Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Which of the current music streaming services do you use/prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stereosound, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes I wouldn’t get excited yet either. Will have to wait for the details.

displayname likes this.
  2. Stereosound

My time is expensive too. How much are you paying me to tell you? No details yet just that they are is all it says. Nothing to get excited about until they tell us more. Unless you want to hear Billie Eilish and her brother talk about hifi. They can’t explain it any better than anyone else that has tried:

3. Stereosound

Spotify also said they will be expanding into other countries as well.

4. BobSmith8901

BobSmith8901 Forum Resident

5. hoffmanuser2020

hoffmanuser2020 Well-Known Member

6. Stereosound

Remains to be seen if Spotify will offer higher resolution than CD but so far looks like CD only. Will have to wait and see what all the details are when they release it: Five Things to Know About Spotify HiFi — Spotify

If it’s only CD quality and not higher than Deezer is the one that needs to worry.

displayname likes this.
  7. hoffmanuser2020

hoffmanuser2020 Well-Known Member

Discussion the new Hi Fi service starts at 40:17. There isn't much information provided. They just fade into another video by Billie Eilish, which can be watched separately.

Note that the whole 2-hour presentation is worth watching. It's very well done with the production quality of an Apple presentation. But one thing we can all appreciate is all the audio gear in the background.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. cdash99

cdash99 Forum Resident

No offense intended. I didn't know if you had watched the presentation.

9. Stereosound

Sorry if I misread you. I did happen to catch the HiFi news and the country expansion parts but I have not watched the whole thing as I just happened to stumble upon it but didn’t have time to continue watching the rest. These were the only real important topics anyway and they didn’t say much at all about them. It will gain Spotify some subscribers back that have left for the other services. If it’s only CD quality Spotify offers and not higher than Deezer should be worried and I think Tidal to an extent. That leaves Apple Music, Pandora/SiriusXM, YouTube Music (and if you count them IHeartRadio) as the holdouts. Apple would be wise to be next and immediately so as not to loose market share.

10. Which of the services is the most reliable insofar as signal and the fewest detrimental anomalies like stuttering? Any standout in that respect or is it all down to the wireless gods?

11. cdash99

cdash99 Forum Resident

SXM has such a different content presentation model I don’t think they need to change for the sake of keeping up with the others. The Pandora side of the company is as relevant as Yahoo these days.

12. Stereosound

Keep seeing differing posts about that. Seems to come down to individual experiences with no real explanation as to why. Wireless gods probably have at least something to do with it but there may be other factors as well. Who knows?

13. Stereosound

Not the wisest of purchases by SXM seeing they haven’t done a thing with Pandora since acquiring them and they have had plenty of time to even try to turn it around.

14. Tyler

Tyler Forum Resident

The devil is in the details, but Spotify adding a lossless streaming tier is huge. As a Qobuz user, I’m frustrated by the slow application on ios, the horrible search results, and the fact that lately more and more things I DISCOVER on Spotify aren’t available on Qobuz.

My Spotify Hifi tier wishlist:
    -No MQA, just stick to FLAC or ALAC containers. As a reminder, MQA is not lossless.
    -DRM free High-Res and Redbook download shop (ala Qobuz, not holding my breath on this one)
    -Competitive pricing with Tidal and Qobuz

About MQA, we don’t need a proprietary, lossy codec for streaming. Period.

Bubbamike, Steve356 and displayname like this.
  15. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

This will be the end of Qobuz and Deezer, and probably Roon.

16. cdash99

cdash99 Forum Resident

I have to think that there is something in Pandora's underlying technology that they're benefitting from, because the product itself is Dead Man Walking.

17. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

I have Spotify and Deezer with zero complaints/problems...looks like we're only about 60 ish miles apart but likely share Canadian 3rd world internet lol.Seriously though get Spotify and be happy :)

18. Stereosound

You forgot Tidal. While they will loose customers it still remains to be seen exactly what Spotify offers. If it’s just CD resolution then Deezer needs to worry the most I think. Tidal would loose previous Spotify customers that would like to switch back. Qobuz may loose a few but as long as Spotify only offers CD resolution rather than higher than CD the audiophiles may choose to stay with Qobuz or maybe Amazon or Tidal. If Spotify offers higher than CD resolution then yes they could all be in trouble.

displayname likes this.
  19. Stereosound

I do like there genome project as it seems to sorta work. How good is it compared with the other services is questionable. Too bad Qobuz couldn’t of bought Pandora then they would of had a radio feature immediately. They have one coming sometime this year though. Wonder how long it will take for the dust to settle to see who looses the most subscribers?

20. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

I didn't forget Tidal. Only a small percentage of their subscribers are hifi. Mqa is a joke and a fraud. Tidal is a small niche with a great catalog and nice apps. The users who are happy with their "normal" tier won't change. The hifi subscribers who might switch are a rounding error.

21. Stereosound

They may still need those extra people. Depending on how quickly they may be loosing money. Time will tell of course.

SKBubba likes this.
  22. Stereosound

23. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Forum Resident

I’m in on Day 1. Our family uses Spotify Premium every day, and this would mean I can cancel Tidal HiFi.

Stereosound likes this.
  24. Pandora has the best algorithms.

TimM likes this.
  25. Stereosound

Shame that SiriusXM is letting Pandora waste away. Hopefully another music streaming service can/will eventually acquire it from them.

Bungo and Freebird like this.