*Which* Mogami cables to get for Interconnects

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by marka, Jan 2, 2019.

1. marka

marka Forum Resident Thread Starter

This.

2. marka

Thanks, I will look on Audiogon. SH Forums are usually my first and only stop, but ...

Thanks for the reference to the merchant. My preference will be to get it already terminated by Mogami, as I can get great pricing on Mogami, but I know that others will find that info valuable.

3. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I use mogami in my studio. If you want a cable that will pass a quiet, natural signal of the source material, Mogami, like many others at this price point will do such. The Mogami gold balanced are well built. I’ve never tried their RCA interconnects ( or any Mogami cable) on my home system ( only studio). Curious to read reviews here.

marka likes this.
  4. marka

Thanks for the advice, but I still expect Mogami to provide an improvement compared to what I have. My only question is - which one.

5. marka

So far no one else has indicated any experience with the 2497s (or the 2803s or 2804s, for that matter), so I’m very much looking forward to hearing about your experience.

maellen likes this.
  6. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Mogami sells terminated interconnects, saw them in the catalog.

Mogami wire used inside of some $100K+ amps per Fremer.

marka likes this.
  7. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Ok, when I've got them in the system I'll surely let you know. The 2549 as I've already stated is very good imo.

marka likes this.
  8. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Looking forward to finding out how they sound. I'm going to buy some new RCA's between my Pre and Amp.

9. marka

Forgot to ask-which Mogami’s do you have experience with?

Thanks!

10. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

marka likes this.
  11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

That wasn't our experience when I worked at Chesky Records or recently when trying their latest on our live to two-track recordings of classical ensembles. The Mogami cables sounded veiled when compared to audiophile cables like Kimber.

marka and jfeldt like this.
  12. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

13. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Mogami and Kimber both have so many products in their lineup that a statement like this is not particularly meaningful unless the actual products are identified IMO.

For example, I found cryoed and burned Mogami 3103 with decent quality Vampire spades to sound better in my system than cryoed and burned Kimber 8TC with postmaster spades. The 3103 did not sound veiled at all (and did so at about 20-25% of the cost of the Kimber) and definitely had the edge in terms of upper midrange and high frequencies in terms of sounding more natural than the Kimber.

On the other hand, lesser speaker cables in the Mogami line (3103/3104 and one other iteration have the best reputation in the Mogami speaker cable line up) may well fare poorly against the 8TC or any of the myriad of other Kimber speaker cable products.

For example I used Mogami 2534 in a Jelco phono cable for a number of years and found it to be a good high value cable that easily bested Van den Hul MCD-502 in that application and actually bettered a DIY build featuring Cardas wiring and DIN that was quite a bit more costly. But an Audio Sensibility Impact SE was substantially better than all of those (I think in reasonable price ranges most of the Audio Sensibility product is probably likely to outperform most of the competition out there) at a super reasonable price.

Price is obviously a huge consideration as well. Kimber PBJ and KCAG are both "audiophile" cables, but with very different prices and (I would hope at least) very different performance levels.

14. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

Mogami Neglex 2534 for CD and tuner to integrated amplifier. Very noticeable midrange and upper bass detail improvement and smooth high end.

ghostofzuul likes this.
  15. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

My experience with 2549 is opposite of veiled.

Halloween_Jack, bever70 and unclefred like this.
  16. gumsrave

gumsrave Forum Resident

So, after using Mogami 2549 with Canare F10 RCAs from TT to phono stage for some time, I swapped them for a spare pair of Mogami 2534 with REAN/Neutrik NYS352G RCAs. The rest of my system is in my profile; I think it’s pretty resolving of differences between components and music.

I was listening to the second side of Bryter Layter by Nick Drake, so that was what I used for my first impression. Any changes were really subtle (no reviewer hyperbole, no veils were lifted etc) but I *think* I heard a smoother midrange so I kept them in and kept listening. After hearing a few albums now, I don’t think I can detect any difference in high frequency extension and overall I’m just as happy now with the 2534 as I was with the 2549. If the midrange is slightly less “etched” now, great, but it might just be my imagination!

