Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Which of the current music streaming services do you use/prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stereosound, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

was a Spotify guy since pretty much its inception. decided to try both Tidal and Amazon HD with their free trial offers. I've stuck with Amazon, as their library is bigger and it's 13 quid a month (with prime) as opposed to Tidal at 20 notes.

for me, Amazon sounds a little better, too - so a no brainer

Crawdad likes this.
  3. Crawdad

Crawdad Detroit Rock Citizen living in a Vinyl Free Zone

I use Apple in the car. Because I'm working from home I'm not driving much. I've always been on and off Amazon because I have Prime. I've tried Tidal and Qobuz, not impressed with their interfaces.

4. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

I've always used Spotify premium but Deezer had a 50% off Black Friday sale last year so I thought I'd give them a try. So it's pretty good,sound quality is fine and I can find everything I want to on there. Spotify is perhaps more interactive but I'll wait till my year long subscription is up to think if I want to change back.

5. Stereosound

6. normanr

normanr Well-Known Member

I just switched to Deezer HiFi because of the 50% discount if you sign up for a year through Sonos. I've always found the sound quality on Deezer to be very good but so far the Hifi version doesn't sound particularly impressive on my Sonos Beam (I checked in the app and it's streaming in FLAC). The recommended playlists and Flow are not great and the Deezer interface in the Sonos app is poor. For some reason the only streaming service that "gets" my taste in music is Amazon Music; even the basic Prime service consistently finds me new music that I like. Maybe their algorithm is better at reflecting the interests of people who listen to a wide variety of genres?

7. Stereosound

8. guestuser

guestuser Well-Known Member

Amazon HD was my main streaming service but I got frustrated by two things: they let you stream songs at higher quality than you can buy/download them, and they don't integrated with Audirvana, which is what I use for playback on my music server. A month or so ago, I switched over to Qobuz and am really enjoying the service.

9. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Spotify for me. I don't do any serious listening with streaming services, so it's perfect for me. I use it while working, but never if I'm sitting to just listen to music.

10. izeek

izeek Well-Known Member

1. Spotify-because it has the largest edm listing so far. I also like the list algorithm on playlists and songs during shuffle-play. It also has a much larger library than Tidal, and most other services. There seems to be a lot of stuff easily found on Spotify that are not available on Tidal. While you might not find as much Amy Rigby as you'd like, you'll find it. And if Spotify doesn't have it, you'll have to do some searching for it.
    The UI is hands down the easiest to use.
    Premium is pretty good as far as I'm concerned.
    Lossless, no, but versus regular streams, absolutely better. Lossless isn't a big deal for me.
    2. Tidal-second in line. It does have better SQ I feel. But the library leaves much to be desired for me. I also occasionally get screeches that sound like high frequency distortion that have me worrying about my tweeters. They just show up like an Outer Limits creature.
    3. House-mixes.com because their edm library is humongous. The only real shortfall is that most of the music is podcasts. They do have single tracks but you'd be just surfing. It's nice to have track-listing but not every podcast does.
    The work-around is to song search on chrome or a music search app whatever you heard that you'd like.
    I don't download much. I stopped listening to radio 12yrs or so ago. I got tired of hearing the same thing over and over ad nauseum. How about some NEW rnb? Sick of them oldies everyday.
    So Spotify definitely opens up the chunes for me.

11. Stereosound

12. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

13. Stereosound

Chris states in the podcast that he records in high resolution but unfortunately all the podcast providers only accept mp3 so he has to send it in like that. You should also be able to listen to it straight from the link I posted to his website.

14. Stereosound

15. Stereosound

16. geezin'

geezin' Forum Resident

Been using Spotify free version to get my feet wet with a new source of music. I like it so far.

17. Stereosound

18. Stereosound

19. Stereosound

Live stream with David Solomon (Qobuz) and Director of Product (Roon) Mike Fass on Thursday February 25th at 4:00pm.

Link for more info. here: David Solomon

20. George Ab

George Ab Well-Known Member

Qobuz. Seamlessly integrated into my music server Roon has the type of music I listen to. Tons of hi-rez

rockin_since_58 and Kristofa like this.
  21. Stereosound

22. Stereosound

Spotify just announced they will have a HiFi tier coming later this year. About F@*king time Spotify!!! They better get bit perfect output correct out of the gate as well and better damn not be using mqa!!!

23. Stereosound

24. cdash99

cdash99 Forum Resident

Where this is a nearly 2 hour presentation, at what point to they discuss their HiFi offering, and are they capping at CD level or are they going Hi Res?

25. TimM

TimM Senior Member

This could be great news, but I'll need a lot more detail before I get excited.