Which of Fleetwood Mac "Then Play On" is better?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alex-57, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

2. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Any excuse to have this thread bumped! :)

Anyway, can anyone confirm exactly where the redundant bit is, in the version of Oh Well on the Reprise CD? Like a lot of folks I imagine, I'd like to compile my own edition of the original English version, with the singles (at their correct length) on the end, whilst I'm waiting for someone to take the intiative and do a DE of this incredible album...

3. Clarkophile

:righton:
    Thanks, Wayne.

4. Having read a comment from a former Rhino employee about, it's nice to hear that SOMEONE was thinking! It's a pity that Rhino lost interest. Seems that happens a lot.

5. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

6. Clarkophile

To create awareness. Like a similar petition I started concerning unreleased Gene Clark music, I don't really expect anything to happen. I simply do it and hope for the best.

Incidentally, my Gene Clark petition is in 18th place. Obviously I'm not the only person who desires such an archival release.
    Suggestions with far fewer votes have been adopted or are currently under consideration.

7. Clarkophile

Yeah, well Allmusic has been known to get it wrong. I love that record.

8. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

Well, not really, because the crucial things missing are all the segues, the end of "Underway," the two Kirwan songs, and the "Madges" etc put in their rightful places. AND the UK tapes, which probably sound a bit better. Keeping the original running orders of each side with the segues is the thing. Putting something BETWEEN the sides....not so terrible if you ask me. But I'm not deeply attached to the idea.

Replicating one of the complete US running orders on another disc though....I don't see much point in that.

Finally....The US running order is NOT on the one and only CD. The CD is different from all prior running orders. It's closest to the second US running order but it has two other songs re-added, rather randomly.

9. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

When I read this my first thought was the author just didn't get the album or try to. Peter had just left Fleetwood Mac and was having problems, but the most serious problems occurred well after this album was cut. To dismiss this so briefly and summarily reveals the authors pre-disposition. I don't find it endless jamming anymore than jazz is. Its a cool album. I got a copy for as local fellow in his late twenties who is into more avant-garde, experimental and esoteric types of music - he'd heard about it from his friends who had raved about it. After I found him a copy I asked him how he liked it and he said he loved it.

10. WickedUncleWndr

WickedUncleWndr New Member

"End of the Game" has more in common with Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew" than anything associated with rock music at the time.

The recently (circa 1970) jilted members of Fleetwood Mac dismissed the album at the time. Mick Fleetwood spoke to Rolling Stone, and simply stated that Green was on a path that Jimi Hendrix already covered. Yet did Jimi Hendrix ever release an album of instrumental jams while he was alive? Peter Green was really experimenting, and wanted to explore his direction. Don't forget that Peter provided some great session work for Memphis Slim 6/70.

Green's mental illness didn't really kick in until late 1971. That's when he began to reject himself as a blues/rock guitarist. For some reason Green recorded with FM in Jan/73, but by then Peter was not right. Bob Brunning came to see Peter around that time, and he didn't want to listen to his own music, or music in general anymore.

11. Clarkophile

Since my petition was inauspiciously shut down by our own Mr. Olson, can anyone tell me if Warners has an e-mail address to which archival requests can be directed?

12. hoggydoggy

Spot on, for me.

I know it's a threadcrap, but this idea that a single extended acid trip in March 1970 was responsible for Peter's subsequent fall from grace has never washed with me either - it might have helped accelerate his direction to some degree, but you only have to listen to Showbiz Blues from 1969 or realise that Green Manalishi was already written and performed before that trip to realise he was never going to stay in the same place.

It's a damned shame, as it doesn't even allow us a "what if" scenario about that fateful night in Germany, but I think it's a little more honest than the oft-repeated cover story that Fleetwood/McVie trot out...

13. WickedUncleWndr

On this subject, we're on the same "page". Peter was not "Peter" way before Munich. Yet as a guitarist, he was never better! Green's guitar playing post "Munich" through the end of May 1970, from the recordings that exist should be heard. Skip Spence, and Syd Barrett were true acid casualties. They lost their ability to perform as they had previous to their mental snap. Peter Green in Stockholm 4/70, and London later that month, are jaw dropping incredible!! There is no question Green's intake of LSD later led to schizophrenia, but it wasn't as immediate as the other music acid casualties of the late 60's (Roky Erickson, Syd Barrett, and Skip Spence). I'm sure without LSD Green would've left Fleetwood Mac in time (not as soon), and he would've been one of the best blues session guitarists for the rest of his life.

If anyone wants to hear the "real" Peter Green, buy Otis Spann's "Biggest Thing Since Colossus" CD. You will not be disappointed.

