Which movie did you turn off within 15 minutes?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Speedmaster, Feb 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own Thread Starter

So you’re on your couch, dvd/bluray/tivo or streaming service on, popcorn ready and .... it’s just horrible. So horrible you turn it off within 5, 10 or 15 minutes.

let’s hear titles!

Most recently: I turned of The Wolf’s Call within 10 minutes. It’s a French submarine movie. Why? The ships captain orders an emergency jump to the surface, gets out of the sub with an RPG (which is standard ordnance of course) and damages a pursuing helicopter with the RPG, which does not crash, but explodes after a few seconds. I. Kid. You. Not.

Other recent ones where I just could not get past the 15 minute mark:

Mortal Engines
    Aquaman
    Crazy Rich Asians

Lets hear yours!

2. The Cook The Thief His Wife and Her Lover

Wonder Woman 1984

And right with you on Crazy Rich Asians. That movie was terrible.

3. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Ooooh, I adore that movie! But I can see how it turns other people off completely.

Anyway, my pick is a movie I was watching on TV back in the 80s. I don't remember the title, but it was a Belgian-Mongolian production (which perhaps should have warned me off). Anyway, after 10 minutes watching nothing but a man with a shotgun shooting stray dogs in the outskirts of the Mongolian capital Ulaanbaatar, I had enough.

hi_watt likes this.
  4. Mt.Elga

Mt.Elga Forum Resident

Water for Elephants
    Holmes and Watson

MikaelaArsenault and jonathan like this.
  5. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Inherent Vice (maybe 30 minutes in)
    Cats

6. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

The Steve Martin version of The Pink Panther
    Meet the Fockers

Bhob, mattright, Sean and 9 others like this.
  7. Antifrodis

Antifrodis Forum Resident

Idiocracy - I love Beavis and Butthead and Office Space, but I hated King of the Hill and what I saw of this. I liked the premise though.
    Talladega Nights - Dumb comedies are fine sometimes, but this just seemed too dumb to buy into it for me. I'm mostly not digging the comedy stylings of Will Ferrell to begin with.
    The Love Guru - In this case, I kind of wish I hadn't given up so quickly in hindsight. It seemed epically bad and probably worth a second look, since it could fall into the "so bad it's good" category, but then again, maybe not.

8. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Avengers: Age of Ultron. Unwatchable. I stopped watching after about 20 minutes. I’m a big Joss Whedon fan so I wanted to like this, but it is joyless, drama-less, based on the stalest of ideas, and just plain boring.

9. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

More like within five minutes, Thor Ragnarok?! Thor's in hell facing an absolutely giant fire breathing demon and he's cracking jokes???? Give me a break, they turned Thor into a laughing stock?! I just couldn't watch that absolute garbage!

10. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own Thread Starter

Even though I have a little crush on Emily Blunt, I turned off The Girl On The Train before the 5 minute mark.

Bhobb likes this.
  11. Trenwell

Trenwell Forum Resident

Halloween:Resurrection. (2002). It can't be a horror movie if you're basically rooting for everyone in it to die.

12. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Tideland. I couldn't get past a little girl helping her father shoot up.

13. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

That was the best Thor movie, though. Watch it when you’re in the mood for a comedic adventure.

14. McCabe And Mrs. Miller - dull as dishwater, dreary, drab, and depressing. And that horrible, tuneless Leonard Cohen song they keep repeating. I literally couldn't get past 15 minutes.

bill44, timind, Mesozoic Mike and 3 others like this.
  15. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

I don't remember the name of it but the one where you are Willhem Dafoes erect you know what.

Speedmaster likes this.
  16. SirCandy

SirCandy Forum Resident

The A Team movie with Liam Neeson- I don't know what I was thinking even picking it up- I never really liked the TV show- I guess I thought I'd watch it on the off chance they actually made an interesting remake ( again what was I thinking? ).

17. Attila the Professor

Attila the Professor Forum Resident

Motherless Brooklyn
    Suicide Squad

18. woody

woody Forum Resident

Suicide Squad
    Ad Astra
    The Killing of a Chinese Bookie. It must go somewhere but does nothing in 20 minutes.

I'd put WW84 in the wish I had turned it off in the first 15 minutes category.

19. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Altman's "Short Cuts"

20. He wasn’t in Hell. He also wasn’t the laughing stock. Jokes? I always thought even the Thor comic could use some levity.

davenav likes this.
  21. So...only the first 20 minutes were boring then, right? Cause there was a whole lot more worth while in it beyond the first 20.

22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

locked down on netflix with annne hathaway....in a word horrible. off after about 20 minutes and never returned to it.

23. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I have my suspicions about Altman and think he's very overrated. A little of his zooming around goes a long, long way for me. If you start watching, for instance, 'Thieves Like Us" expecting (as the poster promised) kind of a depression era crime thriller you're going to be gravely disappointed. As Ebert's perceptive review pointed out, the film is actually an observational treatise about time passing in the quiet rural south.

Similarly, while you might see McCabe as dull, its actually ( I think) poignant and sad, a western that decouples 'heroes' and their myths. In this case, I think it works remarkably well, and its a haunting film. Maybe his best, and certainly of the best 'westerns' ever. McCabe and Mrs. Miller movie review (1971) | Roger Ebert

But I also think "The Assassination of Jesse James..." is a great movie, and that's another one that divides people...

24. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

Not turned off, but walked out on....Waterworld. :hurl:

25. SirCandy

SirCandy Forum Resident

I like " McCabe..." and " The Assass. of J.James " but it took repeated viewings for me to appreciate both of those films.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.