Which Monkees Album Is Their Masterpiece?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by S. P. Honeybunch, Sep 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Celebrated Summer likes this.
  2. 905

905 Senior Member

The first album.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  3. 905

905 Senior Member

Your Auntie Grizelda was the gateway into blues music for a lot of youngsters, including myself.
    Now, decades later, if I had to choose only one genre of music to listen to, it would probably be blues.
    I like that the first time I heard about Blind Lemon Jefferson was from Peter on a Monkees episode as well.

joy stinson and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  4. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

"Grizelda" was more like the gateway into Frank Zappa or the Dr. Demento Show. Social commentary done humorously. To a large degree, I prefer this method of preaching to the pious folk and classic rock crowd.

5. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

I was gifted the first 3 albums from an aunt and played them a lot from ages 7 to 12

my Elvis generation parents despised the Monkees, and made cutting remarks, not sure if this heightened my enjoyment

6. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Their masterpiece is Headquarters. However, Pisces is probably a better album. That's Chip Douglas's masterpiece IMO.

7. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

perfect 10 on all three statements!

8. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

But missing links is not an album of theirs it’s is a compilation It should even count

Keith V likes this.
  9. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Really? “Grizelda” as a gateway to blues?

I mean, if that did it for you that’s great. But I never heard anything particularly bluesy about it. Not compared to, say, Cream or the Yardbirds from that same era. Not that a kid watching The Monkees was likely to be into those bands, but still.

The guitar riff is kinda cool, but those goofy sounds Peter makes... Comes off as a novelty song to me. It’s OK, but I don’t love it. Just my $.02.

Good2BAnywhere likes this.
  10. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I know. But it was on the Original Poster’s list.

DaveJ likes this.
  11. Mysterious Traveler

Mysterious Traveler Forum Resident

Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones Ltd is my personal favourite. It's one of those albums that I can put on at any time and have a great time listening to.

joy stinson likes this.
  12. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I know I'm really not picking one as a masterpiece, but breaking it down a little:

'Masterpiece' of their original 9: "Headquarters"

'Masterpiece' of their four reunion era albums: "Justus"

'Masterpiece" of the "Missing Links" series: "ML V2"

Best of the other compilations ("Monkeemania-40 Timeless Hits", "Then & Now...", "Monkee Business" & "Monkee Flips"): My vote goes to "Monkeemania", because although I no longer own a copy of it, it was really the best original 'compilation album', since it included the hit sides, plus key album tracks & a few rarities. Of course since then, there have been other, and maybe better, compilations, but "Monkeemania" was probably the grand-daddy of them.

13. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

I had been pretty consistent with my top Monkees LP's over the past 40 years. There have been some additions because ML 2 is awesome, as many have pointed out, and was added to my top 5 and then Good Times! was when it came out in '16. Head would be number 1 if it had a few more great songs. I love each song on that release. Pisces is by most "experts" the Monkees best work i.e. their masterpiece and I think it is a masterpiece in general. It is a real mix of tunes that all work. I think all the vocalists on that LP shine as does the mix of genres and groundbreaking stuff like the Moog. And while it is a mix of Monkees and session players, it is the correct mix. Throw in HQ for obvious reasons for Monkees fans and you have my Top 5. All masterpieces to me all get play on a regular basis.

14. linklinc

linklinc Forum Resident

~"Headquarters"
    ~"Pieces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd."

While "Headquarters" is my clear & certain favorite of the two- both are, without question, legitimate "masterpieces" & on that same "top shelf level" of quality... and they both were released in 1967, back to back.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

More
    Pisces
    ML2
    Good Times

joy stinson likes this.
  16. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

17. cuddlytoy

cuddlytoy Forum Resident

Shades of Gray, For Pete's Sake, Randy Scouse Git

Hall Cat likes this.
  18. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Never got the love for Headquarters. Pisces for me and Head.

joy stinson and RobRoyF like this.
  19. cuddlytoy

cuddlytoy Forum Resident

No way! Come On In is a great song!

905 likes this.
  20. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Oh, For Pete’s Sake.

21. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

I prefer PAC&J as their best one. "Masterpiece" is an overused term like "genius".

DaveJ and Bobby with a dollar like this.
  22. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I agree with the first three, but I would rank ‘Instant Replay’, ‘Justus’, ‘The Birds, The Bees…’, the first two, and ‘Present’ miles ahead of ‘Good Times’. I might even like ‘Changes’ more. I do prefer ‘Good Times’ to ‘Pool It’.

905, agundy and Grand_Ennui like this.
  23. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Pisces. No contest. Headquarters is #2.

joy stinson and RobRoyF like this.
  24. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees

RobRoyF and Brian Mc like this.
  25. John54

John54 Senior Member

I've always preferred More of ..., although I haven't heard much of the later stuff (by which I mean anything after Head). I'll admit to having What Am I Doing Hangin' Round and Don't Call On Me from PAC&J on my Monkees favourites list, but Sometime in the Morning and Laugh are 1-2 ...

joy stinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.