*Which* Mogami cables to get for Interconnects

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by marka, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Yeah larger diameter exit/strain relief.

2. marka

marka Forum Resident Thread Starter

Interesting.

So if I purchase Neutrik connectors, I will have to buy something from another manufacturer that attaches to it?

Would you mind posting a link to an example of something like this?

Thanks!

3. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

CNF-9

Link to the additional part you would need to allow assembly of the 8.0 mm diameter wire using the nf2c-b-2 connector. Neutrik used to supply the two sizes in the bag when you purchased one but now seems they sell as an accessory. Progress! I did assemble one set of IC's yesterday using all metal Switchcraft connectors and I just enlarged the opening with drill bit. In the connectors I used, real estate tight. Couldn't fit any larger diameter in there if I had to.

marka likes this.
  4. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Here's what it says in the Neutrik catalog about it. See last statement. Those appear to be quite nice RCA's btw.

NF2C-B/2

Pair of professional `Phono Plug` (`RCA`- or `CINCH`- type) - marked red and black.

Including 2 x 2 strain reliefs for cable O.D. 3.0 mm to 7.3 mm. Additional strain relief for cable O.D. up to 8.0 mm available as accessory

marka likes this.
  5. marka

Thanks very much. I appreciate the information.

6. marka

Just an update.

I have my cables, and my connectors arrived today.

Neutrik. (Thanks @LeeS)

Thanks to @Gibsonian I was able to order the extra piece for a larger diameter exit/strain relief at the same time. These are harder to find though inexpensive, so I got some extras.

I’ve been looking for silver solder. ETI had recommended using their own 5.8% silver solder for their bullets, but nowhere had any product info. I’ve been looking, but haven’t found them, nor have I found any solder yet with 5.8% silver. The highest silver content I’ve seen so far is 4%. Does anyone have any recommendations on where I might find higher silver content solder?

LeeS likes this.
  7. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Haven't seen 5.8% silver solder. 4% is common and what I've purchased in the past. I can't tell the difference between it and 63/37 or 60/40 tin/lead, so I don't use it anymore.

timind and marka like this.
  8. marka

Thanks!

All my lead solder went to the haz waste drop off long ago.

From what I’ve read, the silver lead has a higher melting point, and provides a stronger solid joint. I’ve seen opposing views on the impact on sound.

9. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Are you attempting to buy tin/silver only? Like 96/4 or 94/6?

Have you soldered with this high of tin level before? It really sucks in my opinion. Would be really easy to melt the plastic inside of the RCA with these high tin contents.

10. marka

Yes, I have, though on a limited basis only.

Isn’t it the silver and not the tin that requires somewhat higher temperatures?

Any suggestions on how to avoid melting?
    I just got a new solder station that allows controlling the temperature, but do I need to use a heat sink?

11. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Melt temps are:

63/37 tin/lead 183 C
    100 tin 232 C
    96.5/3.5 tin/silver 221 C

Yes, maybe a heat sink. Personally I try not to solder with the no lead stuff. I'm really not good with it.

marka likes this.
  12. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Mogami's are kicking butt I gotta say. Listening session last night was as good as I remember it ever being.

I've made a few mods besides the cables of late so I cannot attribute all to the new IC's but looking forward to hearing your take on new cables Marka, so thinking time to get soldering!

marka likes this.
  13. marka

Are those with the 2497? And compared to the 2549?

14. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I'm using the 2549 everywhere but the phono section, where I use the 2497.

I triamp so I have a lot of cables. I've not done a direct comparison between the two. Build one of each and do some comparing. The 2549 is a lot cheaper than the 2497, but in the modern cable world, all of these are really peanuts.

Butch1970, marka and 33na3rd like this.
  15. marka

Exactly the plan!

16. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

I have .75 meter of 2549 running from Lehmann phono stage to preamp input and my only comment would be that it is solid. It has the Neutrik connectors and has “microphone cable” and “Japan” printed on the jacket.

marka likes this.
  17. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

Also have similar length/age Belden cable and it has more "magic" than the Mogami to my ears. Some may interpret that as altering the sound, not sure, but overall I feel the Belden has certain qualities inherent in its makeup that produce a punchier, slightly more colorful landscape, but the Mogami is a very good and neutral sounding fit for just about anything where a nicely bloomed & accurately reproduced signature is desired.

18. zonto

zonto Forum Resident

@marka, did you ever decide on and use any Mogami cables?

19. Ralph Karsten

Ralph Karsten Forum Resident

IMO/IME the W2944 is the stuff to use for phono- keeping in mind of course that all phono cartridges these days (the old Decca cartridge of decades ago was the only true single-ended magnetic cartridge) are balanced sources.

20. Butch1970

Butch1970 Forum Resident

I had a 6' pair of balanced interconnects made for me using Mogami 2534 to run between my turntable and line stage. No complaints regarding sound, but I may need to end up getting a slightly longer set of cables. Would the 2497 wire be an improvement in a phono application? I'm running off the shelf Mogami Gold xlr's (pretty sure they use 2534) for all my other interconnects.

21. marka

Yes, the cables and connectors were bought (see post #56), and I did start the build, but have just been too busy. In fact, this is the first time on the site in many weeks.

22. ghostofzuul

ghostofzuul Harvester of Sorrow

earlier this year i had some XLR's made with mogami 2534 w/ neutrik gold xlr connectors... i liked them so much that when i picked up my sennheiser 600's a few months ago i simultaneously had a headphone cable extension cord made with 2534 and neutrik gold 1/4" connectors...

i'm quite satisfied with these purchases.

23. EricMack

EricMack Forum Resident

Bumping a useful thread. I'd recently received a Phono cable from Morrow, but frankly it introduced hum into my system that wasn't there when using the Zu Audio cable I had prior, so I returned it. After researching, I decided on to DIY using Mogami 2497 from Redco and have a set (4) of Furutech FP-106(R) RCA's coming from Japan. The RCA's can accommodate up to 9mm, so hoping I should be all set. Anyone else make their own using this combo?

@marka How satisfied are you with your builds?

24. marka

Hi Erick,

Unsatisfied with myself, not my builds! ;-)

I’ve been too busy to build the cables - they’ve been staring a lot at me lately. Hopefully soon...

25. EricMack

EricMack Forum Resident

That's just life, amigo!

Just to follow-up, I finally got the Furutech FP-106(R) plug set from Japan, and set out to install onto the Mogami 2497 cable. The RCA's are very nice, but I'll admit though there is no soldering involved, these still took a couple hours to complete because the inner insulation is so thick I had to carefully shave two sides down with a razor! I have to admit, it was two hours well spent! My Mag-Lev TT has never sounded so good... I was not a huge believer in cables making a difference, but these changed that conclusion for me. I'm hearing intricate details on albums I've never heard before.

marka.... go for it! Its worth your time.

Opriv likes this.