Which movie should get an extended/director’s cut?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Speedmaster, Mar 1, 2021.

1. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

The original Phantasm. There is a 3 hour version.

2. The macerator

The macerator Draining the pool.

Glastonbury Fayre allegedly a lot more shot which hit the cutting room floor and then thrown out.

3. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Some these movies mentioned are available bootleg market I know it's not...legal ... it is what it is.

4. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own Thread Starter

very true! Rumor has it that Mel Gibson finished the film after Helgeland was fired.

another example of a DC that was total crap for me was Revenge (1990). What a turd of a movie is it with that version.

Michael likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

indeed it was!

Speedmaster likes this.
  6. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Cliffhanger (1993) - with all the extra violence restored.

64FALCON, Spastica and Quadboy like this.
  7. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

it was also a great book .

64FALCON likes this.
  8. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own Thread Starter

The Thin Red Line is another one for me. Malick cut out whole characters from the final film. There was enough footage shot for a 5-6 hour film... :agree:

9. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Fast Times At Ridgemont High. There's so many deleted scenes that could be put in and just add to the movie. It'll never happen though, esp. with the Criterion Blu-ray coming up.

Also an extended This Is Spinal Tap - the original working cut plus the interviews filmed later added in. It would be the longest movie ever, I believe.

64FALCON and hi_watt like this.
  10. Regginold31

Regginold31 Forum Resident

KAFKA. Soderbergh has been reworking it for some years now. Although, I sometimes wonder if this is his version of James Cameron's ALIENS. Here is the latest information from "Film - blogging the reel world":

Steven Soderbergh Re-Editing Three of His Films, Including ‘Kafka’
    Posted on Thursday, August 27th, 2020 by Chris Evangelista

[​IMG]

Steven Soderbergh loves to keep busy. Even when he “retired,” he still managed to direct two full seasons of television (The Knick). So in true Soderbergh form, he’s been occupied with work during the pandemic. According to the filmmaker himself, he’s spent these last few months re-editing three of his films. Two of the re-edits – for Schizopolis and Full Frontal – are minor. But Soderbergh has also radically altered Kafka, his excellent second feature film that remains unavailable on DVD, Blu-ray, or streaming. Fingers crossed this means he’ll be releasing it into the world soon.

If you want to feel lazy, just take a look at Steven Soderbergh. The man is always working, even during quarantine time. Speaking with IndieWire, Soderbergh revealed that he’s re-edited three of his films – Schizopolis, Full Frontal, and Kafka. The changes to Schizopolis, an experimental comedy released in 1996, and Full Frontal, a 2002 flick about various characters in Hollywood, are minimal. “They’re just shorter,” Soderbergh says.

But the same can’t be said about Kafka. According to the filmmaker, this re-edit is “pretty radically different, something else entirely.” This isn’t the first time the director has mentioned his Kafka re-edit. He actually revealed he was tinkering with the film in 2013, telling Vulture:

“I’m overhauling Kafka completely. It’s funny—wrapping a movie 22 years later! But the rights had reverted back to me and Paul Rassam, an executive producer, and he said, ‘I know you were never really happy with it. Do you want to go back in and play around?’ We shot some inserts while we were doing Side Effects. I’m also dubbing the whole thing into German so the accent issue goes away. And Lem [Dobbs] and I have been working on recalibrating some of the dialogue and the storytelling. So it’s a completely different movie. The idea is to put them both out on disc.”

Then, during a Reddit AMA in 2017, Soderbergh said: “I’m in the midst (if you can call fifteen years of work “midst”) of a radical KAFKA overhaul, which I really want to finish by the end of the year.” Of course, since he’s still working on it here in the year 2020, it’s clear he didn’t finish it by the end of 2017.

Released in 1991, Kafka was Soderbergh’s second film, following his acclaimed debut Sex, Lies, and Videotape. It received mixed reviews and was a financial disappointment, and it’s also one of the harder-to-find films. It was released on VHS and LaserDisc (remember those things?), but has yet to find its way to DVD or Blu-ray (although there have been rumors of a Criterion release for years). It’s a weird little film that reimagines the life of Franz Kafka (as played by Jeremy Irons) as if the writer were living in one (or several) of his stories. I’ve always been a fan of the film, but I’d love to see this drastically different version Soderbergh has been cooking up for the last few years. Hopefully, we’ll hear more soon.

11. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

wow i completely forgot about this film .... i never got around to seeing it in the theatre .....

would love to see this re released.

12. Michael

I think it was mentioned: Galaxy Quest!

13. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Fight Club

Best Little Whorehouse in Texas [missing a Burt Reynolds solo of a Dolly tune "A Cowboy's Way"]

It [Parts 1 & 2]

64FALCON, EVOLVIST and Spastica like this.
  14. Spastica

Spastica Run aground on the floor for you....

Cobra - I hope Stallone tackles this project after Rocky 4.

Annie Hall - I want that version that contains a minor murder subplot which wound up inspiring Manhattan Murder Mystery years later.

Hellraiser II - The footage may not even exist anymore.

Friday the 13th part 7

Another one I want is one I already had months before the film was released....Rob Zombies Halloween.

Back in those days I knew a woman whose husband worked at the studio. She would mail me various workprints. I got one of Halloween that was a mishmash of the theatrical and directors cut. Even had alternate cuts of scenes not in either one...for example when the girls are walking down the street when they see Michael.

I threw it away years ago when the disc got scratched and will always regret not ripping it to my PC.

Those two are at the top of my list.

A 5-6 hour film...or 2 or 3 different versions of the film.

Would definitely be interesting.

64FALCON and hi_watt like this.
  15. Spastica

Spastica Run aground on the floor for you....

I don't know if a good movie can be made out of that mess.

16. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I would love to see the three hour version of the original Let it Be film. After the Get Back documentary comes out, I would love to see a Director’s Cut of that.

17. Your definition of mess is quite different of mine. The first film is terrific. The second, although it sags a bit, is still quite good.

18. Michael

I'm for that!

19. Michael

I'd love to see the extended Directors Cuts of the 4 Lethal Weapons...on BLU-RAY! all we have are the theatrical on BD...The director said the theatrical cuts are the Directors Cuts...no chance of ever seeing the DC on BD.

20. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Sliver, the 1993 film starring Sharon Stone and Billy Baldwin, had a completely different ending in its original cut, but it was reshot.

I didn't realize the original ending had leaked. The quality is terrible but here is the ending with the volcano.

Sliver Alternate Ending - YouTube

21. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

Superman II

22. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

A lot of movies have rough cuts in the 4-5 hour range. A rough cut (aka "assembly cut") is just what it sounds like, all the takes in narrative order, including slates and setups. There's going to be a lot of long pauses and pacing issues. You can take a 4 hour rough cut and easily get it down to 2.5 hours just through shortening pauses between lines or adjusting intercutting. It doesn't mean any scenes have been dropped.

That being said, I'd be curious to see the rough cut of Blade Runner 2049, when they were briefly considering releasing it as two films Kill Bill-style (part 1 was to end after the famous three-way sex scene). Apparently there were a fair number of scenes dropped and consolidated for the theatrical version, and of course Wood Harris was digitally shoehorned in as well. At a minimum, Barkhad Abdi's part was apparently much larger in the original assembly. It's just a cameo in the theatrical version.

Speedmaster likes this.
  23. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The first X-Men flick.
    I know Bryan Singer did a directors cut, but Fox never released it. And now they probably never will.

24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

They could have Sigourney 'voice-over' ala Ralphie in "A Christmas Story";
    -"Only, I didn't say 'screw'!"

25. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

That’s actually a thing.

Curveboy likes this.