Which LP defect annoys you the most?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Strat-Mangler, Jun 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

Inner groove distortion.

2. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

3. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Ticks/pops

Tim 2 likes this.
  4. jfine

jfine Forum Resident

I have 2 records where it skips and absolutely will not move forward, cleaned it many times, toothpick, etc., AND visually I can't see a d@mn thing.

5. junkculture

junkculture Forum Resident

Non-fill and off-center are close, but I chose non-fill since it's a pressing defect with my copy and I would need to get it replaced. Off-center is annoying, but I have to accept it if I really want that record since it's likely to affect all copies of a small print run. And I can eventually fix it.

6. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

Yeah, I can easily 'listen around' a few clicks and pops here and there.

But the sound of being off center infiltrates the music, constantly, both sides, no let up.

Lucky for me, it is a quite rare occurrence.

LivingForever likes this.
  7. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I have no favorite. They all annoy me.

Tim 2 and bhazen like this.
  8. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Non-fill by a mile for me-very jarring. Warped records generally make I to my turntable. Off center LPs are correctable. Clicks and Pops are correctable with my Sugar Cube. Depending on the cause, low level crackling can be dealt with by ultrasonic cleaning.

9. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

Non fill. And it's not even described in any grading system I have seen.

Porkpie likes this.
  10. missan

missan Forum Resident

Can't say I have any problems reałly with those anomalies. The only thing worth mentioning is clicks, but I ignore them automatically.

11. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Non-fill annoys me the most. It's possible for the end user to address warping and off-center problems. And (usually) cleaning can address ticks and pops. But non-fill is just not fixable.

12. Hershey

Hershey I'm gonna meet you on the astral plane

The price on the sticker.

13. April Snow

April Snow Forum Resident

Hahhahaahahahaha - good one !!
    Yeah - I second that :)

14. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Non- fill, since it’s incredibly annoying and forces me to exchange the LP or live with it.

Second would be factory scratches, so annoying. I just received the Vinyl Me Please Doors S/T mono reissue. Naturally the one bad flaw is in the early part of The End. There’s a crazy swirl of scratches, clear evidence that a piece of grit made it in between the record and the (very tight) sleeve, and did a little dance during shipping.

Luckily VMP are very easy to deal with when problems like this happens. I’ll make a video so they can hear for themselves, and send a photo too. They’ll ship off a replacement and that’s that.

My Sugarcube SC-2 has eliminated pops, clicks and crackle as an issue, and my Vinyl Flat will take care of most warps except edge warps, which are very hard to fix.

I’ve rarely received an off-center record, and the one that comes to mind right away sounded fine.

I fully accept that vinyl records are an imperfect medium. I don’t think it benefits any of us to get too bent out of shape when things aren’t perfect. The vast majority of what I purchase new comes without any flaws, or minor issues that I can overlook. But I do expect a retailer to take a return on a new, defective record, and honesty from a seller of a used one about it’s condition.

15. ThinWhiteDuke

ThinWhiteDuke Forum Resident

Bastards that stick anything with too strong sticky (usually giant price stickers etc.) on s/hand record covers... must resist temptation to remove... <slowly rips glossy print right off cardboard>…arghhhhh… <hastily tries to stick back down and pretend never happened>….

Seriously they should be hung drawn and quartered.

16. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

Definitely non-fill, since that’s a straight-up defective record that needs to be returned, if possible. But it’s also the rarest IME. I think I’ve had about 3 of them, and 2 were simple enough to replace.

That whooshing described upthread would be my next. I’ll generally live with the others.

April Snow likes this.
  17. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Interesting thread; it occurred to me that, back in my LP-collecting days (roughly 1963-1990) I never had an off-centered spindle hole, or non-fill -- in fact, I'd never even heard of those things until recently, on this forum. So, vinyl's getting worse ...

bever70 and astro70 like this.
  18. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

The only one that is entirely un-fixable; non-fill. Absolutely cannot stand it.

19. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Worst is when a record store does it. Like c’mon man you know better!

20. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

What the hell is non fill?

gammarayson and timind like this.
  21. Unknown Delight

Unknown Delight Alan Myers Jazz Heads Unite!

I have been wondering the same thing.

Someone please explain, thank you.

:)

-

22. junkculture

junkculture Forum Resident

During the pressing process, the metal stamper pressure-presses the vinyl substrate into a vinyl record. The process may be imperfect or have contamination, causing some vinyl to not fully conform to the stamper groove/mold, leaving a deformity called "non-fill". This usually sounds like a harsh hissing/scraping in one channel during playback.

23. Unknown Delight

Unknown Delight Alan Myers Jazz Heads Unite!

Ahhh...yes, now I understand.

Thank you for taking the time to explain.
    I feel lucky to have yet to have had to encounter this defect, but I rarely buy new pressings.
    Good to know this defect exsists...as a word of caution.

-

timind likes this.
  24. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

Non-fill because it can ruin an otherwise perfect record, relatively speaking.

25. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I had one. The Tetragrammaton issue of Jerry Goldsmith's soundtrack to the 1969 movie The Chairman. Loved the music, used a pocketknife to center the spindle hole and "made do" for 35 years or so. Then I replaced it with a CD some years ago, but the CD is from a needledrop, and not the best I've ever heard.

bhazen and sharedon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.