Dismiss Notice
We are rebuilding the search index and other forum caches this morning. Search results may not appear correct until indexing has completed, and the forum may respond a little slower than normal until this has finished.

Which of the current music streaming services do you use/prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stereosound, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Stereosound

3. Stereosound

4. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Used CD buyer's market still going strong here.

bhazen likes this.
  5. angelo73

angelo73 Cast Your Fate to the Wind

An ongoing Qobuz subscription was gifted to me as a customer-loyalty perk from one of my insurance carriers. I really like it.
    They offer an extraordinary number of highly sought-after yet very obscure and otherwise scarcely-obtainable mid-2Oth century recordings. Of course I never tried any of the other premium streaming services, only free-Spotify for a minute which is mp3 and hurts my ears, so I have nothing to compare Qobuz with, but I do like having on-the-go access to music I own as well as some music that I don't yet own (only because I refuse to pay stupid money for out-of-print items that will be back in print on CD before long). But now I dont have to wait for a lot of that stuff to get reissued - much of it is up on the platform. It also helps me decide what to buy. My monthly CD spending has actually increased about 8OO% this year because of Qobuz!
    :)

benzo and Staxus like this.
  6. angelo73

angelo73 Cast Your Fate to the Wind

Qobuz has a quirky search function.
    Tricky to use but once you know the workarounds, you can get to stuff that doesn't come up as readily as it should.
    It helps having a vast knowledge of labels, so that is part of how I manage to make-do with the app's shortcomings. They are a young company and welcome feedback so hopefully their search function will improve. At least part of the problem is mis-filed artists, some confusion between artists and bands with same or similar names, occasional misspellings, and other syntax anomalies. I am quite surprised by the great number of obscure bands' names from the 196Os & '7Os that are being re-used by contemporary artists. So far I have searched about one-hundred relatively-to-very obscure bands and instead of finding the group I was looking for have turned up some 21st-century artist now using the name . Sometimes I get both of the same-named bands' albums clustered together under a single listing. I'm sure things will get sorted out over time.

7. Stereosound

8. cdash99

cdash99 Forum Resident

I want my
    I want my
    I want my ATV

9. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

I just changed my vote:

Went from Amazon Music HD to Tidal.

From SQ POV I do not have a preference for Amazon Ultra HD/Tidal Masters.

But I changed from Amazon HD to Tidal because the more I dig into Amazon HD, the more errors I find. Just the straight up wrong track very often.. not even necessarily "deep cuts" live Grateful Dead albums mistracked more than once. And for hip-hop the censored version often comes up when I'm playing the explicit album. And I'm not talking about particularly "deep" listening. I'm talking about albums that charted. If so little care is paid to these albums, it just makes me think when I'm trying to listen to an album I have no familiarity with, or even a classical recording where there won't be dead give-a-ways, how many errors are there?

I support both apps, because I have the means to, and I don't want hi-rez streaming to ever disappear.

But Tidal is the winner hands-down, just because it doesn't suck

displayname likes this.
  10. Stereosound

11. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I use Plex to stream my own music from my SSD.
    Too bad that there’s no option in the poll for that.

jasn and SeeDeeFirth like this.
  12. That's because some have a mental block about streaming, and don't consider a local library to be streaming.
    I use my personal library all the time, and is my primary digital source.

To be fair, there is an "Other service not listed" option, which could be a catch all fallback.

Stereosound and Staxus like this.
  13. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Well... if it's your own music you're streaming from your own software, I would hardly call it a "service"... maybe a self-service haha
    It's just an application to stream, instead of an application to play music on the device itself (e.g. Plex vs Foobar2000).
    The Plex mobile app is a one time purchase, so it's not a service in terms of "access to software" either; I actually bought it (in contrast to their Plex Pass subscription plans).

14. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

15. Stereosound

16. Stereosound

17. Stereosound

18. Stereosound

19. bhazen

bhazen Fab Fourever

Spotify

20. Bevok

Bevok Well-Known Member

I think Tidal recommendations and adaptability to the user’s tastes have come a long way. I can’t quit Apple Music though, I feel the new radio stations and burgeoning content they’re resulting in e.g. Southern Accents, Six Degrees, Bruce Springsteen’s show, result in a lot of learning and great music discovery (I can’t keep up with the content!).

wgriel likes this.
  21. Stereosound

22. Stereosound

23. Stereosound

Qobuz is now looking for Beta testers for it’s app on iPhone, Apple TV and Apple Watch if anyone is interested see more info. here: Join the Qobuz beta

24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It would be interesting to limit this poll to only those who PAY for their streaming service, thereby removing much of the Spotify vote.

25. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I pay for Spotify, and love it.

sharedon and Eigenvector like this.