I’ll keep listening with the 2534 in the setup (it’s a pain to change interconnects on the Technics 1200G - my only complaint with it!) and then maybe change back to the 2549 in the future for a further test :)

marka likes this.
  17. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Mine sound great. Very neutral

gumsrave likes this.
  18. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

This is a crosspost, hopefully that's ok. But this is the DIY "dressing" I just did on my speaker cables (shortened, cleaned up connections and orientation, and re-dressed them) and one set of RCAs so far:

What I started with
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mtemur and marka like this.
  19. toddrhodes

And done:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One old and one new next to each other
    [​IMG]

Installed
    [​IMG]

Also installed some can lights in my audio room so I now can get rid of three different lamps and or little spotlight things. And I can use my dimmer again finally. That was actually way easier than I expected it to be, but the drop ceiling helps a ton there. I can post pics if anyone cares, but they're just antique bronze gimball LED recessed lights, nothing crazy.

mtemur, marka and gumsrave like this.
  20. marka

Thanks for all the input so far.

Someone from Mogami is advising NOT to use the 2803 for this, though they believe the 2803 would good for IC between CD and amp.

Others have suggested the 2549, as did Mogami (though I want to hear what they think of 2549 versus 2497).

I’m taking very serious the @LeeS comments about Mogami’s, as he has among the most resolving systems here. But I want to understand more about WHICH Mogami cables he found mediocre.

The discussions on Audiogon were very useful, but still missing some of the pieces (and they don’t include, AFAICS, equipment profiles).

I may need to terminate the cables myself, so will be looking on YouTube, and discussions here to see if that makes sense for me, as well as which RCA connectors to use (Eichmann? something else?).

Lastly, I am getting great pricing on the cables (part of the reason I am starting with Mogami’s), and I don’t know yet what they will be, so price-price compares are a bit more difficult.

So that’s where I am, and hope pull the trigger on Monday.

Thanks again for the advice and opinions. It really has been appreciated, and is one of the myriad of reasons why the SH site is so great!

gumsrave likes this.
  21. toddrhodes

The reason I went 2549 and continue with them, personally, is "blind tests" from studio pros doing comparisons, and 2549 almost universally wins. Now to be fair, MOST studios don't cable out entire rigs in Kimber. That would be extremely costly, compared to 2549 which is $0.80/ft from Redco. And that's more my speed, at least with respect to the performance I feel they give me against other stuff in my bin that I've tested them against. Now if you're doing .5 or 1M runs, and 2 or 3 of them? Then $20/ft stuff or even higher isn't that big of a deal. That said, I paid $90 or so for each of the 1M pre-built 2549 cables I had and now that i've done the math and learned to make them myself, it opens up quite a few different options but I am more than content with what I have across every type of music I prefer.

gumsrave and marka like this.
  22. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I make my own cables using bulk Mogami cable and Eichmann KLEI RCA plugs.

My cable of choice for standard RCA cables is Mogami 2944 which has two 26 gauge OFC conductors. I also have some 2534 which worked well when I had my old Quad 44 and Quad 405-2 combination. That amp and preamp used DIN connectors and the 2534 was good in that application.

Scott

marka likes this.
  23. ghostofzuul

ghostofzuul Harvester of Sorrow

after reading about XLR cables until my eyes started to bleed... i recently got some XLR's made to order by proaudioLA using mogami 2534 & neutrik gold connectors... i use them for the connection from my DAC>pre-amp. they sound fantastic. cost me $40 bucks and that's including shipping.

based on the # of pro studios and mastering suites that use mogami i don't see how you could go wrong.

zonto, marka and 33na3rd like this.
  24. zonto

zonto Forum Resident

I used a 0.5m pair of 2497 interconnects terminated with Canare connectors a while ago. Redco will build them for cheap. I think I preferred them to Blue Jeans LC-1. 2497 is the single ended “audiophile” cable in their line.

I’ve since upgraded my integrated amp and now use a 0.5m pair of 2534 interconnects terminated with Neutrik XX XLR connectors. These are from Take Five Audio in Canada and are cryo treated.

For speaker cable, I’d go with 3103 or 3104 depending on desired effective wire gauge and whether or not you need to biwire. The only difference is the number of 12 awg runs within (2 vs. 4, respectively). Take Five Audio also offers these cryo treated with Vampire spades or some really great banana plugs they call multi contact LS4 (which are Z-plug / BFA style). I really like those banana plugs.

marka likes this.
  25. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

It's a good question. For microphone cable, we have tried Mogami W2549 and for interconnects we tried the Platinum and Gold lines which we got from Atlanta Pro Audio.

marka likes this.