Something snapped in 1969. Peter Green in May '69 was interviewed for a John Mayall documentary. He was sharp, quick witted, and intense. Go to December '69 in a Detriot TV studio. Peter Green was shy, mush mouthed, and indifferent. Yet Green was still "with it" 2/70.

pez likes this.
  14. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Why do some people try to perpetuate the myth that LSD leads to schizophrenia?? It's certainly not part of mainstream psychiatric dogma, which one would think it would be (if true) after all this time.

People who manifest into schizophrenia often have a definable "break" from reality; others do so more gradually. ANY drug (many not even "psychoactive") along with many other possible triggers can lead to that observable "break"; nothing special about LSD.

15. WickedUncleWndr

Seriously, are you kidding? Skip Spence, Syd Barrett, and Roky Erickson were heavy dosers. Erickson claimed he dosed 300 times by 1968. You're going to tell me that these three people would have been diagnosed as schizophrenics within the same year, if LSD didn't exist? There's no connection? Would you like to hear from the likes of Richard Wright (RIP) who saw Syd Barrett destroy himself? Would you like to hear from Barrett's doctor that his brain had been damaged beyond repair???

I personally know what an acid casualty is. I knew a great bass player/cellist in high school. He was very bright, a member of the honors society in my high school. He later went to college, took acid a handful of times, and never came back. It took him 15 years to rebuild his life as a independent member of society.

List me the beer/booze, and pot casualties that wake up the next day, and are different people. Sure, those brain cells were killed, but not the ones that change your life, forever! You must be one of those lost souls who still follows "The Dead" without Jerry Garcia.

pez likes this.
  16. hoggydoggy

I'm not familiar enough with the facts of this debate, so won't engage in the LSD argument, and I enjoy (and agree with) your views on Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac but would say that, if rbbert is who I think it is, that is a bit harsh.

This is someone who has added a great deal to our (or my, at least!) music library and appreciation of some superb live music, that ISN'T "The Dead", incidentally. ;) :)

17. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

The best hope is with Audio Fidelity, now that Rhino has been downsized.

It certainly would fit in with the Mayall Bluesbreakers in the Blues Rock legend.

18. WickedUncleWndr

I typed that comment, then I looked up his post history. I was right. :D I took a stereotypical stab in the dark, and I was correct. BTW I like the Grateful Dead as well, I just cut ties after Brent Mydland killed himself. Whether it was accidental or not is up for debate. He had some legal issues at the time. Jerry's "Deal" from Buffalo 7/4/89 is the last time he had the fire of the late 60's and early 70's. After Brent died, Jerry became a shell of himself.

Seriously, this is a subject that hits home personally. I feel insulted by some that feel certain drugs are safe when it's obvious they aren't. Lysergic Acid Diethylamide has destroyed lives.

19. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Most drugs have. Some just do it in a more spectacular or obvious fashion is all.

20. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

Another vote for Then Play On release by Audio Fidelity. On vinyl and the same song order as the English first press.

21. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Way back on the "LSD causes schizophrenia" threadcrap: don't you think there might have been something already wrong with a person who decides to use LSD 300 times in a couple of years?? "Heavy doser" is strong evidence of serious pre-existing psychopathology.

I lost interest in seeing the GD long before Jerry died, and am pretty well known as a '60 and '70's freak as far as the GD is concerned.

22. Buzzz

Buzzz Forum Resident

I think a sensible discussion about drugs and their impacts can be had without having harsh disagreements... (I hope so, anyway :)).

Back to the topic: even when Rhino was in full swing, Warner seemed loathe to put out anything with the name "Fleetwood Mac" on it that wasn't Buckingham-Nicks, for fear that someone would be disappointed/confused and future mega-profits would be hurt. You'd think nowadays, they'd be happy to make a dollar off anything... but I suppose if the UK riights are held by someone else, that could complicate things a bit.

FWIW, Warner does have a good source for the album somewhere - if you listen to "Oh Well" and "Rattlesnake Shake" on 25 Years: The Chain, they sound noticably better than on the 80's TPO cd (whereas Sony's 2003 Very Best of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac seems to be cloned from the 80's disc, for those tracks anyway).

23. csblue

csblue Forum Resident

If you look closer on Wikipedia, you will see there are actually four versions of this album; the original UK vinyl, two different US vinyl versions, and yet even a different version that made it to CD combining some of the above.

I did my own deluxe CD version on needledrop to deal with these differences. You can check it out here...

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=209887 :)

24. WickedUncleWndr

The simple question is why did Peter Green reject his lifestyle instead of going completely nuts ala Roky Erickson, Skip Spence, and Syd Barrett?? He didn't dose enough?? He dosed enough to kill all of his previous ambitions as one of the best british guitarists of all time. He rejected the music industry for many years. Then during the early-mid 70's Peter Green became violent, and forced his family to send him to a mental institution. A MI that still accepted ECT. It's those years in the mid 70's that killed Peter Green's fire as a guitarist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.