Which Led Zeppelin live show(s) will Jimmy Page release in 2018?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jan 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Yes, I'm certain of that too. Given ol' Led Wallet's keen interest in keeping artistic control, I doubt he'd miss an opportunity to make sure the renewal takes place. Hence I don't think the real releases will start till late summer. Maybe Plant subconsciously gave the game away with "we didn't start playing together till September" (August Robert!)

John Rhett Thomas likes this.
  2. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

The April 26th 1969 show there by Zeppelin was historic. First live performance of Whole Lotta Love (studio track recorded about a week prior at Olympic Studios). Bootlegs exist but a better quality recording would definitely be important. I had read that some shows at the Fillmore West were recorded. (audio and video) Maybe there is a surprise in the works.

Rockin' Robby and steveharris like this.
  3. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I still have that old IQ cd set for the April 26,69 Winterland.One of the greatest nights ever.

4. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

There's a Yardbirds boot from 1967 at the Fillmore West. Only bits of the show, including a fantastic "Glimpses", but imo the quality implies a proper recording rather than an audience recording. If Bill Graham did record shows, and kept the recordings, wonder what happened to his estate when he passed?; presume it went to a family member / wife etc. It'd be interesting if anything recorded at that venue emerges as a) everyone worth their salt played there, and b) so many bands will be having 50th anniversary releases in the next few years, not just Zeppelin.

5. geisha78

geisha78 Forum Resident

For the sound of what might be in the Graham vaults for this period, I’d look to the April 24th fragment.

6. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Isn't this it?:

The World's Largest Collection of Live Recordings at Wolfgang's

7. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Based on the previous standalone live archive releases, my money is on this release being Earls Court.

They do seem to be following a chronological order:

1997 - BBC Sessions (1969-71)

2003 - How The West Was One (1972)

2007 - The Song Remains The Same (1973)

So 1975 seems to be the logical next release. And I am sure Jimmy hinted a couple of years ago that Earls Court might be next.

Sean, ohnothimagen and J_D__ like this.
  8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

That’s a pretty loose interpretation of the chronology...since TSRTS originally came out in 1977. And you’re not including the DVD or Olympia.

It might be Earl’s Court, but honestly I don’t see this logic being a clue or the reason why.

Rockin' Robby and matt79rome89 like this.
  9. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

The only other philosophy I can think of is if the release is from 1969 because of copyrights.

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

How about the philosophy of the concert that is most suitable for release?

11. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Well I was referring to audio releases rather than dvds and when I said standalone release, I meant not included as part of an album reissue.

Whilst TSRTS wasn't released until 1976 the album is a 1973 concert and the 2007 reissue was a closer representation of the original concert rather than a film soundtrack.

Anyway, time will tell.

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

This is a pretty good explanation of why I called it a loose interpretation of the chronology.

Yes, only time will time.

Bink likes this.
  13. steveharris

Whatever it is I want the Super Deluxe!:D

Sean, Haggis Wampovich and marcb like this.
  14. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

My gut is still with HTEWW due to Page saying it's so different to other shows. I think he's referring to the quiet, polite Japanese audience compared to the U.S.'s raucous crowds.

JeffMo likes this.
  15. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Man I hope so....Though 68 is intriguing, and copyright issues might be legit if such multi tracks exist. That aside, I still think EC is a strong possibility, because I know it exists and has a lot of multis to be manipulated. A chronological thing only including a small portion of HTEWW would be disappointing and beg, when will the rest of it come out.

JeffMo likes this.
  16. steveharris

And there are great versions from both Osaka & Tokyo.If they have these shows recorded I wouldn`t even mind hearing different improvisations from the same songs.Of course I`d be happy if anything from Japan`71 ever does come out.Something like Earl`s Court probably is more likely.We should know soon.......

17. steveharris

Well,what else do you guys think?A huge(or small) chronological?A standalone from one,maybe two shows?
    Albert Hall? Soundboards like Montreau,maybe Bath?Maybe nothing!

18. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Any live chonological will have fans asking when will the complete shows be released. And at the speed LZ moves the answer is.....not in our lifetimes.

I believe a live chrnological set is a poor idea due to the above. JP just needs to deliver complete shows.

19. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Here's an inside tip: Don't bet your money on that.

hellion, Chris M, Bink and 1 other person like this.
  20. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Hope you're right! IMO, an Earls Court release would be the equivalent of winning the 'Zonk Prize' on Let's Make a Deal. :thumbsdow

[​IMG]

Personally, I'm still hoping for the 1968 compilation that was rumored months back. Supposedly, it would consist of half 1968 live tapes, half first album studio outtakes. Now THAT would truly excite me!

21. steveharris

The original Song Remains The Same Soundtrack will always be a favorite even if it was edited together.I always thought last night at Madison Square Garden 7/29/73 was an overlooked concert.
    A super deluxe live box from every tour would be the way to go.Ha Ha!:unhunh:

22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I hope for HTEWW.

rockclassics and mark renard like this.
  23. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

JP already said tehre were no intentions to release teh japan shows for teh moment.

24. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

Please show me where Page said this?

25. steveharris

I read some Robert Plant interview on a sidebar somewhere.
    He is not celebrating Zeppelin`s 50th because of all of the darkness,the car wreck,losing his son and Bonham,being reminded what his family lost.Also jokes maybe something good will come of it and about maybe getting a free copy of the new live album Jimmy is working on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.