Which MONO Albums Are You Currently Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Jul 21, 2020.

1. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Just listened to 2 original Rolling Stones mono LPs earlier. December’s Children and Between the Buttons. Both red label Londons.

2. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

Going through the Dylan Mono box set.
    Bringing it all Back Home is next.

cpatton, ET3311, hodgo and 1 other person like this.
  3. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

Check out this great MixCloud show where a fellow board resident plays all Mono mixes from the vinyl source. Super fun. Turned me onto some stuff I didn’t know was released in Mono. I forget his name and can’t tag him from memory But here’s a link to one of the recent shows.

Mixcloud

This week it’s been the Otis Redding box set in glorious mono. Picked it up off a recommendation on another thread and it hasn’t left the turntable since it arrived a few weeks ago.

Also the Aretha Arrives rhino edition that came out a few years ago. Stellar quality LP for a $20 spot.

Mark L., phillyal1, James H. and 2 others like this.
  4. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Compositions of Dizzy Gillespie , with Cannonball , B.Timmons , J. Griffin, etc. glorious mono sound on this 1961 DeepGroove original Riverside !! Awesome ! !! I got it for like 5 dollars years ago at Jerry’s Records in PA...

5. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

6. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Dont have many but the ones I do have I really enjoy.

Jimi Hendrix Axis Bold As Love (Both the Classic Records and UHQR vinyl pressings as well as the AP SACD)
    Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced Several Mono Needledrops from different sources. Don't have any Mono AYE Vinyl.
    Jefferson Airplane Surrealistic Pillow Mofi 45 RPM
    Several individual Jimi Hendrix 45s
    JImi Hendrix Classic Records Classic Singles Collection Volume 2. Contains several 45s that are mono.

There are a few more I have my eye on but haven't got around to listening to them or acquiring them.

hodgo likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Al Jolson-The Jolson Story on CD

8. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

9. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

WA on Japanese red vinyl
    PS from Carl and the Passions vs Analogue Pressing shootout

10. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Yeah, still searching for their mono Hard Road and have been for awhile...

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  11. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Mono original copy of bluesbreakers is my recent joy :)

YardByrd, Man at C&A and hodgo like this.
  12. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

That set, as with the Beatles Mono Box should be in any serious music fans collection, also like the Beatles it doesn't matter if you go the vinyl or CD route because both have excellent sound quality.

You mean at @FJFP and his "Back To Mono" - My Online Radio Show Focussed Solely on Mono - Now on Podcast Platforms!*

Absolutely! Freddie's all mono radio show is essential listening here in chateau hodgo

Keep at it because it sounds every bit as good as the other two releases.

YardByrd and Mike McMann like this.
  13. hodgo

Michael, thanks for tip and on that note, I'm playing this complete collection of Al and Bing Crosby's joint radio appearances together as I browse through the forum......

Bing Crosby Meets Al Jolson - The Complete Radio Duets

[​IMG]

Gasman1003 and Michael like this.
  14. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Soul Dressing by Booker T & the MGs, from the 90's Inglot & Hersch Stax/Atlantic/ATCO reissue series.

[​IMG]

Lovely series of re-issues this, slowly collecting them as I see them. I have the Otis Blue in mono too.

Love the Sundazed Bluesbreaker mono, but tracking down the other two on CD is killing me.

15. Nicode70

Nicode70 Overspending completist

Last night i listened to:
    Beach Boys Pet Sounds (Analogue Productions Mono 45rpm 2LP)
    and then for Historical reasons:
    The Beatles - Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Clum Band (2014 AAA version from the Beatles in Mono Box Set)

what a delight;

16. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Pink Floyd "Saucerful of Secrets" RSD mono vinyl - definitely prefer this album in mono

17. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Great stuff! I have the 2014 Mono Pepper (apparently worth a lot of money these days), and I've just ordered the AP Mono Pet Sounds (33rpm). My 50th Anniversary Mono Pet Sounds is pretty good, but I've really fallen in love with that album, so I thought it would be worth an upgrade to the more expensive Analogue Productions. How's the 45rpm version, must sound like heaven, right?

18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've been collecting the Atlantic / Stax soul CDs too. The Original Album Series sets use these masterings and the Japanese (most actually made in Europe but presented like they're Japanese) Atlantic 1000 series has loads of classic soul / R'n'B very cheap with good masterings. I bought Otis Redding - Tell The Truth from the same series as your Booker T. CD only last week.

Atlantic 1000 R&B Best Collection

hodgo likes this.
  19. Nicode70

Yes and no.
    LP1 clearely has an issue. i have a very distinct hiss on the whole record. I just unsealed the record i recieved just a week ago. kind of a let down.
    LP2 was dead silent, and so yes it was heaven.

I've contacted the seller on discogs to see if wa can sort something out. i also reached out to analogue productions on instagram and they offered to help if the seller was unable/unwilling to help. (nice gesture)

But for me, Pepper was miles ahead, both sonicaly and musicaly.

Trixmay 988 and hodgo like this.
  20. WillieDaPimp

WillieDaPimp Good bad, not evil

The first two Paul Butterfield Blues Band albums, S/T and East/West, original gold label Elektra’s.

21. hodgo

Thanks for tip off I've cued this one up for this afternoon. :righton:

22. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Too bad about that hiss, sounds pretty annoying. I only have one 45rpm album by Analogue Productions (Roy Orbison's Crying), and no issues with that. Their standards should be really high, especially at those premium prices. Let's hope you'll get another one that plays perfectly. Interesting that you've compared it with Pepper, and that you've found that Pepper was miles ahead. I know there's a big difference in sound and feel between the Mono and Stereo Pet Sounds. The cheaper Mono versions have always sounded a little muddy and veiled to me. Is that also the case with the Mono Analogue Productions version? The stereo versions sound clearer and more detailed to me, but then it's a different mix and has digitisation in the chain, so I'm not sure if I'd pay the AP premium on that...

hodgo likes this.
  23. Nicode70

I don't have any other version of pet sounds to compar. but the AP version sounds crisp and sharp. Not muddy at all.

Pepper definitly has nostalgia and habits playing in it's favour. And i don't know Pet Sounds nearly as well as Peppers.
    But comparing Peppers Mono to it's Stereo counterpart (2012 remasters) it's day and night. i'll pick mono over stereo every day of the week. It's more punchier, feels like a rock album, when stereo feels more like pop (for a lack of a better word).

DBMartin and hodgo like this.
  24. Love "Forever Changes" from 50th Anniversary set.

Bee Gees "1st"

25. hodgo

Steve, how does the mono for this album sound? I've only ever heard the stereo mix so I'd be interested to know your thoughts.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.