Which movie should get an extended/director’s cut?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Speedmaster, Mar 1, 2021.

1. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith supposedly had a 4-hour cut that was never released. It's too bad Star Wars never went the route that the Alien series took where you had the home video releases that included both the theatrical and special edition cuts on one disc.

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'd be happy enough with a fan edit mashing-up Mel Brooks' The Producers with Spielbergs' Schindlers' List.

3. wondergrape

wondergrape Forum Resident

The Wicker Man!

mx20 likes this.
  4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

'Catch - 22 ' ?
    Fantastic source material , amazing cast. But it missed the boat completely.
    Did you ever see the 80s ( 70s? ) tv- version with Richard Dreyfuss as Yossarian? Horrid.

Ghostworld and a customer like this.
  5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Here are some interesting details about Soderbergh's "Kafka" re-imagining as"Mr. Kneff":

Steven Soderbergh Debuts TIFF Kafka Recut as Mr. Kneff | IndieWire

Davido and Regginold31 like this.
  6. Solaris Morse

Solaris Morse Forum Resident

Although its already a long film, I've always hoped that the deleted scenes from 'Titanic' would be edited back in.

Purple Jim likes this.
  7. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Bottle Rocket. At least half the bonus clips on the Criterion should be in the movie, such as the 'Future Man' name explanation, and the pot bust. They're also very funny. I wish Wes had shot the 'racetrack training sequence with Dignan and a stopwatch

"...Lot of oxidation on the car" lol

Curveboy likes this.
  8. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Once Upon a Time in America --- but I think that
    Yeah, like Mickey Rourke was completely cut out.

Spastica likes this.
  9. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Once Upon a Time in America

They tried to do this already, but the additional footage looked meh.

10. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I would think this is the obvious answer on this forum:

[​IMG]

The many hours extra that Peter Jackson already has ready for Get Back.

Ghostworld likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

when? ; )

12. Michael

please...unless it's the disaster I can can do without the "love story" ...extended.

13. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Battlefield Earth:cheers:

14. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

I really want one for Rogue One. The trailers showed a lot of clips that were cut or reshot for the film, which I'd kind of like to see.

15. Solaris Morse

I haven't watched the deleted scenes for a while now but one of them is a very long scene where Rose & Jack are being pursued by Cal as the ship is sinking. In the film as it stands, that pursuit is relatively short.

Michael likes this.
  16. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own Thread Starter

As was Adrien Brody, you see him in the backround in 1 or 2 shots. He thought he had the lead role and left the premiere scratching his head.

Yeah, good one. I like Gareth Edwards’ stuff. Of all the Disney Star Wars, this one’s actually good.

The differences in trailer and final movie footage is down to Tony Gilroy taking over from Edwards for reshoots and re-editing. So, a 100% Edwards cut would be cool. Or a 100% Gilroy cut if he can reshoot 2/3rd of the movie ;)

17. Yeah, it always struck me as a tad too pat for a conspiracy thriller.

18. Spastica

Spastica Run aground on the floor for you....

Bill Pullman too.

19. Michael

kinda moot, eh?

Solaris Morse likes this.
  20. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

21. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

LOOKER (1981) deserves a 'Director's Cut' with the "Tv-only" scene [which can be found on YouTube] put back in to the film that actually explains the plot.

QUICK CHANGE (1990) and NATIONAL LAMPOON's LOADED WEAPON 1 (1993) both amuse me . . . but they are short comedies. I'd be quite all right seeing 5-10 more minutes of footage, esp. because both movies have extra footage when aired on television. "Quick Change" runs 85 minutes theatrically and "Loaded Weapon 1" runs 83m. There's more 'stuff' shown on TV and I'd be up for seeing more footage incorporated back into each movie.

There's a couple of minutes of footage that must have been cut out of "Loaded Weapon 1" if one is paying attention. I've seen the movie several times and it's the scene where Emilio runs out of the Wilderness Girls Cookie building chasing Tim Curry. Curry gets in to a white car and endeavours to speed away . . . and there's definitely a lot more going on that was filmed than what you actually see. Watch it closely and you'll see Emilio with a children's plush bear toy in his hand running down the street at one point after Curry -and- the white car Curry starts out driving does not look like the same white car you see immediately after that. Maybe the 'stuff' that was cut out was flat-out unfunny or really d-r-a-g-g-e-d . . . but, heck, since I like the "National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1" I'd like to see more footage. I dig the shootout inside the Indian-run convenience store at the beginning complete with all the spying cameras and magazine postcards (and there was NO TAUPE-colored Leggs, either!!). :laugh:

I'd be up for a director's cut of RUSTLERS' RHAPSODY (1985) although director Hugh Wilson died several years ago so I'm not sure if Paramount would do it? Once again, there's more footage seen in the Tv version that was interesting, including a scene with Andy Griffith riding up on Tom Berenger and G.W. Bailey and discussing the inevitable gunfight and the best possible position to be in when it starts.

I would also like to buy the long version of FAR & AWAY (1990) that was shown on ABC television over 2 nights back in 1995. I can't watch the theatrical version knowing how much more stuff is in that TV version. I really appreciated the longer TV version of that particular movie. → There are plenty of times I don't like really like long movies, but "Far & Away" is an exception for me. You'd have to pay me to watch "Lawrence of Arabia" and supply me with 'No-Doz', for instance. But I'm up for a director's cut of FAR AND AWAY. :righton:
    A THOUGHT: There's another version of "Far & Away" director Ron Howard's film "The Missing" (135-minute theatrical version versus 154-minute DVD version) . . . so why not "Far & Away"? :shrug: C'mon, Ron! Get 'er done!

22. Solaris Morse

nah, its got sound. :D

Michael likes this.
  23. Michael

Indeed...; )

Solaris Morse likes this.