Which MONO Albums Are You Currently Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Jul 21, 2020.

1. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Whenever someone says to me they don't like mono, this is one of the examples I give where the mono wins every time. You hit the nail on the head by saying it feels more like a rock album, the mono almost punches you in the face whereas the stereo is really kind of limp and lack lustre in comparison.

2. Score17

Score17 Forum Resident

Piper at the Gates of Dawn - RSD release

3. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Thanks for that! I haven’t put an episode on Mixcloud for a hot minute actually, as they’re all on podcast platforms now - I just put out episode 39 today! You can find them all here on Podbean and on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and anywhere else - just search Back to Mono! I’m always on the lookout for new records, so let me know.

4. hodgo

Freddie, one of things I mentioned when starting this thread was that I decided to have a "British Beat Boom Day", this got me thinking what a great show you could put together along these lines, is there any chance of you taking up the challenge?

5. FJFP

I’m sure I could - there’s plenty of beat in the previous episode (show 38), but what are you after? I can bring it all together in one mega episode if you want!

hodgo likes this.
  6. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

I'm still regularly spinning the Saucerful mono reissue. Its a thing of wonder, still.

7. Tom Hakala

Tom Hakala Forum Resident

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue (mov)
    Jimi Hendrix - Axis (mov)

notesofachord, Gasman1003 and hodgo like this.
  8. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

I really need to pick this up on CD.

hodgo and Mike McMann like this.
  9. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

The Dylan Mono box on CD seems to be quite reasonably priced, at least here in the UK - £70ish as opposed to the £150ish the Beatles and Stones mono sets went for. I'm tempted to invest, I've never really dug into early Dylan, and hard-panned stereo tends to be a deal-breaker for me.

SteveM, hodgo and Billy Infinity like this.
  10. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I was able to acquire some really great original mono lps during the lockdown phase of our lovely global pandemic. I can only order from US sellers on Discogs, which presents a challenge, but also clarifies things. In the last few months I've found, for reasonable prices:

1. Doors Strange Days US Monarch
    2. Rolling Stones Aftermath & Between the Buttons UK DECCA
    3. Fresh Cream US Monarch
    4. Disreali Gears UK Reaction

The only one in less-then-desirable condition is Between the Buttons, but it was also a great deal and those old mono grooves hold up pretty well; it still sounds good. Not too many choices on this side of the Atlantic. In normal times I would have paid 2.5x as much for a VG+.

Disreali Gears really struck me as it sounds very organic and fast. I have a stereo Monarch and so far the mono is blowing me away in comparison.

11. hodgo

There's the Obvious one's such as the Kinks, Beatles & the Stones etc but I think I'd pick out some of the more obscure artists who in many cases created some underappreciated gems, including artists our US friends may not be familiar with, such as....

Hedgehoppers Anonymous
    The Artwoods
    Johnny Kidd
    Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers
    The Animals
    Graham Bond
    The Searchers
    Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich
    Wayne Fontana
    The Tremeloes
    The Honeycombs
    Shane Fenton & The Fentones
    The Flee Rekkers
    Tony Sheridan
    The Tornados

There are just too many to list but I do know they created some fabulous records.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  12. You have this on vinyl? If yes, you got a rare one

13. Notorious Byrd Brothers-UK pressing in a glorious dedicated MONO Mix

14. FJFP

On topic, while I haven’t got my records around my right now, I recently recompiled my UK Mono copy of “Through The Past Darkly” using all the mono single/EP mixes of the tracks, and I absolutely love it. An incredible compilation in it’s UK tracklisting. Essential.

15. hodgo

That's a great idea, I might just do that myself because it is indeed a great compilation.

16. FJFP

You’ll need to She’s a Rainbow from the singles collection, but everything else you can just use from the In Mono box.

ODShowtime and hodgo like this.
  17. I'm spinning it again right now in probably a rather vain attempt to try to describe the difference. It's only a fold as you know so there aren't really any surprises but to my ears on my system the mono fold never let's you forget it's first and foremost a rock album. It's punchier sounding even though it's really not in reality - if you get my drift?!

The stereo by comparison sounds more dramatic and richer with those sublime horns and strings being more pronounced and appearing to sound clearer. It's certainly worthwhile hearing but although it's probably the wrong thread to say this in but I honestly prefer the stereo.

hodgo likes this.
  18. TimeWarper

TimeWarper A Well Respected Man

Los Shakers: Shakers For You (1966)
    A fantastic South American rock album, unfortunately I don’t have the original nor the recent vinyl reissue (shipping and pandemics don’t go well together).

notesofachord, Beatledust and hodgo like this.
  19. hodgo

Thanks for the feedback Steve, in this case like you, I think I'll stick with the Chris Bellman mastered Stereo LP.

20. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Axis Bold as Love, Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

ODShowtime likes this.
  21. Oh, finally I've found someone (thanks Graham!) with the Bellman cut but I'm guessing you don't have the MFSL as well? I have the MFSL 45rpm which is totally out of this world and also the 50th Anniversary set including the latest Bernie Grundman cut which is very good indeed. Some say this is the best of the lot. I prefer the MFSL myself but I'd like to be able to compare the Bellman cut to both.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  22. Jonahthecat

Jonahthecat The one who buys the vinyls before a turntable

Got a mono copy of The End - Introspection and The Zombies Odessey and Oracle LPs. Both sound Beautiful!!!

Gasman1003 and hodgo like this.
  23. Jonahthecat

Jonahthecat The one who buys the vinyls before a turntable

I remember when people thought I was crazy to spend that much on that record. I personally recommend on eBay. Atleast thats where I was lucky to get mine. I got ebay bucks on top of that. Hey, its something.

pinkrudy likes this.
  24. hodgo

Steve, I'm not sure if it helps, but Michael Fremer said in his Marathon video 100 Recommended All-Analog LP Reissues Worth Owning, that he preferred the Chris Bellman cut above all others including the MFSL. He basically said whilst the MFSL is good you would best served buying the Bellman cut because not only is it cheaper, it is also better.

Jonahthecat likes this.
  25. hodgo

Back to the mono discussion, I've just finished playing The Sundazed Bo Diddley LP mentioned above.

Playing now is disc one of the Stones London Years Collection.....

[​IMG]