Which movie did you turn off within 15 minutes?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Speedmaster, Feb 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

Terminator Dark Fate

2. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

One of my favorites, though I like the first half better than the second. I also always fast forward from the acid New York party with Bono, until after the Mr. Kite segment. Favorite song segments: I Wanna Hold Your Hand, With a Little Help..., If I Fell, I've Just Seen a Face, to name a few.

Bhob likes this.
  3. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

SirCandy and Doctor Worm like this.
  4. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

Managed to make it 28 minutes into the 2019 Cats film before my wife and I couldn't take it anymore. We both have a high tolerance for bad cinema, and we did technically make it over 15 minutes, but it broke us.

5. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

"Cmon Cmon it didn't seem bad, but it did seem mannered. Travel the country doing podcast with kids? well, the increasing thought that kids were going to say all sorts of dumb kid things things that would be uncritically assessed as innocently profound.

The cinematography and music were distinctive, but didn't serve the tenuous concept. Aged whiskey beings served with waffle House special.

but again, only watch 15-20 minutes.

6. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

The Batman

I did finish it. It only took me four sittings. I have seen bad Batman films but how do you make the characters boring?

7. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

seems like you and i agree on music choices but we part on this matter. Really dug it. Its only the MSG ending that felt too long/adding todays political situation.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Every streaming film I tried to get my wife interested in that didn't have the words, "Downton" or "Abbey" in the title. :rolleyes:

Apparently we're now beyond just "no aliens, supernatural or superheroes".

This is why I can't have nice things.

maui jim likes this.
  9. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I watched this over a week, with the sound turned off.

It's the best way to appreciate it. :)

10. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I narrowly missed seeing Babel when it was a new film. One scene you describe, in particular, sounds repulsive so thanks for taking the bullet for me. :)

11. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

A lot of "cult" movies.

Zappa: 200 Motels
    Monkees: Head
    Any John Waters movie

Horrible.

rod and SandAndGlass like this.
  12. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I stuck with it for the concert footage, but the obvious in-jokes being played on the uncomprehending really stuck in my craw - and I don't remember the film with any affection for that reason.

13. michaelscrutchin

michaelscrutchin Forum Resident

None. I finish watching every movie I start, for better or worse.

Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised by movies I wanted to shut off after the first 10 or 15 minutes, but other times...

I did attend a revival screening of Caligula back in 1999, but the projector broke midway through and I never bothered to finish, so that's close I guess.

EDIT: OK, I have one. When I was a teenager, I couldn't get through Citizen Kane's newsreel opening. It bored me to death and I turned it off within five minutes. Tried years later, same thing. And I had seen and loved other films from the '30s and '40s, so it wasn't that. Kane is pretty much the only movie I can remember turning off, never finishing until years later. When I finally made it through Citizen Kane, probably around college age, I really enjoyed it!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I wonder if Bob and Marty laughed their way through editing Rolling Thunder. Or the actors did. Or if it occurred to anyone that it was just an expensive in joke that sort of disrespected fans.

Bob should stick with his hobby of welding iron gates.

15. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I went through with it but there was a part of me thinking about turning it off multiple times. It took me two sittings and I fell asleep twice. Action movies tend to make me drift off. If there had been more of an actual story (and more Bruce Wayne), I bet I would have liked it more.

mr. steak likes this.
  16. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

I would have Forest Gump but decided to make out with a lovely lady for most of the movie instead.

17. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

I liked that movie a lot. It does have some gross scenes. One of those movies that I only need to watch once.

carrick doone likes this.
  18. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Got a new one: Everything, Everywhere, All At Once (2022).

I just COULD NOT care what was happening: story-wise, character-wise, etc., and the CONSTANT explaining of what was going on by Short Round was annoying, but I made it about 60% through until the dildos and butt plugs showed up. That's when I realized that Beavis & Butthead got ahold of the script and I turned it off.

I'm no prude, but there's a reason I DON'T watch/like stuff like South Park and Family Guy.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Dune
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2

20. Actually, I think that Altman is rated about right just some of his films got too much praise bexause he’s Altman but, at his best, he’s brilliant. I think McCabe, as a post-modern western is still brilliant.

Stencil, PhilBorder and unclefred like this.
  21. I avoided it for that reason.

Strat-Mangler and Doctor Worm like this.
  22. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I would've turned Highlander off but I was in a plane. Scandal - but I was with someone who really wanted to see it (and that was a mistake). Ditto Rocky Horror etc etc. Scissorhands - I would have got up and walked after Price died because I was too upset to continue!!

23. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

A lot of it was, sort of, plausible - but when 'Ruben Carter' turned up, I knew they were taking the piss.

24. PianoMangler

PianoMangler Forum Resident

I had to turn "The Wolf of Wall Street" off. Couldn't handle that crap any longer. :evil:

MichaelH and Fabrice Outside like this.
  25. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Oh! I liked it.
    What didn't you like about it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.