown Syd Ford Tough

Alive!, then Destroyer. Both have a Detroit flavor.

24. Debut followed very closely by The Elder

25. Jack D

Jack D Forum Resident

Eddie Kramer's Rock and Roll Over

But it's only 33 minutes so just add two stupid (/silly) songs from Love Gun :)

• "I Stole Your Love"
    • "Christine Sixteen"
    • "Got Love For Sale"
    • "Shock Me"
    • "Tomorrow And Tonight"
    • "Love Gun"
    • "Hooligan"
    • "Almost Human"
    • "Plaster Caster"
    • "Then She Kissed Me"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.