Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Which of the current music streaming services do you use/prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stereosound, Oct 4, 2016.

1. VapourTrailUS

VapourTrailUS Internet “Person”

Im wedded to Spotify it turns out. Have tried Amazon, which was fine. Had a good selection of high res albums. Then tried Tidal, which was also ok and same with Qobuz (which I thought sounded better than Tidal but has some UI issues I don't like).

But after years of being on Spotify, and an increasing reliance on physical media for much of my listening at the moment (vinyl) I'm extremely handcuffed to the playlists I've set up and don't feel the need to have high res/MQA whatever in my life. And playlist transfer software is far from perfect. Also, the catalog size is the best.

2. A quick internet search reveals that Apple Music’s catalog is bigger, which I presume makes it the best.

3. VapourTrailUS

fair enough.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  4. I do have to assume you equate size to greatness. Maybe a medium sized catalog is best?

5. NorthSidePark

NorthSidePark Well-Known Member

Spotify - so easy to use and enjoy.

6. All these catalogs would be plenty good for me. Imagine any one of them in discs in my house. Ouch!

Freebird likes this.
  7. Unless you want to incorporate your own library with it.

8. VapourTrailUS

I don't know why you're trolling for static unless you're actually this bored on a Friday my dude. Who cares.

9. I just want to know....what catalog size is the best since you know. Is it something other than size?

10. VapourTrailUS

You don't want to know. You want to look snarky and cute and impress god knows who.
    My catalog size reference could be taken as a comparison against the actual music services I was speaking about in the paragraph above. And is in particular in reference to whatever music I like to specifically listen to and not an account of overall x number of songs.

Billy Infinity and TimM like this.
  11. I do want to know. So size doesn’t matter?

12. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

13. guestuser

guestuser My hifi’s name is Teddy

I don't know if this is true with Apple's library but Amazon has many of the same albums listed multiple times. I was an early user of their service and had many, many saved albums and tracks become "unavailable" only to find them relisted with a different product ID. To me, size matters less than having a well-curated selection that can be relied upon.

Freebird likes this.
  14. Stereosound

15. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

I have just changed my vote to Qobuz. I have been using Tidal hifi for several years now. Following a recommendation from a friend, I am now trying out Qobuz. In terms of sound, Qobuz has been quite a bit better on the albums I have tried so far (only began the trial period yesterday). In terms of selection, so far I have found Qobuz to have a Sibelius/Karajan album that Tidal doesn't have anymore--OTOH, Qobuz doesn't have any albums by Kamelot. I'll probably continue with Qobuz, unsubcribe to Tidal Hifi, and switch to the standard Tidal, which I can have for free through my Coop membership.

angelo73 and guestuser like this.
  16. Stereosound

Qobuz has the best best sound quality. While they have improved their catalog they are still missing some titles the others have probably because they are still working on deals with Distrokid and Tunecore distribution companies. Don’t know about others. They may have titles from Distrokid sometime soon as I think they mentioned they were getting ready to implement. With Tunecore it may take longer due to technical issues on Tunecore’s end Qobuz is waiting for them to correct. Qobuz also is working on implementing a couple of features and was hoping to have them available sometime this year. Tidal isn’t worth it because of their titles being polluted with their awful choice of using MQA. Don’t feed the scam with your money. Spotify has a HiFi tier coming later this year to select markets. Deezer HiFi and Amazon HD are the only other options but both have their problems as well. Neither can output bit perfect and people may have complaints about the limits on the features or the UI/UX of both. Sound quality still better with Qobuz so for now you have to pick your poison. Keep bugging Qobuz to improve it’s features because it has the best sound quality or bug the others to improve their sound quality and/or features. In the meantime try requesting your missing albums/tracks from Qobuz here: Why don't you have this? - Airtable

why not to use Tidal:

Crawdad and guestuser like this.
  17. VapourTrailUS

Yeah, that MQA video is pretty savage.

Crawdad likes this.
  18. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

I don't know if this video has been linked to in the thread:

It is quite shocking. I didn't think much about MQA but I wasn't aware just how malicious it is. This video gives an at least partial explanation for why Qobuz and probably other streaming services sound better.

Crawdad, Sterling1 and Stereosound like this.
  19. 80talisten

80talisten Forum Resident

I do not use a streaming service. I have never liked it. I run FLAC files. Both high resolution and regular FLAC. I play it from my laptop which is connected to my Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 to my amplifier.

20. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Well, the first album I played from Tidal--several years back--did not sound good compared to the download of the title that I had. But I compared other albums and didn't find any difference, so I have more or less switched to streaming only, except for titles that aren't available on Tidal. But my comparison back then was before MQA had gained much traction, so maybe in the meantime SQ on Tidal has deteriorated? In any case, both bc of SQ and bc I don't want to support the evil that is MQA, I'm ditching Tidal Hifi.

Crawdad, Stereosound and Sterling1 like this.
  21. 80talisten

80talisten Forum Resident

I almost always try to support the artists by buying their album digitally. I pretty much have 24 bit FLACs. all of these are purchased. Well then it's Tidal I would use because of the quality. Maybe later in that case.

Then I buy LPs when it comes to physical media

22. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

The video is in a post just two above yours on the same page as yours. :shrug:

23. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

OK. Sorry ... Didn't feel like reading through 114 pages but you're right--I could have checked the most recent pages. Can't delete it now :shrug:

500Homeruns likes this.
  24. John Beasley

John Beasley Paul McCartney's illegitimate son

Physical Media Only for me.

Manutius likes this.
  25. Mindhead1

Mindhead1 Well-Known Member

I ripped all my CDs to FLAC about 5 years ago and have been happily steaming since. My current service of choice is Qobuz. The only music I purchase these days is on vinyl.

MQA never appealed to me because of the hardware costs associated with getting it to work, not to mention the price premium for Tidal compared to Qobuz or Amazon Music services which work with my existing DACs.

Khorn likes this.